Hi-Rez Newbie Question--Oppo 105 FLAC USB Thumb Drive? Good tutorial on Hi-Rez?

ACHiPo

I purchased my first hi-rez album--Cream Wheels of Fire, and I'm trying to figure out how to play it on my Oppo 105.  Unfortunately I don't have TV/monitor connected to the Oppo, which I suspect is making it more difficult.

I downloaded the album onto my PC HD, then copied them to a thumb drive.  I hoped that I could just plug the thumb drive into the USB on the Oppo, select it as a source, and hit play.  No luck.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also I'm interested in setting up a music server, but I'm stuck on how to get started.  Are there any good basic tutorials on using the Oppo 105 as a digital source?

Thanks in advance!

AC

Servingthemusic.com

First, all of the recent Cream 192 remasters are superb. From the original analog masters.

Second, I believe you are correct in that to navigate the thumb drive you do need a monitor attached to the Oppo.

The other thing you can try is to use the control app for pad, iPhone, or android. This requires your oppo to be connected to a network of course.  This may allow you to navigate the drive.

You can also keep files on your computer, and install DLNA software and have the Oppo stream it via the network.

Lastly, if you know how, just to be able to hear it, you can burn a DVD-a (not a data DVD).

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
When the Oppo boots up it is on Home.  Page one to the right then hit enter.  Should be on Music.  Hit enter again.  Now hit play.

Serving is correct...it will be much easier with the Oppo media server app.

I just did above on mine and it played the thumb drive

srb

Second, I believe you are correct in that to navigate the thumb drive you do need a monitor attached to the Oppo.

The other thing you can try is to use the control app for pad, iPhone, or android. This requires your oppo to be connected to a network of course.  This may allow you to navigate the drive.

That's correct.

From Oppo:

"Pop it [the USB drive] in the front-panel USB drive [port] and you'll be amazed at the lifelike sound. If you own an iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®, be sure to download Oppo's free MediaControlHD app, so you can browse and play songs from connected storage drives without turning on your TV."

Steve

ACHiPo

Awesome advice guys!  Thanks!  Off to try the iPad media control app now.

I contacted Oppo and asked about streaming wirelessly via the network and they said it couldn't be done.  Maybe with ethernet attached?

Servingthemusic.com

Ethernet is much preferred....but..what they said about wireless does not jive....you can stream Netflix, pandora, and Internet radio wirelessly...so network streaming is indeed available.

Phil A

If you go to the FAQ for the 105 (first link below) it tells you to look at the 103 capability as they are the same.  The 2nd link is 103 FAQ and the 3rd is the section addressing media servers:

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-105_Hardware_FAQ
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#dlna

ACHiPo

Listening to the thumb drive as I type.  Fantastic music and recording!  Thanks again.

Now to figure out how to use me PC as a music server.  I can run an ethernet cable to the 105, but it's about 3' too far to connect with USB.

I'll look through the 103 and 105 links.  Thanks.