New Dulcet owner

ad9000

New Dulcet owner
« on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:00 pm »
Hello. I recently acquired a pair of used Dulcets on Audiogon for $800, which I consider a steal. I really didn't know if they would work in my system or the room it's in, so it was relatively a shot in the dark. Unfortunately, the room is somewhat problematic acoustically and there are only so many solutions available to me in terms of speaker placement and room treatments due to aesthetic (read wifely) concerns.
The only stands I had available were Von Schweikerts which are ok but not great. With those and the position I first had the Dulcets in I was getting a huge upper-mid bass void. It almost sounded like the speakers were out of phase. With some experimentation in placement, especially putting the Dulcets closer together (8') and closer to the wall (about 1 1/2') I got some improvement. A much more dramatic result came from implementing Mapleshade maple bedrock stands. I was skeptical, especially the low height, but before ordering them I experimented with some butcher block pieces and brass weights that I had lying around to get an approximation of the effect. I could tell that I was on the right track, as imaging and bass were already better than with the VS stands. Anyway, with the Mapleshades I seemed to immediately gain about 1/2 octave of bass, tighter upper and mid bass, a much more focused quality overall, and surprisingly, a feeling of less output needed to drive the speakers.
Also, I replaced the stock Cardas jumpers with Zero Impedance Anti-cable jumpers, which was a big improvement. The Anti-jumpers are noticeably more open, less harsh and constricted than the stock ones.
Anyway, I'm really pleased with the Dulcets. They seem to be able to handle anything I can throw at them with grace and musicality, they sound much bigger than they are and perform admirably in a room that would appear to be a bit large for them (14 x 20, high ceilings).
I've already gained some good information on this forum and look forward to being part of it!

Associated equipment:
Denon 3910 player with full Audience mod
Portal Audio Panache amp
Zero Impedance Anti-cable interconnects and speaker wire
Audience Power Chords
Mapleshade Bedrock stands

mca

Re: New Dulcet owner
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:08 pm »
Congrats, sounds like a nice setup! Always thought the Mapleshade stands were an interesting idea, glad they worked for you.

panderso

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2006, 02:39 pm »
Congrats Ad9000!  You got a steal indeed.  FWIW, I found about 8' apart and 1 1/2' out from the wall just right for Dulcets in my room. 

I went through quite an odyssey over the last couple of years; loving the Dulcets over about a year and-a-half, then restlessly seeking some greater perfection, never achieved. Tried a number of speakers that offered more of this or that, but nothing as pleasing overall in my small den. My thoughts kept turning back to the Dulcets, as if to a lost lover...Just finished arrangements to buy back the very pair I traded in.  I didn't cut the great deal you did, but I know the pair...

I've had excellent results with the 28'' Skylan MDF stands, loaded with sand, with the top plate customized to the Dulcet base. I'm experimenting with a 1 foot square limestone paver, 1 3/4'' thick under the base of the stand, with promising initial impressions. The Mapleshade approach is very interesting though, I'd love to hear it.

If you care to tell us more about your Portal Panache as a match, I'd be very interested.  I expect to work backwards now and find the ideal integrated for the Dulcets.  I currently run the Nait 5i, which is very good, but I think there is better synergy to be achieved.  The ASL DT 1001 integrated added life and bloom; I hope to check out the Pathos Classic hybrid soon, and the Densen integrated, still open to suggestions.

Any more Dulcet lovers with stories to tell?

Enjoy,
        -paul-

ad9000

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2006, 06:41 pm »
Paul:
Your stands sound interesting, I hope they work out. What are you using in the way of cables?
I think the Panache is a pretty good match for the Dulcets, though I haven't don't have much basis for comparison, since the only other amp I've used with them is the NAD C320 in my spare room - even that combination didn't sound bad. I was a bit concerned about the Panache overpowering the Dulcets, but I don't listen much at high levels. The combination is a bit shouty when cranked up, but that is more the fault of my room acoustics than the components.
I find the Dulcets to have the ability to connect me with the music on an emotional level. I'd put the Panache in this category as well. To me, the Panache shines in the area where notes begin to disappear. It handles that information in an exceptionally musical way. I find it to have an excellent and deep soundstage, authoritative but not bloated bass and nice, airy treble.
Anyway, with the 60-day trial period, it might be worth giving the Panache a try - if it doesn't work out you would only be out the cost of the return shipping. Also, ask if they have any demo models available. Mine was a flawless demo unit that was only sent out for review, and I think I saved $400 on it.
Good luck,
Alan

panderso

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:54 pm »
Yes, I too find the Dulcets make that emotional connection with the music.  The Panache sounds complementary.  It looks like a deal is shaping up that will bring the Densen B-110 integrated my way first.
I've heard good things from a trusted source....

As to cable, latterly I had NACA 5 to go with my Nait 5i.  I have Van den Hul CS 122 hybrid, and will probably be trying some Atlas with the Densen-Dulcet pairing.  Still experimenting...

Enjoy,
    -paul-