B60 owner needs a new cd player

2 channel man

B60 owner needs a new cd player
« on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm »
Hi fellow Bryston owners I am in the process of shopping for a new cd player as my Myryad has bit it and isn't worth repairing . I am kind of trying to keep it smallish to match the B60 in a sense , I am not obsessed with small but I think the B60 with wrong with a cd player 14 x as large . So any thoughts ?

ps . Has anyone ever heard the Pro-Ject CD Box Se?

headshrinker2

Re: B60 owner needs a new cd player
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:16 am »
Hey 2 Channel Man,
Have you considered the Bryston BCD-1?  I've been extremely pleased with mine.  There are currently a bunch of them for sale on the used market.  Perhaps you could pick up a bargain?

Laird

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:22 am »
I just picked up a B60 myself and am getting rid of my player (long story) to go only networked.  Have you thought about getting something like a Squeezebox Duet and doing away with swapping plastic all the time? 

The receiver is tiny, the server runs on any PC/Mac/Linux box, or a $200 (without hard drives) NetGear NAS box.  My problem now though is the DAC in it is pretty crappy so I have to decide what DAC to get.

I was considering upgrading to the internal Bryston DAC but I'm not sure yet.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:36 am »
Hey 2 Channel Man,
Have you considered the Bryston BCD-1?  I've been extremely pleased with mine.  There are currently a bunch of them for sale on the used market.  Perhaps you could pick up a bargain?

2 Channel Man has another thread going on the same topic where he stated he was working with a $ 800-$1K budget and I haven't seen any BCD-1's going for that kind of pricing.

D.D.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:56 am »
I didn't see the other topic, but I figured there must be budgetary considerations, otherwise the BCD-1 would be the obvious answer in the Bryston forum as well as the obvious matching form factor/cosmetic choice as well.

They seem to go for around ~$1500 used.  I had in mind that the MSRP was $2700, but I see on Audio Advisor the current price has increased to $3200!

Steve

headshrinker2

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:47 pm »
Budget?

Hi fellow Bryston owners I am in the process of shopping for a new cd player as my Myryad has bit it and isn't worth repairing . I am kind of trying to keep it smallish to match the B60 in a sense , I am not obsessed with small but I think the B60 with wrong with a cd player 14 x as large . So any thoughts ?

ps . Has anyone ever heard the Pro-Ject CD Box Se?

2 channel man

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2011, 09:46 pm »
Hi sorry I forgot to mention budget , initially I though 800 - 1100 CDN $
But it would seem no one stocks anything ........Oh we can order that in for you ......just pay full pop for it up front and in 138 days when we place a order we will get you one in
grrrrrrrrrr

niels

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm »
Agree with Laird. I put all my music on a harddrive 6 years ago and put all my cd`s in the basement, never looked back. Anyway, I listen a lot to Spotify also.
A cd player to me is an obsolete product.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2011, 12:28 am »

Gawd you hard drive guys are evangelistic...Can we not just stick to answering the man's question? Waiting for the vinyl guys to hit the beach next and start fighting that war here...
Must every thread turn into a cat-herding exercise?  :?

D.D.

PS :  How about a REGA Apollo?  They are a nice-sounding CDP and price would be about right....

2 channel man

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:04 am »
I am NOT against computer based audio but I can't understand the camp that thinks we should throw out our cd players , are these the same morons who told us to get rid of our vinyl when cd was released? perhaps . I enjoy going out with friends making a day of it going for lunch looking at cds and vinyl . I suppose I could just sit a home download my music hey just stop cooking and order pizza to . Now if I were to take the cds of your collection that I like and put it on my hard drive then I would own all my music and have yours as well , So again not opposed to streaming but I am not going to stop buying cds or lps

SHV

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:29 am »
"So again not opposed to streaming but I am not going to stop buying cds or lps "
I buy CDs, LPs and have several CD players.  Since getting the BDA/BDP combination, the new CDs are loaded onto the BDP HD.  For ease of use, CD organization and personalized play lists,  the BDP has functionally replaced the CD player in my system.  The BDP-1 doesn't do streaming.

Steve

Diamond Dog

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:40 am »
Gawd you hard drive guys are evangelistic...Can we not just stick to answering the man's question?

"So again not opposed to streaming but I am not going to stop buying cds or lps "
I buy CDs, LPs and have several CD players.  Since getting the BDA/BDP combination, the new CDs are loaded onto the BDP HD.  For ease of use, CD organization and personalized play lists,  the BDP has functionally replaced the CD player in my system.  The BDP-1 doesn't do streaming.

I guess we cannot simply answer the man's question... Well, saddle up, pardners and let's herd some cats ! Yee Haw !!! :bounce:

D.D.

SHV

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:22 am »
"Well, saddle up, pardners and let's herd some cats "
I don't know about your cats but my cats refuse to be herded. :>)

Steve

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:37 am »
I owned a Rega Apollo with my B60.  Excellent combo IMO.  They're $1k US new, and about half that on the used market.

I sold it for a Rega DAC (fed by Apple TV 1).  A great self contained hard drive based system.  And yes, I still buy CDs and LPs.

The Rega DAC is also $1k US new, and quite a bit better than the Apollo.  Not as cheap second hand, as they haven't been around very long.

There's a review of the B60, PMC DB1, and Rega Planet 2000 on Bryston's Website (the Tone Audio review in the B60 page).  That'll give you an idea of what the Apollo sounds like with the B60. 

BrysTony

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2011, 03:48 am »
CDs are certainly not obsolete.  For me, however, CD players are obsolete.  When I get new CDs (two today) they immediately go into my computer for ripping and transfer to the hard drive that feeds my BDP-1.  Why do I do that? They sound better when played by the BDP-1 through my BDA-1 and the CD is immediately available for play.  No more careful organization of the physical CDs so that I can find what I want to play.  It is now just a couple of touches on my iPad and my selection is playing.  CDs are still the cheapest way to buy music.  I am not going to rip them and then sell them because I believe in supporting the music industry.  I have taken my CD player out of my rack because I am not using it and I know that I will never buy another.

The OP asked a legitimate question about which CD player he should buy to go with his B60 but as some of the other posters have alluded to the answer to the question could be "Don't spend your money on a CD player-- they are no longer needed."

Tony

Diamond Dog

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2011, 11:45 am »
"Well, saddle up, pardners and let's herd some cats "
I don't know about your cats but my cats refuse to be herded. :>)

Steve

Often heard, seldom herded...  :green:

D.D.

headshrinker2

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:58 pm »
Obviously, nothing wrong with wanting a CD player.  There are lots of truly great source options these days.  We live in great times, technologically speaking.  My ATV(2)/BDA-1 combo is strangely good, my BCD-1 is excellent, and my BDP/BDA is wonderful as well.   Too many choices!

Have you looked into the Oppo series of universal players?  Perhaps they have something in your budget?  You could always add a DAC later on? 

Laird

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2011, 04:18 pm »
Gawd you hard drive guys are evangelistic...Can we not just stick to answering the man's question? Waiting for the vinyl guys to hit the beach next and start fighting that war here...
Must every thread turn into a cat-herding exercise?  :?

D.D.

PS :  How about a REGA Apollo?  They are a nice-sounding CDP and price would be about right....

I wasn't trying to be evangelistic. I just assumed that 2 Channel Man has a limited budget and that he might consider other options and possibly save a future purchase/equipment swap.  I have nothing against CDs (I still buy most music that way), but I've never found that a key part of my enjoyment of music was swapping plastic disks.  Since the trend seems to be toward accessing music electronically I just suggested now might be a good time for him to make the change.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2011, 05:21 pm »
I wasn't trying to be evangelistic. I just assumed that 2 Channel Man has a limited budget and that he might consider other options and possibly save a future purchase/equipment swap.  I have nothing against CDs (I still buy most music that way), but I've never found that a key part of my enjoyment of music was swapping plastic disks.  Since the trend seems to be toward accessing music electronically I just suggested now might be a good time for him to make the change.

Not trying to be evangelistic ? Sure you were. Judging by the rest of the above quoted post,you still are. And you're assuming that the OP is either a) ignorant or b) backwards or c) ritualistic or d) some combination of the preceding three. And two posts in, you still haven't addressed the OP's original request,which was for CDP recommendations and/or opinions on one CDP in particular...
And don't start sentences with "and"... :green:

Git along, 'lil kitties ! Round 'em up ! Move 'em out! YEE HAW!!! :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWymXNPaU7g

D.D.

SHV

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm »
Meeeooow.....

From a personal perspective, I found this web site in May after I decided that I needed a new CD player.  I wanted information on the BCD-1.  After reading for a few weeks, my perspective changed and I bought BDA/BDP-1 combination.  I am still learning the ins and outs of the latest trends of the digital age, however, ease of use and library management with the IPad; not buying a CD player was the right choice for me.

Steve