Whither Hologram III?

fred

Whither Hologram III?
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 02:35 am »
Hugh - So what ever became of the Squeezebox power supply you were developing?  I'm thinking about orderring either a Transporter or Squeezebox+Hologram (if they are real).

AKSA

Re: Whither Hologram III?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2007, 02:38 am »
Fred,

Nearly done......  so many projects, driving me beserk, productionising is horrifically slow.

Cheers,

Hugh

fred

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2007, 03:06 am »
I do hope all your efforts are finally becoming profitable (financially).

Have you figured out the cost of the Hologram?

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2007, 03:12 am »
Hi Fred,

At this stage it's to be $US690.

I will have about five at RMAF for audition, no opportunity for immediate marketing yet.

They make 1 huge difference to the sound of this outstanding product, so much so I never listen to anything else, and my SBIII is unmodded.  It's up there with good top end players and as a general rule most of the problems in systems these days are sheeted home to amps and speakers.

Thanks for the interest, Fred, appreciated.   :)

Cheers,

Hugh

fred

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2007, 04:28 pm »
If you're thinking about selling one of those 5 units after the show is over, keep me in mind. :drool:

Felipe

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2007, 04:20 pm »
hugh,

You have to take the RMAF opportunity to compare your Power supply to Wayne's from Bolder CAbles.
His is told to be the cream of the cream in PSU. Your approach seems different tha his, but does it offer more for less?

kyrill

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2007, 09:16 pm »
offer equal for less, will do too, no? :P

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2007, 10:10 pm »
Fred,

No problem, my friend, will do.......

Filipe, Kyrill,

A good customer, DSK on this forum, has a Bolder Cables supply for his modded SBII and I, Marty and Darren compared it about two months back.  Wayne's products are always premium quality, very well designed, and filled with exquisite components like Jensen four pole caps.  And his careful testing is second to none.

My product uses a radically unconventional regulation philosophy.  It does not use feedback to control the voltage.  A very interesting concept called Error Correction Feedforward is used.  The advantage is that it is faster and does not create intermodulation artefacts like feedback.  It will output up to 1.2A and is current protected - the SB uses 735mA fully loaded and 545mA at idle.  I've gone to a lot of trouble to disguise this circuitry in a sealed module because it really is  unique - another amusing example of my Cafe Dreschler doodling on a serviette.....

In listening tests, the consensus was that the BC product is very, very good, but the Aspen Hologram is definitely in the same street.   :drool:  I will refrain from saying any more!   :nono:

I will have an AB test with the supplied stock supply at Denver hopefully - the difference is night and day.  It turns good sound into entrancing music!  I've had one out on long term test for nearly three months, and another test rig went out two days ago.  Reliability appears to be 100%.

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2007, 07:53 am »
hehe

hmm maybe other voltage sealed boxes are possible?
or an idea for LF III?

Seano

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2007, 10:32 pm »
Having seen the so called Hologram III...........I think are far better name may be 'Ice Cube V3.0' given the form of its most critical component...........Hugh, can I have mine in a novelty shape - Australia perhaps?

And if Hugh followed on from Kyrill's suggestion.........perhaps we'd have the Lifeforce Esky......."with every amp sold you get a slab of VB throw in"...... :oops: 

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:17 pm »
Hi Seano,

SPRUNG!!!  And yes, after much finessing, it is indeed at V3.0!

Kyrill,

A slab of beer would be very nice......  but as it happens, isn't Belgian and Dutch beer the best in the world??  You have it right there on your doorstep!!   :drool:

Cheers,

Hugh