Here's one for Danny.....

Danny Richie

Re: Here's one for Danny.....
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jun 2012, 09:04 pm »
Danny some of us guys can build some pretty complex boxes. Bent laminations
are not a big deal. Even fiberglass (carbon is easy to incorporate) is not beyond
a lot of folks ability. That's exactly the way my neighbor built his airplane.
And I do bent laminations every now and then.

There is always a possibility I can get something worked out for you on one of these new Serenity models. It would have to be replicated to a T though. Any baffle changes or loading changes on these planar magnetic drivers really alters the response. I really don't have the authority so say for sure what can be let out or released with these for a special client, but I will work on it. Sometimes prototypes give moved around pretty cheaply once they have served their development needs.     

Have to say that very high end DSP stuff has been around a while. The studios
and cinema production folks have been using it for a time. I know because I
did that sort of work once upon a time.
I got a few DSP things I could run past you, but not on the internet.

Oh, I know that is has been around a long time. I was working with a client that was designing his own digital crossovers back in the year 2000. He was way ahead of anything else at the time.

But current systems, even new DEQX systems are FAR from high end. Most of them literally suck life out of the music. My current DAC and digital play back system over shadows them badly. In fact I get MUCH better sound from my digital system and a passive crossover than any of the current digital crossovers. Some of them are using good DAC chips now. But the amount of processing, poor parts quality of other components, and noisy power supplies negate everything.

gprro

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jun 2012, 11:14 pm »
Some cool things in in the works for sure! How do the wave guides play with ob midrange sections( x-oticas are something like that if I recall)? Any thing funky having the directional control in the tweeter with dipole mids? Or anything to be gained by doing a matching or offset bipole arrangement on the back? You'd lose the ob advantages though. 

LarryB

« Reply #42 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:35 pm »
Most of them literally suck life out of the music.

You guys are determined to drive me over the edge. :)

Figuratively, not literally.

Larry-once an editor, always an editor-B

rockdrummer

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:56 pm »
 :D :D :D

Looking forward to the new X series!!

Ben

seadogs1

« Reply #44 on: 30 Sep 2012, 08:52 pm »
Well you were talking dream speaker. And what this little mini-monitor is a bit of a dream. No other monitor sized speaker has 93db sensitivity and hits a -3db of 20Hz. All of coarse that's all due to its integrated stand with servo controlled bass.

Danny does the integrated stand with servo controlled bass come with a build in amp? I know this is still in the planing stages but can you tell us if it will be released in the coming year? Will there be somewhere we can audition one before we buy or try one at home?

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 30 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm »
Danny does the integrated stand with servo controlled bass come with a build in amp? I know this is still in the planing stages but can you tell us if it will be released in the coming year? Will there be somewhere we can audition one before we buy or try one at home?

The servo amps are built into the stands. I would like to say that the first completed, finished, and playing version will be ready before the end of the year. And there will be a means to hear before you buy.

jcotner

« Reply #46 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:15 am »
Well you were talking dream speaker. And what this little mini-monitor is a bit of a dream.

I went back and looked at the post I started the thread with.
There was a cost constraint of $3000 for drivers and crossover
and I was assuming a DIY cabinet.

$20,000 for a speaker that is not a kit may be a dream speaker,
but not what I had in mind. I suppose the V might classify
except it's not a 2 way near field monitor.
Anyway it was really more of a hypothetical question, which was
the reason I asked for general parameters. So Danny did answer
some of those but it was for a speaker he was building anyway
at a completely different price point.

I've since gotten a speaker that Danny doesn't make anymore
and will be happy with it for some time, because it's the closest
thing to what I was asking for and was under $3000.

BTW this new Serenity monitor falls into the "reason I don't bother
to go to the Maserati showroom" type of catagory for me.  :dance: