LifeForce Platinum

AKSA

Re: LifeForce Platinum
« Reply #40 on: 30 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm »
Steve,

I do agree with this.  I feel that much as the BG NX 22uF 6.3VW cap is absolutely outstanding compared to all other electrolytics, and ranks equally with a good filmcap like the Evox MMK, the teflon wipes the slate vis a vis all other filmcaps and gets my unreserved endorsement.  These caps are just wonderful, and such is the slightly irrational world in which we live that I would not be surprised if the minor coloration introduced by a teflon cap actually beats a straight wire FROM THE SUBJECTIVE POV.

The debate between the objectivists and subjectivists is as bitter and trenchant as it ever was;  I've given up saying things like 'should be' and 'could be' because it is a fact that both the sonic observations AND the observer are a moving target, and 'sound' as we audiophiles know it, is very much subjective, like food, and fashion, and art.

I have just ordered another tranche of teflon caps, such is my confidence.  I've been surprised by the demand;  it's strong, and ongoing amongst my customers, and not one of them has been disappointed, all reported marked improvements, particularly in resolution and deep bass.  That's good enough for me!

Cheers,

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #41 on: 31 Mar 2008, 05:10 am »
Steve,

I do agree with this.  I feel that much as the BG NX 22uF 6.3VW cap is absolutely outstanding compared to all other electrolytics, and ranks equally with a good filmcap like the Evox MMK, the teflon wipes the slate vis a vis all other filmcaps and gets my unreserved endorsement.  These caps are just wonderful, and such is the slightly irrational world in which we live that I would not be surprised if the minor coloration introduced by a teflon cap actually beats a straight wire FROM THE SUBJECTIVE POV.

The debate between the objectivists and subjectivists is as bitter and trenchant as it ever was;  I've given up saying things like 'should be' and 'could be' because it is a fact that both the sonic observations AND the observer are a moving target, and 'sound' as we audiophiles know it, is very much subjective, like food, and fashion, and art.

I have just ordered another tranche of teflon caps, such is my confidence.  I've been surprised by the demand;  it's strong, and ongoing amongst my customers, and not one of them has been disappointed, all reported marked improvements, particularly in resolution and deep bass.  That's good enough for me!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hm, wonder how I ended up with the 47uf BG NX.  Maybe things would have been slightly different with the smaller 22uf cap.  Don't know.  Don't care.
Teflons seem to be the real deal.  Everyone seems to have the same listening experience and observations.  That's not too common in audio.

Steve

kyrill

« Reply #42 on: 31 Mar 2008, 09:20 am »
i was never even suggesting the BG could be compared to teflons
the point i was trying to make is a different one:

between the output cap of the source and the input cap of the preamp is only a wire !!
So topology wise they are not only in series but direct series, they in a way touching each other
and are intricately in the act of intimate love making. Many people in order to get the right value. put caps close to each other in parallel and completely assume the circuit sees them as one "combined" cap.

This must be the case as well with caps in direct contact with each other which are coupled in series.

But if i read yr comments well, you don't seem to regard it as such. Even the already good BG NX is no match at all for the platinum. So how on earth can the combined lesser cap/Platinum sound the same as a pure Platinum??

And how is it possible then the many enthousiastic stories in DIY forums of DACS (SB3) after having replaced the default output caps with teflons or other boutique caps? These stories proof the outputcap which will be coupled with the next input cap via again an IC  play a ( very) important role

I believe the signal does not see stand alone units like source or pre-amp or amp. It sees the whole chain as a gestalt as one apparatus. So it cannot discern any difference between an input or an output cap.

I changed the cheap electrolytic caps of my NAD receiver and of my DEQX with Auricaps ( NAD) and Platinum ( DEQX) and the difference was on the level of changing the input cap of my GK-1, but it added.
First i changed the preamp, wow nice effects, the same as you described when you put the Platinum in
then the DEQX, Holy mandarins, another big difference on top of the effects of the GK1 and when i had the NAD in the input wow another big difference compared to the stock output caps of the NAD.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2008, 09:40 am by kyrill »

andyr

« Reply #43 on: 31 Mar 2008, 10:08 am »

I changed the cheap electrolytic caps of my DEQX with Platinum and the difference was on the level of changing the input cap of my GK-1.

Hi kyrill,

So you have one of those wonderful Aussie-designed (made?) DEQXs?  :D  I have heard there is somebody, somewhere who offers a "modding" service for DEQXs.  If you're interested to explore this (but don't know about it), I can ask a friend of mine who has a DEQX.  The mods are supposed to make it sound a lot better ... of course, you would keep your Platinum output caps!  :D

Regards,

Andy

kyrill

« Reply #44 on: 31 Mar 2008, 10:36 am »
hi Andy

Yes i am very happy with the DEQX and modder was Steve Nugent from Empirical audio
however modding is now much more difficult as DEQX itself now offers deep modding for very reasonable prices
my unit travels to AU this week, thx for the tip

AKSA

« Reply #45 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:03 am »
Ah, Kyrill,

I see you are become a Stage 5 audiophile!!

The infection slowly works its way to the center of our very cells, changing the way we listen to the world..... :icon_twisted:

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #46 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:12 am »
haha Hugh can i enter yr club now?
I am also a Stage 5 nassi goreng maker
and used to be a Stage 5 lover, i confess..

AKSA

« Reply #47 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:40 am »
You chaps from The Nederlands really enjoy the Orient, don't you?  Jacco from DIY is another one.  Those spices must have really got you in.....  and the women, fascinating!!

I married my Indonesian Women's Army Officer in Jakarta 25 years ago last week - and we are returning to Java this Xmas to see Sri's family - I'm very fond of her Mum, who was always very nice to me.  My daughter Soraya has just spent a month in Semarang with the family - she adores Indonesia and can speak the language - and is now sailing down the Mekong through Laos with her boyfriend.  She goes on to London in two weeks.

Ah, to be young again!  But you sound like you enjoyed your youth, Kyrill!!

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #48 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:59 am »

I married my Indonesian Women's Army Officer in Jakarta 25 years ago last week - and we are returning to Java this Xmas to see Sri's family

Hugh

Congratulations, Hugh!  :thumb:

Vicki & I had our 26th wedding anniversary last December (except we both actually forgot the day!  :o ).

Regards,

Andy

gerado

« Reply #49 on: 31 Mar 2008, 01:00 pm »
Ok while you guys reminisce  about your spent youth and potency I'm scratching my bold head trying to work out something  :scratch:.

the best sounding thing as i understand it is a straight wire from the source(CD) to the GK1 and then to my  LF100, IF and only IF DC current was not a possibility and the input and output caps were removed.

Questions:
1. the input/output caps are only there to stop DC current frying the speakers ?
2.if the speaker crossover has a cap anyway in the high and low pass filters this offers protection and can therefore remove all the other protection caps?
3. does one cap in the terminal part of the system ie output of the LF do the job anyway and one can dispense with all the input /output caps in the chain if one has an active crossover setup?
4. the smaller the cap the better since this will put its effect in the inaudible frequency range?

Being a novice and aspiring Level 5.5 audiophile(eat my dust aa) there must be something wrong with my logic above, or is it that simple?

Kiryll

I'm also sending my DEQX for the upgrade, glad did not jump in sooner and do the upgrade :thumb:

Hey Hugh are your brilliant power supplies adaptable for the DEQX to offer ever better modded performance from these units?

kyrill

« Reply #50 on: 31 Mar 2008, 01:26 pm »
Ok while you guys reminisce  about your spent youth and potency I'm scratching my bold head trying to work out something  :scratch:.

the best sounding thing as i understand it is a straight wire from the source(CD) to the GK1 and then to my  LF100, IF and only IF DC current was not a possibility and the input and output caps were removed.

Questions:
1. the input/output caps are only there to stop DC current frying the speakers ?
some designs (tubes?) don't like high levels of DC internally, not only speakers
2.if the speaker crossover has a cap anyway in the high and low pass filters in series with the drivers this offers protection and can therefore remove all the other protection caps?
pff never thought about this
3. does one cap in the terminal part of the system ie output of the LF do the job anyway and one can dispense with all the input /output caps in the chain if one has an active crossover setup?
the GK-1 tube offer 40V DC at the output? i wonder which amp can handle this input and not only for DC reasons
4. the smaller the cap the better since this will put its effect in the inaudible frequency range?
not in series, it will pass thru only this inaudible freqs

Being a novice and aspiring Level 5.5 audiophile(eat my dust aa) there must be something wrong with my logic above, or is it that simple?
you go for 5.5? wow Remember you cant jump levels

Kiryll kyrill

I'm also sending my DEQX for the upgrade, glad did not jump in sooner and do the upgrade :thumb:
the HD3 mod? I can only do the lesser mod, too old motherboard

Hey Hugh are your brilliant power supplies adaptable for the DEQX to offer ever better modded performance from these units?

custom pws, i hope this will be possible, everything has its price..the backside of every opportunity has its downsides

gerado

« Reply #51 on: 31 Mar 2008, 01:42 pm »
KYRILL (pardon!)

pff? whats that?

not in series- how do output caps not filter frequencies in components then?

and yes DEQX PDC3 aa- though I suspect some of the caps could still be improved on.

kyrill

« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2008, 03:09 pm »
KYRILL (pardon!)

pff? whats that?
pff? a low energy sigh,  like a wind from a deep source that escapes the mouth thru fleshy lips or not so fleshy lips..

not in series- how do output caps not filter frequencies in components then? hehe language and negations, i mean caps are necessary in series to block DC, so the lesser the better value is generalized not true, that is why cheap electrolytic end or input caps have those extreme high values of sometimes 150-200 uF

and yes DEQX PDC3 aa- though I suspect some of the caps could still be improved on.