need help/suggestions re CD ripper/tagger for Mac

Nick B

Over 10 years ago, I had someone rip and tag my 400 CDs. As I have some eclectic musical tastes, there were a number of CDs that weren’t identified and tagged and were missing album cover art. As I was a Windows user back then, I used EZCD DA and probably Media Monkey and Tag and Rename to make corrections. Neither program worked well and so I’d like to rip these again and add data/cover art manually if necessary. I’ve changed over to Mac since then. My files are flac and are on an external drive with another backup drive and I stream using Roon. I rip with an Apple SuperDrive.

I’ve downloaded Max and dbpoweramp so far and Max seems a bit more user friendly. When I tried to rip a test CD, both programs wanted to put it into iTunes.

1) My first question is do I have to put the ripped file into iTunes and then somehow export it into the external drive?
2) What are the best and most user friendly ripping/tagging programs for Mac?
3) If I need to locate cover art, does it need to be in a particular format...like jpeg?
4) If I locate the cover art, can I simply drag and drop it into the external drive’s particular flac album folder or is another step necessary?

Another option, and much more expensive, is to buy an Innuos Zen Mini 3 and use their ripping and tagging program. I’ve reviewed some YouTube videos on it and their Quick Start user manual and their software seems so user-friendly and intuitive. I can’t find a detailed user manual though nor access to a forum. I can use the Mini 3  with my current dedicated linear power supply. I currently use an Auralic Mini.

Thanks,
Nick

dB Cooper

Re: need help/suggestions re CD ripper/tagger for Mac
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:39 am »
You need 2 apps

XLD (free; ripping and basic tagging, look no further) (there's a 3rd party guide to settings you can find with a quick google)

and optional but recommended

Metadatics (Mac app Store) excellent for tagging/album artwork etc

mrpope64

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:15 am »
I just tried DBpoweramp software. Very happy with the results for ripping to Flac.
It is free for 21 days
I am just buying used Cds and just adding them to my NAS.

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2020, 05:50 pm »
You need 2 apps

XLD (free; ripping and basic tagging, look no further) (there's a 3rd party guide to settings you can find with a quick google)

and optional but recommended

Metadatics (Mac app Store) excellent for tagging/album artwork etc

OK, thx. I bought Metadatics and am looking at XLD. Two XLD tutorials I found were by Auralic and Hydrogenaudio.

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 05:52 pm »
I just tried DBpoweramp software. Very happy with the results for ripping to Flac.
It is free for 21 days
I am just buying used Cds and just adding them to my NAS.

Thx for your recommendation. Worked with dbpoweramp again late last night.

mrpope64

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2020, 05:10 am »
glad I could help :D