Your experiences with bi-amping

runnerlk

Your experiences with bi-amping
« on: 22 Dec 2017, 11:44 pm »
Hi everyone.

I am in the process of demoing speakers as I look to possibly replace my beloved Von Schweikert VR 4 JR with a pair of Argos.
I will likely call Lou next week some time and get his feedback as well.
But interested in feedback from the field.
Not interested is discussing the pros and cons of the configuration just how the Daedalus line performs when horizontally bi-amped. In my particular config it's tubes feeding the m/t And a SS feeding the bass module.
I heard the Athena and Ulysses. Hoping the Argos would perform the same?

Thanks in advance

Lou

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Your experiences with bi-amping
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2017, 12:36 am »
Glad to hear that you are interested in looking at Some of Lou's speakers.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this posting will be short as None of the Daedalus speakers are Bi-Ampable.

Lou did build a set of his latest Biggest Mamajama Model for a show.  They were setup  to use 4of the new Modwright Tube amps.  In shipping one of the amps had a BooBoo so they just ran two Mono Block amps.  One right and one Left. 
( So the above paragraph is parafraised from a printed/web article and my special twist) :scratch:

Give Lou a call at the shop.  You might even mention here on AC your location as there might be some Daedalus owners in your area willing to do a demo.

Alan 

MegaHz

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2017, 01:32 am »
What tube amp do you own?  With the move to Daedalus you are looking at a much more efficient speaker.

runnerlk

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2017, 02:41 pm »
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize that his weren't bi-amp capable  :?
I will give him a call tho as I do love the sound. And I'm currently running a pair of Rogue M-150 tube monos to the M/T and an Emotiva SS amp to the bass modules. Gives me the tube beauty on the vocals..piano etc...and the punch in the bass. I recently had my Rogues in for repair so for a month I had to run with just the SS and there was a noticeable degradation in the highs since I had to empoly the data cable.

Lou

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2017, 03:26 pm »
I would think that Lou could probably make a speaker in any configuration that you are looking for. He is excellent to work with, and the finished product is stunning.

I have been running a pair of "Studios" in a nearfield setup for about 7 months, and the sound is great.

I am running them off of a Pass Labs XA30.8, and the needle never even flinches. Meaning, 30 watts gets the job done supremely well. I would believe the Argos are even more efficient, albeit only slightly more so. 

You should be able to find a tube amplifier that does both extremes well enough that you could trade in two amplifiers for one better one.

Good luck in your search!

MegaHz

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2017, 04:02 am »
The Rogue M-150's would supply plenty of juice for the 97.5 dB 1w/1m Argos on their own.  Particularly as you like the superior sonics from these amps you will max out by having them power all of the drivers.  Also makes it easier to get a cohesive sound as the two amps you own sound differently and that is not ideal for biamping. 

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2017, 05:57 pm »
I have avoided bi-amping and only did this with my systems a couple of times, with little success. What I have found is that with an efficient and balanced speaker like these the cons far outweigh the gains. Our 8" and 10" woofers do influence the midrange enough so that both amplifiers need to be identical or there is a serious loss of cohesiveness and a tonal blurring. We found that even in that case we would need VC on all amps to balance the system. (I'm not a fan of adding extra VC's into a system as that component is already one of the serious bottlenecks in the chain.) This is what happened at RMAF this year with the Zeus and why we abandoned the second set of power amps, turns out the one set of 30W SET was more than enough power anyway!  With the effeciensy and virtually flat impedance there really is no reason to bi-amp these systems.

I have used the Rogue amps with our systems before and they handle the bass very well and have way more than enough power, the M-150's will just purr and have maximum headroom.

In the next week I will publish a "spring cleaning garage sale" .... yes the days are getting longer (incrementally) and I'm an optimist... think spring! Usually we only have one or two demo units for audition etc but somehow we have accumulated a few extra and it is time to clean house. This will be a great chance to get full warranty new/demo speakers at used prices.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all :D

Thanks,
lou

cheech

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:15 pm »
runnerlk

For what it is worth, I have the Argos V2s, and have 3 different amps that I switch in and out

- Modwright LS100 (tube pre) Modwright KWA100SE (SS power amp - 120wpc)
- Line Magnetic 518IA  22wpc single end 845 based integrated
- Finale Audio 7189a MK2  20wpc push pull 7189a/EL84 based integrated

All of them easily drive the Argos without anything lacking across the bandwidth ,  in a roughly 28x20x10 room , and hardly ever going beyond 10-11 "on the dial".