Subwoofer Wireless Transmitter Delay

Doublej

Subwoofer Wireless Transmitter Delay
« on: 17 Jan 2022, 01:50 am »
I bought a subwoofer with wireless transmitter. The spec says the that the latency is less than 20mS. This seems like a long time. Will there be an audible difference if I changed the connection to a cable?

RDavidson

Re: Subwoofer Wireless Transmitter Delay
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2022, 02:06 am »
I doubt you'd detect the latency. To put things into perspective, a half a second which would certainly be noticeable is 500 milliseconds. 20 milliseconds is next to nothing.

TJB

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2022, 01:05 am »
Thanks for all of your inputs.  You have summed it all up quite well for me.  Therefore, one, I will go with the S/510; and two, I will consider multiple subs.  But that'll get quite expensive.  As for my speakers, they are as follows: Thiel CS2.3 (main), Thiel SCS3 (center channel) and Thiel Powerplane 1.5 (surrounds).  I recently acquired the Powerplanes and I'm looking for the right Bryston amp to pair them with (unless a great deal on a McIntosh comes along).  Why Bryston, you ask?  Well, all of my other amps are Brystons. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2022, 01:11 am »
Anything over 10 milliseconds is easy to detect.  You can hear it.  Sound moves about a foot per millisecond so if the subwoofer is 20 milliseconds behind then it could sound like its 20 feet away.  You could have significant phase problems with 20ms of delay.  Even 5ms in a living room can be significant.  Depending on the wireless transmission, you will have some compounding that might change the sound.  I would definitely try to use a hard wired sub, especially with the nice components you have.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2022, 02:03 am »
REL AirShip Wireless and HT-Air Wireless operate in the 16-20 millisecond range

https://rel.net/shop/accessories/airship/

https://rel.net/shop/accessories/ht-air-wireless/