What's the pricing on your new preamp?

mingles

• my system
What's the pricing on your new preamp?
« on: 27 Aug 2008, 06:19 pm »
John, when you have a minute, can you give us the pricing on your new preamp?

thx, Mark

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: What's the pricing on your new preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2008, 09:56 pm »
Hello!

Hope you are doing well! I am on track to get the web update done for Friday - lots of new info and stuff on the page then! Pricing is:

1- Single Input RCA Unit with Dual RCA outputs ......$1400

2- Full  Featured Six input RCA Unit ...............$2000

3- Single Input True XLR Balanced Unit with Dual XLR Outputs.....$2250

Thansk!

John

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2008, 09:58 pm »
Hello!

Hope you are doing well! I am on track to get the web update done for Friday - lots of new info and stuff on the page then! Pricing is:

1- Single Input RCA Unit with Dual RCA outputs ......$1400

2- Full  Featured Six input RCA Unit ...............$2000

3- Single Input True XLR Balanced Unit with Dual XLR Outputs.....$2250

Thansk!

John

John, do you have the full XLR Balanced and RCA one?  Meaning, one XLR input and additional RCA outputs?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2008, 10:06 pm »
Hello!

I just wrote a reply to this basic question today via e-mail so I'll paste in in here:

"
While it is rather easy to put both RCA and xlr connections on the unit I am strugling a bit with finding a really good way to implement mixed signals. On the old TVC a lot of work went into getting it to 'convert' from rca to bal and bal to rca. Not easy but worked out pretty well when we were done.... With autoformers (by virtue of thier design) they will not ever 'convert' like that.... It's easy to make a bal unit and then add rca connections into the mix - just faking out grounds, etc to make the system work fine.  I have mixed feelings about doing the mixed bal/rca units unless they really do convert signals- since folks expect that if the plug in bal and go out rca - for example - that it is making full use of that bal input. Also the cost of the fully bal TAP-X would be pushing $3K and that is getting up there. Because of all that I decided to get this stuff rolling RCA only (or single input XLR) and then re-visit the mixed connections thing this fall when I get some clear head time.....
"

That kinda sums up where I am at with it! Any feedback on folks priorities would be great.

Thansk!

John

Badbones

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2008, 07:15 am »
Why are the prices way higher on the Bent website?  Over 2K for the
single RCA input. Is the "TAP" preamp something different than the
Preamp in this discussion? 

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2008, 01:38 pm »
Hello!

You were likely looking at the resistor based TAP units - the cost of making those is much less than the autoformer based units.......

All the pricing will be the same or lower than before - the web site will be updated by the end of today - finally!

The TAP-X Single RCA Input unit is $1400 and the six input unit is $2000 - much less than the prev incarnation of the TVC TAP pre-amp.

The single input XLR Fully Balanced unit is $2250 - much more than the RCA unit. That price leap is due to the huge cost of having 4 autoformer modules. To do a true bal unit right doubles these modules up and the speadsheet says that's what the pricing must be....

Must get back to the web page now. REALLY trying to get it online today.

Thanks!

John