Washing Machine Recommendations

Don_S

Re: Washing Machine Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2017, 03:09 pm »
Bought my mother a Whirlpool HE top-loader with almost no agitator to replace an ancient beast that failed. On her old machine she complained that sheets and blankets would get caught around the agitator and were hard for her (in her 90's) to remove. The Whirlpool was the only top-loader I saw that had a short agitator. The agitator is short and wide.

I do not like the fancy electronic controls that take 5 minutes of pre-wash nonsense before they get down to business. I see it as more things to fail. I miss the simplicity of being able to add a dropped sock once washing has started. I know it is still possible with new machines but you have to know the secret handshake and it disrupts the cycle. I get bullied enough by my computer, I like my washing machines stupid and obedient.  :lol:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2017, 03:14 pm »
I do not like the fancy electronic controls that take 5 minutes of pre-wash nonsense before they get down to business. I see it as more things to fail. I miss the simplicity of being able to add a dropped sock once washing has started. I know it is still possible with new machines but you have to know the secret handshake and it disrupts the cycle. I get bullied enough by my computer, I like my washing machines stupid and obedient.  :lol:

That's a big +1

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2017, 03:41 pm »
I looked up Speed Queen and all I could find were commercial products and a "local" distributor that is at least 2 hours away.   :scratch:

They have them at my local Fred's Appliance. They are pretty cool, all metal parts for gears and stuff. All mechanical option.

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2017, 04:24 pm »
They have them at my local Fred's Appliance. They are pretty cool, all metal parts for gears and stuff. All mechanical option.

Found them at RCWilley.

Mike B.

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2017, 04:31 pm »
I have a White Westinghouse washer and dryer I bought back in the 1980's. They both still work fine and I hope they will outlast me. I have several friends who bought new units and have already had to have repairs done. Put me in the mechanical controls camp also.

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2017, 04:50 pm »
I have a White Westinghouse washer and dryer I bought back in the 1980's. They both still work fine and I hope they will outlast me. I have several friends who bought new units and have already had to have repairs done. Put me in the mechanical controls camp also.

Yes, and ancient beasts are easier to repair.  I replaced the pump and something else on my washer and the heating coils on my electric dryer.  Getting the drum back in by myself was a challenge but I persisted.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2017, 05:10 pm »
Last month was the 20th anniversary of out Asko washer and dryer. There have been a few repairs over the years but we did at least one load of laundry every day during those years. It's a front loader with an electric dryer for a partner. We buy one box of detergent about every 8 months for maybe $12. The problem has never been about reliability. There have been some service issues over the years but the only problem there is in finding local repairmen who know what they looking at.
While the Asko stuff is still working, I'm looking into replacing them as part of my 5 year plan to design a trouble free retirement. I'm considering Miele which I perceive to be the world's best, but at $3500/pair for washer and dryer, I want to turn over every stone before I make a move. Does anyone here have Miele experience? Or Asko?
Overall, Miele has the most appealing profile. They are vertically integrated, meaning they manufacture nearly every part in house. It is a German family owned company. These facts are meaningful to me (ever more so) as I watch our corporations spend lavishly on cosmetics, advertising and lobbying while squeezing as much material and labor as they can out of the product they are lying about.

Bemopti123

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2017, 05:46 pm »
I do not trust premier brand stuff made overseas, especially European ones.  Perhaps is me reading a lot about German car brands that have expensive repair costs in comparison to their Japanese luxury counterparts.  I once spoke to a repairman who said the worst of the worst are those things that are filled with sensors and internet connections.  I consider an appliance that is simple in execution or spartan in look, something that will give you less issues than those with all the electronic bling.  But then, some people like Mercedes and some do like their Toyotas. One thing Miele I have is a vacuum.  It is excellent indeed but it was expensive in comparison to all the other standard Hoovers etc...

bummrush

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2017, 08:15 pm »
Whirlpool  USA

datman

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm »
+1 on Whirlpool. I won't buy any of their other appliances but their washing machines are terrific.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm »
I recently replaced a 4-year-old Maytag that the transmission replaced under warranty. This time I bought the extended warranty as I don't expect it to last 5 years. It's the first extended warranty I've ever purchased. Kind of see it as mandatory the way things are built now.

Don_S

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm »
I recently replaced a 4-year-old Maytag that the transmission replaced under warranty. This time I bought the extended warranty as I don't expect it to last 5 years. It's the first extended warranty I've ever purchased. Kind of see it as mandatory the way things are built now.

If you purchased the extended warranty you won't need it.  The Maytag will work just fine----until the extended warranty runs out.   :lol:

Some credit cards automatically extend the warranty but there is a limit. People tend to forget that.  That is one of the reasons I don't buy extended warranties.  The other reason is the rate on most of them is ridiculous.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm »
If you purchased the extended warranty you won't need it.  The Maytag will work just fine----until the extended warranty runs out.   :lol:

Oh no it won't. I'll see to that. :wink: :wink:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2017, 12:02 am »
I didn't pay attention to capacity, but I was in Costco a couple days ago. There was a GE top loader $569, a (maybe) Whirlpool top loader $599(?), and another models, but I forgot the brand(s). Costco automatically extends the warranty by 1 year, I believe.

Back in December, I bought a washer/dryer combo for a rental property. The washer's agitator was in the bottom of the tub. If I recall correctly, the washer cost $499 after whatever sale was going on at the time. I'm pretty sure it was a Whirlpool. While I was looking at that combo, I also paid close attention to the Speed Queen washer/dryer combo, and followed up with a bit of research. Excellent reviews; really good quality; really good service, and very happy owners is what I came away with.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2017, 12:57 am »
  That is one of the reasons I don't buy extended warranties.  The other reason is the rate on most of them is ridiculous.

I'm the same way, but when we bought a Samsung washer and dryer we bought the extended warranty at Lowes, maybe a 15% add-on.  The dryer bit the dust right before the warranty expired.  They simply refunded the total cost of the dryer because the fix was $$$.   One time I glad I bought the warranty.

Doublej

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2017, 01:11 am »
How can you beat Costco's 4 year warranty on appliances?

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html

Archguy

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:35 am »
One thing I learned with washing machines, which also applies to cars, audio, and much else.
Never buy the top-of-the-line ANYTHING. 
Took me years to learn this.

Archguy

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:37 am »
Which reminds me.  Read recently: never buy the next-to-cheapest wine in a restaurant.
They know what you're doing and that's always their cheapest, crappiest wine. 
Cheapest to them, I mean.  Always the top seller too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2017, 11:12 am »
I looked up Speed Queen and all I could find were commercial products and a "local" distributor that is at least 2 hours away.   :scratch:

Yes, Speed Queen washers/dryers are commercial products (the same models minus the coin box found in laundromats), which is why they're so simple/reliable.  I have two dealers in our town of 25,000.  Their cost is higher than the cheapest plastic junk but less than the electronics filled plastic junk everyone sells.  Recommended by my appliance repair guy.

And why would you want to mix water with electronics anyway (if there's an alternative)?

Note:  put washer in a shallow spill tub and add a battery powered water alarm ($25 total) to avoid nasty surprises.

djbnh

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm »
I don't want to come down firmly on one side v. the other in this discussion, I'll  just throw out some things. I used front loading Miele washers in Germany for three years and loved them. Bought one for us that had its own built in water heater, gave us nicely washed clothes but it lasted only 8 years, the post that held the drum gave way and it would have co$t ob$cenely to repair it. So we went to a front loader Fridgidaire and my wife prefers most of its features, including it continuing tumbling the clothes after the load is done to start air drying them - good if you're not around and don't want things to wrinkle. We've had it for 4 years and no issues. Then again, we've had our Sears propane dryer for 23 years and I've replaced out a belt and a switch, still running strong. As is my dad's Sears top loader of 25+ years.

Had a Mustang back in the day and loved the look of the car. Been running an Accord coupe for 8 years and wouldn't trade its handling, features, performance, low maintenance cost, etc. for that Mustang, or even a Model T. YMMV