Group Buy: MOVED TO NEW THREAD

RonR

Re: Group Buy: 22uF Solens for GK-1
« Reply #80 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:02 pm »
Hi West and Lyn,

Sorry, I tried to resist, but I couldn't keep my soldering iron away from that attenuator!  :lol:

I didn't order the Vishays at the same time, because I prefer to get them from Texas Components (http://www.texascomponents.com). The TX2352 is their version of the "Naked Vishay". These haven't arrived yet, so I'm using the TKD as supplied for now.

The AudioCaps and TKD are burning in now. I actually have all the caps wired up via 2 24-way selector switches, so I can switch between the AudioCaps, Sonicaps and Solens or any combination thereof at will. This is much better for A-B testing than just soldering in the caps under test, I can tell you!

First impressions last night and first thing this morning were fairly jaw-dropping, I just need to let it burn in for a few days and work out the contributions of the caps and attenuator by trying the other caps with the TKD.

Cheers,

Ron.

whubbard

« Reply #81 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:42 pm »
Thanks Ron.
That test setup sounds great and should allow for the greatest ability to tell the difference in the caps. Let us know once they are all burned in!

-West

kyrill

« Reply #82 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:56 pm »
yaw dropping
YES i know that wonderful feeling
my last was with Payl Hynes PWS for the SB3

then my brain gets accustomed to it, make it sound 'normal" again
and pushes me further to seek for the next jaw dropping..

haha but now  I know how to "hinder" that awful process

i switch back to my former pws, ( or possible former config)  get a "yuck" how could i listen to that before
force myself 30 minutes to listen to it ( without any involvement) and then ..
ah you know, got me warm fuzzy feeling again..

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #83 on: 28 Jun 2008, 02:42 am »
Never mind Ron, I understand only too well about the soldering iron.  I managed to have Hugh wielding his electronic wand within 48 hours of receiving my components.  Damn the expense. :duh:

Whilst I hope you don’t find the Solens too far down on the comparison chart, I will be a little surprised if you do. :o  My new set-up (with slightly bigger 24uF Solens) has just passed the 20-hour mark (far too impatient for a prior burn in) and profound, stunning or even jaw dropping is not too far off the mark.  Bearing in mind that too great a superlative leaves one no room for describing the next inevitable upgrade, suffice it to say that right now I would find it hard to believe that any further improvement with these components could be other than incremental though obviously possible.  The base is right back and it and the mids have noticeably thickened and tightened whilst the treble has sweetened.  I believe that it’s approaching a really mature overall sound now and has simply amazing detail. :D

All going to plan, Gerado (Theo) will be around early next week for a listen, as I would love to know what he thinks and see if I’ve kept my feet on the ground or if I’m being overly enthusiastic. Also, I am extremely aware that for me at least, a fabulous Soraya is also playing a huge part in the final wonderful sound I’m hearing.

By the way Kyrill, I like your way of thinking.  Here’s hoping that warm and fuzzy are the new normal. aa

stvnharr

« Reply #84 on: 30 Jun 2008, 03:35 am »

I didn't order the Vishays at the same time, because I prefer to get them from Texas Components (http://www.texascomponents.com). The TX2352 is their version of the "Naked Vishay". These haven't arrived yet, so I'm using the TKD as supplied for now.

Ron.

Ron,
Did you communicate with Texas Components by fax or by email?  I know they say fax on the website, but given your location, email seems better.
Since I can't really go fax, I thought I'd pose this question to you, since I might be wanting some resisitors very soon, and Michael Percy is on holiday now for a month.
Steve

RonR

« Reply #85 on: 30 Jun 2008, 08:26 am »
Kyrill and Lyn,

I know it's an over-used term, but my jaw did actually drop on this occasion! Maybe it's because the smallest AudioCaps I could find were 40uF, but there was an improvement in bass extension with these caps which I wasn't expecting.

Steve,

All my dealings with Texas Components have been via Email, except for those containing CC details, which were given by Phone.
They have always replied promptly and helpfully.

Oh, and I'd better say: I have no connection with them except for being a satisfied customer.

Cheers,

Ron

whubbard

« Reply #86 on: 1 Jul 2008, 09:42 pm »
Ron,

Have you been able to do any comparisons of the caps with the new testing setup?

-West

kyrill

« Reply #87 on: 6 Jul 2008, 08:38 am »
Yes, Ron

I would like to "honour"my GK-1 as well

or do the different caps still need burning in?

: )
Kyrill

RonR

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jul 2008, 02:12 pm »
All,

Results of the testing are now available in the "GK-1 and Beyond" thread, page 16.

Cheers,

Ron.

whubbard

« Reply #89 on: 8 Jul 2008, 04:55 am »
Well,

I would say were settled. It will be 2x AudioCap PPMF 40uF 100V for C4 and C7 and 2x BC560 (For T4, one for each board).
I will set up the new thread tomorrow. All those that have already contacted me...your still on my list.
I emailed about a quote for the AudioCaps on the 4th of June, but never heard back so I've sent another email.

Thanks for all the hard work Ron!

-West

kyrill

« Reply #90 on: 9 Jul 2008, 01:21 pm »
count me in West
  :thumb: