Should I sell my damaged 938's or repair?

fishwater

Should I sell my damaged 938's or repair?
« on: 21 Apr 2011, 02:27 am »
I have had a set of 938's that were damaged in shipping over 3 years ago. They need two drivers & a crossover assembly. The drivers were damaged in shipping & the crossover is actually fine but one of the binding posts snapped flush. I have held onto them & used them as monitors but now it may be time to move on. Should I sell them, repair them with the proper drivers if they are even available? Or do I try to retrofit some woofers instead & maybe put 1 new woofer in each bass module & then find a simple crossover?? Sure could use some direction.

Doubleblind

• Arcam AVR600; Oppo BDP83SE;Hyperion 938; Axiom sur
Re: Should I sell my damaged 938's or repair?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2011, 03:12 am »
See if you can obtain replacement drivers by Hyperion first (er, um, good luck). 

I have tried to find a Hyperion replacement driver for the centre channel on both coasts, with no luck the last time I checked, and I have now moved on to another centre channel by another manufacturer, and sadly I have given up on a Hyperion replacement.

I don't think you will find the same technology as the Hyperions, but I have not checked out this path.

Best of luck!

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2011, 01:47 pm »
I bought my Hyperion 938's in Belgium at http://www.klinktbeter.be/
He ringed me if i would want to buy his spare drivers but i refused, maybe he still has them in stock, this guy should understand English, you can email him and send him my regards as the guy who bought his 938 demo speakers, my name is Dany and the name of the seller is Frederic. :wink: It's a pitty your speakers are damaged but these are very great speakers and apart from some reference systems wich cost 10 times more then this i haven't heard anything better, it's worthwhile to to let these speakers sing!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm »
  A fine speaker is a fine speaker, saying that has Albert responded ? If it can be arranged the cost of the dribvers certainly will be much much less than buying a new speaker to match the 938s performance.
  It is puzzling to me to hear no response. They are good people at Hyperion, something must be up.

charles

srb

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2011, 04:20 pm »
Apparently it can be somewhat difficult to get replacement parts.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63562.0

Steve

fishwater

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:47 am »
Well actually, I emailed them & they contacted me the very next day. They have the woofers in stock & the crossover will take a few weeks but they also offered me a new lower bass cabinet that they have in B stock. Now all I need to do is decide whether I want to purchase that or sell them.

gogg

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:18 pm »
That's very nice. Keep us informed about your choice. Would you inform me (PM) about prices they offered to you?