Hollogram III

Greg Erskine

Re: Hollogram III
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2008, 09:48 pm »
My respect goes to DSK, it can be difficult to get someone else's equipment to work. Sometime it is easier to reset everything back to factory defaults and start again.

Greg's law: The closer the friend or family memeber the more likely the little IT problem will become a big PITA.

Hugh,

You can send me the Duet for testing.  :D

regards

bhobba

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2008, 01:26 am »
Greg's law: The closer the friend or family remember the more likely the little IT problem will become a big PITA.

Bill's Law.  Always, always, go for the trialing edge.  Leading edge stuff, even using proven technologies, invariably causes tears.  Let others experience those tears.  When you purchase the product give a humble thanks to those whose tears helped sort out the problems, then sit back and enjoy.

Source:  30 years experience in IT, from COBOL to Natural\Adabas to Cool Gen\DB2, and PC's from one of the first TRS 80's made, Hitachi peach, Atari Amiga, and at least 5 different IBM clones.  Recommendation for IT - Natural\Adabas - rock solid these days.

Thanks
Bill

DSK

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2008, 04:02 am »
Unfortunately we couldn't get the Netgear wireless router to handshake properly with the Netcomm ADSL modem. The Netgear automatic configuration routine kept failing. Reset the router's config back to defaults and repeated process, it got further but still could not establish an internet connection through the modem. Both devices default to the same IP address so, not wanting to touch Hugh's current working configuration, I went into the router config and manually set it up with different IP, with & without DHCP active etc etc. Tried every form of setup, to no avail.

Late in the evening, we were totally over it so removed the wireless router and ensured Hugh's original internet connection was working fine again. In addition to the onboard NIC (connected to the modem) he has a separate NIC installed as well. Figured we'd take a quick stab at getting the Duet running through this instead. I hadn't seen the Duet before but figured it should be as easy as the SB to set up in wired configuration.  We setup the card IP addressing and ran the ethernet cable from NIC to Duet. OK, now to select wired setup, enter IP address of Duet and of music server etc and we'll be playing music..... WRONG!! First hurdle ... what buttons do we press to move the menu selection up & down? Tried them all... nothing. Checked the picture of the remote in the manual... says nothing about how to scroll up and down. After pressing all the buttons I let loose some expletives and made a violent gesture at the remote. In the process I touched something and the highlighted menu selection moved down!! We had already pressed the top and bottom sections of the ring control but had no idea that we had to place our finger on it and stroke the dial in a circular motion. For people who have used other devices with this sort of control this would no doubt have been funny to watch, but we hadn't. it was late and we were pissed off with how much wasted time the crap documentation caused us. Anyway, at least we can now proceed right? WRONG!! The Duet manual seemed to suggest that we would be using a "Bridged" setup given that we were using the ethernet cable. However, step by step following the instructions, what appeared on the remote control was rather different to what the manual indicated. We could see that there were wireless networks in the area as Dlink and Netgear would sometimes come up , but there was no way to select a wired configuration. Eventually we were able to enter an IP address for the music server, but there was no way of selecting it or entering an IP address for the Duet etc. ALL menu options were titled "Wireless ....". It appears a wireless setup would be extremely easy, virtually automatic. But when it comes to a wired connection ... the remote interface and manual were completely crap. VERY disappointing!

I've done some more investigation since and it appears that we may be able to get the modem/router combo working if we change the modem from PPPoE mode to Bridged mode, insert all the ISP account into into the router instead, and enable the router to do the DHCP rather than the modem, and of course change the router's IP address (as we already did) to prevent clash with modem. We'll see.

AKSA

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jun 2008, 05:46 am »
Greg,

my respect too - not that my PC is anything unusual at all, 1.8G Intel, 2G RAM, 80G HDD, NetComm modem with ADSL, but Darren worked really hard to solve this issue, and in all fairness it is not the fault of the Duet, which I still hold out much hope for, but the networking issues, which are almost intractable.  Why, I really don't know, but address conflicts can be tricky if the PC can't tell you exactly where they are.  I suspect that the ADSL needs to pass through the router BEFORE the modem, that might solve it......

Wayne was also very supportive;  he has modded my Duet, I'm really looking forward to hearing these fabled VH caps, they are purported to be really something.  AND he's done digital mods too.

Darren, thank you again, that's another one I owe you!!

Cheers,

Hugh