Magnepan LRS Attenuation - Recommendations

wdlvwdlv

Magnepan LRS Attenuation - Recommendations
« on: 7 Feb 2023, 07:01 pm »
Hello,

I've had my LRSs for a short while now, but at moderately high volumes I have the impression the soundstage is becoming "shouty." It could be my system synergy could be off so, I am considering using the tweeter attenuation feature. Mind you, the amplifier in question is a Schiit Vidar (singular in stereo mode).

Now that I'd like to delve into using resistors, I'm a bit daunted. The provided ones look so flimsy, is this the norm? Also, I do not want to completely squash the dynamics, I just want to take the edge off.

I have seen other articles, but some of the resources don't pan out anymore, links are dead. Look forward to advice, thank you.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Magnepan LRS Attenuation - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2023, 08:54 pm »
Magnepan speakers are designed to be flat response with a resistor!!!
No resistor should only be used when the room muffles the speaker excessively!
The included resistors are dirt cheap. And easily improved upon.
Mundorf . Madisound carries them
or Mills brand from Parts Express
Jantzen from Parts Connection
Path Audio (very expensive $33 a pop) also from Parts Connexion. (oddly hard to find in the store menu I had to Google them and Part Connexion link came up )
Duelund  Parts Connexion (also very expensive $33 a pop and very fragile leads.!! I had to place them on a carrier to not have the leads break off

I experimented a lot with resistor values. From 0.5 ohm to 2 ohm on my 20.7 Magnepans 
From a post by me from 2019: ""In the display of utter folly (to some naysayers) in the past three months I spent $1300 on nothing but high end resistors for the Magnepan 20.7 midrange resistor spot. Trying Duelund CAST (lucky lucky they are on 1/2 sale) and then PATH Audio resistors. Going from single ones to pairs, and now trios of resistors. So instead of the $0.59 cost ceramic throw aways that come with the speakers. I have four (3.9 3.9 3.9 and a trim 39 ohm) on each side. ($240) so I spent 200 times more on two little resistor sets. (1.26 ohms)
The good thing is I now have spares if I change any other equipment and have to re adjust the resistor set (which is designed to alter the tone of the midrange)
How close was the Mundorf set? (which cost $0.89 each) If I had used those the same way they would cost total $7... Ahhh close! .. just not quit as good""

jbl

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2023, 08:40 am »
How much power are you running to the speakers? 

I used to own the 3.7i's.  They sounded good at low to moderate volumes with 400watts of Parasound power but got a little screechy when turned up.  Upgrading to a 1000watt high current amplifier(Legacy iV-2) solved that problem.  The quasi ribbon panels respond very well to high amounts of power and current.  Maggies need a lot of power if you like to turn them up given their low efficiency.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2023, 01:32 pm »
Magnepan speakers are designed to be flat response with a resistor!!!
No resistor should only be used when the room muffles the speaker excessively!
The included resistors are dirt cheap. And easily improved upon.
Mundorf . Madisound carries them
or Mills brand from Parts Express
Jantzen from Parts Connection
Path Audio (very expensive $33 a pop) also from Parts Connexion. (oddly hard to find in the store menu I had to Google them and Part Connexion link came up )
Duelund  Parts Connexion (also very expensive $33 a pop and very fragile leads.!! I had to place them on a carrier to not have the leads break off

I experimented a lot with resistor values. From 0.5 ohm to 2 ohm on my 20.7 Magnepans 
From a post by me from 2019: ""In the display of utter folly (to some naysayers) in the past three months I spent $1300 on nothing but high end resistors for the Magnepan 20.7 midrange resistor spot. Trying Duelund CAST (lucky lucky they are on 1/2 sale) and then PATH Audio resistors. Going from single ones to pairs, and now trios of resistors. So instead of the $0.59 cost ceramic throw aways that come with the speakers. I have four (3.9 3.9 3.9 and a trim 39 ohm) on each side. ($240) so I spent 200 times more on two little resistor sets. (1.26 ohms)
The good thing is I now have spares if I change any other equipment and have to re adjust the resistor set (which is designed to alter the tone of the midrange)
How close was the Mundorf set? (which cost $0.89 each) If I had used those the same way they would cost total $7... Ahhh close! .. just not quit as good""

Elizabeth,

I too am thinking about experimenting with resistors for the LRS and 3.6r.  When you mention Mundorf, are you talking about the metal oxide film resistors specifically? I see where Madisound also carries Mundorf copper nickel wire and M-Resist Supreme resistors at higher cost. Have you experimented with any of these?

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2023, 03:59 pm »
How much power are you running to the speakers? 

I used to own the 3.7i's.  They sounded good at low to moderate volumes with 400watts of Parasound power but got a little screechy when turned up.  Upgrading to a 1000watt high current amplifier(Legacy iV-2) solved that problem.  The quasi ribbon panels respond very well to high amounts of power and current.  Maggies need a lot of power if you like to turn them up given their low efficiency.

JBL - This is very interesting and you don't hear much about the Legacy amp - could you expound on how you like the Legacy IV2 amp with the Maggie 3.7i and how the Legacy compares to any other amps you've used?

jbl

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2023, 08:12 pm »
The Legacy gave the Maggies a transparent, detailed sound with controlled bass, black background, and very good dynamics at higher volume. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2023, 11:51 pm »
I have used Mills and Duelund resistors with my 1.6's.  I used 1 and 1.2 ohm resistors and it tamed brightness and sibilants.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/MILLS-71902.html

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELDR-89302.html

They sound way smoother than the sandcast resistors.  The Mills was warmer sounding than the Duelund.  It tamed sibilants better.