Introduction

MoodyDragon

Introduction
« on: 20 Apr 2022, 11:18 pm »
Greeting folks. I wanted to introduce myself as a long time lurker and first time (yesterday) poster.  I have for long had Bryston gear in my system. This included the SP2, 4BSST, 4BSST2 and a B60 integrated I still regret selling. 

I am a bit outdated in my knowledge (life, family, work made me drastically downsize) specially about the new digital introductions and I am glad to be in this group as I am hoping to use your collective knowledge. 

Mag

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2022, 03:29 am »
   Welcome aboard, yes your biggest mistake was selling the SP2. The other stuff can easily be replaced but good luck in finding another SP2.

I have my BDA-1 dac connected to the analog input of the SP2. I then use Digital Stereo mode which uses the onboard dac of the SP2. When I first tried this combo my jaw hit the floor. Like I bought the SP2 upgrading from a Yamaha avr and although it was better it wasn't better enough to justify paying full retail price for it. Now I was also using the BDA-1 with the Yamaha prior to the SP2. Let me tell you the SP2 was like night & day better.  Why is this important, because it is pretty hard to find a pre-amp combo that allows you to piggyback two dacs together mainly due to the output/input connection. :smoke:

MoodyDragon

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2022, 04:30 am »
Thank you Mag.   I agree SP2 onto a 9BSST was a league above what I have had since.  I was crazy enough to buy 5 Concept Hales full range tower speakers for a surround sound system that never failed to amaze me and my dates (them probably as to how crazy I was). The one day someone (I suspect my neighbors so that they could get some sleep at night) stole the sp2 and the 9BSST . I did end up with a Sonic Frontiers LS3 SE pre into a 4bst.  That was awesome too.  But tubes are a PITA as I soon found out.  Then I found my better half at a party (do you think I can sue the hosts still?   It has been 14 years.). There went all my audio stuff.   No space for them apparently. Garage sale. 

I finally have a house big enough for me to have a room for my music system It doubles as my gym.  Unsure of the acoustic  qualities of my gym equipment.  Will find out soon. 

I am planning on buying the BR-20 and a 4BS3 amp.  Speakers for now are a pair of kef ls50 and a Rel sub.  Still shopping for full range speakers as I find subs distracting 

In any case, it is great to be back!

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2022, 04:50 am »
   I suggest the Model T's as they are room friendly. I have a lot of junk in my audio room, doesn't seem to affect the stereo imaging as far as I can tell. This will set you back several thousand. My wireless earbuds and new Trident computer only set me back about $2000, excellent sound. The main rig though is still the 'go to' on my days off, there's no substitute for being able to feel the vibes and being immersed in the phantom stereo image. :smoke:

jbuzas

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2022, 01:28 pm »
I have the BR-20 feeding a pair of 7b3's.  System sounds awesome!  I'm sure a 4b3 will sound awesome too.  If you're a roon user, the BR-20 is now Roon Ready and is working great with Roon.

MoodyDragon

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2022, 12:30 am »
Thank you!   I will look into the Model T s The nearest authorized Bryston dealer is a drive of 4 hours away so I have plan this.  Unlike amps etc it’s hell trying to sell speakers once you buy them.