DIPTYQUE ISODYNAMIC SPEAKERS>

Hornucopia

DIPTYQUE ISODYNAMIC SPEAKERS>
« on: 7 Sep 2022, 09:54 pm »
(Can't see a referennce to these on these pages so, here goes)
https://diptyqueaudio.com/en/ will get you an intro.
I've been using the DP77s for a few months now so ask away!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: DIPTYQUE ISODYNAMIC SPEAKERS>
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2022, 09:16 am »
So Magnaplaner's patent ran out in Europe?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2022, 04:33 pm »
  Killer design and sound. Many options as well to improve them further.

charles

munosmario

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2022, 04:39 pm »
So Magnaplaner's patent ran out in Europe?

Magneplanar's patent, circa 1984, for a single-ended planar magnetic transducer, is not relevant. More relevant is the patent (actually several) of Eminent Technology (Bruces Tighpen) starting circa 1987, for a push-pull planar magnetic transducer just like the type used by this French company (albeit a bit more sophisticated with its own patents). In any event, patent life in the USA is usually 20 years from the date of application (usually, 15-20 abroad, if you applied for patent rights in other viable countries).

Mario

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2022, 07:06 pm »
Doesn't seem to have a U.S. distributor ..

munosmario

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2022, 07:26 pm »
Doesn't seem to have a U.S. distributor ..

https://www.atelier13-usa.com/diptyque-ribbon-loudspeaker-line

Best.............................Mario

munosmario

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2022, 07:37 pm »
Some pertinent short info piece:

EXCLUSIVE DIPTYQUE TECHNOLOGIES

The isodynamic technology well known to music lovers was developed in 1970 in the United States. Through our numerous tests and experiments, we have sought solutions to improve this technology and push back its limits, in particular for bass reproduction.

PPBM®: Push Pull Bipolar Magnet is an innovative patented architecture. The large section bipolar magnets, manufactured to specification, are located at the front and rear of the diaphragm. They make it possible to maintain the coil (aluminum tapes) in a constant magnetic field when the membrane moves, which is thus perfectly controlled. The bass is more dynamic and transient sounds are reproduced with precision. Listening to a grand piano is impressively realistic.

Mario

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2022, 07:48 pm »
Put a couple of GR Research Servo OB subs under each of those panels and that would be a pretty awesome full range setup.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2022, 07:49 pm »
https://www.atelier13-usa.com/diptyque-ribbon-loudspeaker-line

Best.............................Mario
[/quote

I believe Prana Distibution.

charles

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2022, 12:34 pm »
I added them to the list of Planar manufacturers.

Hornucopia

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2022, 09:57 am »
Put a couple of GR Research Servo OB subs under each of those panels and that would be a pretty awesome full range setup.
I had to 'downsize' my hifi, after losing use of my hifi room (Ocellia Calliopes previously). An added atraction was being able to specify colour -of item, not sound!
Use of a sub -or two - limited by trying not to clutter up living space; the section of the split-level room is only 15' by 10'. as you might be able to see in pic?
I guess I could hide subs behind the panels though.....
off to look at your suggestion, + other makes as I'm in UK.
They are certainly excellent in imagery and clarity.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:04 pm »
I had to 'downsize' my hifi, after losing use of my hifi room (Ocellia Calliopes previously). An added atraction was being able to specify colour -of item, not sound!
Use of a sub -or two - limited by trying not to clutter up living space; the section of the split-level room is only 15' by 10'. as you might be able to see in pic?
I guess I could hide subs behind the panels though.....
off to look at your suggestion, + other makes as I'm in UK.
They are certainly excellent in imagery and clarity.

The subs are OB so they need to be in-line with the speakers (away from the walls) to sound best.  I was thinking using a pair as stands, to lift up the speakers and get them to ear level.  Since the subs are DIY, you could paint them to match the main speakers (and use the same grill cloth material, too).

Hornucopia

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:35 pm »
The Stands are a part of the speakers -supposedly a 'hommage' to old-style microphones! But I could possibly use small subs immediately behind. Failing that, actually behind the listening spot is possible (there's a 3-step stair down into the space)
Just researching subs that have a pass-through set up, to relieve the speakers/amp of the bass frequencies.
It's the penalty of a small room space.
Get lovely bass from my Mr Speaker 'Ether' phones' often think I should just accept the phones as my main system.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2022, 06:47 pm »
A small REL or two would do the trick.

Hornucopia

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2022, 07:37 pm »
A small REL or two would do the trick.
Looking at Dynaudio 18S; want a sub with a pass-through to ease burden on amp/speakers by filtering out the bass.
Will look at REL next......

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2022, 11:24 pm »
For that size room I'd think one T9 would do it.

DRS222

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2022, 10:42 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading AudioCircle since 2012 but haven't been an active poster. Curiosity about this speaker brings me out of lurking mode. I'm a retiree and music lover who's working on putting together his last system--famous last words. For years I've been a lover of planar speakers, particularly Magnepan and Sound Lab. Have a couple of pairs of "Gunned" Maggie 1.6s. I'm intensely curious about this speaker, the Diptyque. Can you say more about it's performance and sound at this point?

Thanks.

Doug

ngrimes

« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2022, 07:43 pm »
I've owned the DP 77 speakers for at least 6 months, purchased from Constantin at the web address posted above.  Having always enjoyed planars from afar, I've not been able to own them because of the challenge of integrating them into a home/non-dedicated listening space.  In contrast, my DP 77s are sitting a mere 2ft 8inches off the front wall and sound quite open and spacious.  Open with just a touch of warmth, clean but not antiseptic, these speakers are a delight.  There is plenty of richness and they do not come unraveled.  Please note two things:  they require current, being only 84 db efficient and are quite transparent to the source, especially amplification.  I started out with my long loved Blue Circle pre & amp, but am now auditioning the Kora TB200 integrated.  Both drive the speaker appropriately, but you can easily hear the differences between amplification chains.  Place the tweeters on the outside of the setup and use the tilt function provided by the stand; these two items make a big difference.  The tweeter may be the star of the show; it is sweet--once the speaker is fully broken in (100-150 hrs).  I like an uncluttered room, so adding a subwoofer is not preferred; I think I'm getting an honest 45 hz from these little ones.

Hope the above helps those who might be interested.  Neill