Best place to buy used spatial audio speakers

uphoto

• Restricted
Best place to buy used spatial audio speakers
« on: 18 Nov 2020, 05:14 am »
My wife has finally had it with me  :lol: I bought home a pair of vertical cornwalls in black plywood finish a few months ago.......

We've been trying to remodel our home and these gorgeous sounding speakers kind of stand out like a sore thumb.  So, back to shopping and now I'm infatuated with the Spatial Audio line but the new speakers are out of my price range.

I've come across a few used ones on hifizero and audiogon but I keep missing out.  Any other ideas on good sites to find these beauties on?  Missed out on a pair of M3 Triode Masters for $2k the other day and wanted to give up completely after that. 

Price range is $2k, is that enough?  Really can't do more in this wonderful environment......

aldoallen

Re: Best place to buy used spatial audio speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:01 pm »
There's a pair listed on US Audio Mart.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:10 pm »
There's a pair listed on US Audio Mart.

Appreciate it, I saw those and he hasn't gotten back to me, they are probably sold.

There was a pair of M4's on audiogon too but those are sold too.

RolandButcher

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:13 pm »
Make sure your room (and spouse) can accommodate pulling them out at least 3' into the room.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:24 pm »
Make sure your room (and spouse) can accommodate pulling them out at least 3' into the room.

Great point! It's a large room (18 x 14) and she already has signed off on Tekton or Spatial already, she likes the unique designs but not the big ugly black box (poor cornwalls) :(

RolandButcher

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:35 pm »
Ha, I definitely consider Tektons to be big, ugly boxes (although I own the Mini Lores for a tertiary system and they are not so big).  Any interest in Zu speakers? A pair of Omen Dirty Weekends in Rustic Hickory look pretty sweet.  But again, they are boxy.   

ULTRABright

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:56 pm »
I bought some M4 turbos S speakers off of RolandButcher for a very fair price and it is hard to describe how good they sound when placed well. There is so very little room interaction and their resolution and soundstage is incredible. You can find M4TS, M4TM, and M3TS all in the $1-2k range if you’re patient. They have replaced a very robust pair of B&W 801’s and some Gallo Reference 3.0’s. Plus I have them on sliders so they are easy to move out of the way when not in use. This way you don’t need to have them parked in the middle of the room all the time.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2020, 11:01 pm »
Ha, I definitely consider Tektons to be big, ugly boxes (although I own the Mini Lores for a tertiary system and they are not so big).  Any interest in Zu speakers? A pair of Omen Dirty Weekends in Rustic Hickory look pretty sweet.  But again, they are boxy.   

Yeah but they are a lot less of a box than a Cornwall!  Love the idea of Zu but DW won't be released till March of 21?  Crazy.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2020, 11:02 pm »
I bought some M4 turbos S speakers off of RolandButcher for a very fair price and it is hard to describe how good they sound when placed well. There is so very little room interaction and their resolution and soundstage is incredible. You can find M4TS, M4TM, and M3TS all in the $1-2k range if you’re patient. They have replaced a very robust pair of B&W 801’s and some Gallo Reference 3.0’s. Plus I have them on sliders so they are easy to move out of the way when not in use. This way you don’t need to have them parked in the middle of the room all the time.

Great to hear!!!  That's a good idea on the sliders or something to make pushing them back towards a wall easier.  That was the idea I had, have them out for listening but if they need to go back up against the wall they can when not used. 

ULTRABright

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2020, 01:25 am »
There are a pair of M3 triode masters on USAudiomart right now that are priced very fairly. The TM’s are very tube friendly also, so would be compatible with most amps. Careful though, once you go open baffle it will be tough to go back to the box.

RolandButcher

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2020, 02:58 am »

Although I slandered the looks of the Tektons, I really want to give their Moab a listen.   

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2020, 03:01 am »

I've never found the Zu DW's "boxy". Used with very good tube amplification, excellent source components and enough breathing room, they offer a very open presentation.  I'm afraid the open baffle vs box debate is solely up to one's taste. FWIW, I could live with either just for the sake of an occasional change of pace.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2020, 03:30 am »
There are a pair of M3 triode masters on USAudiomart right now that are priced very fairly. The TM’s are very tube friendly also, so would be compatible with most amps. Careful though, once you go open baffle it will be tough to go back to the box.

Somebody brought that up earlier. I messaged him and got nothing back. I’m guessing they are sold.

genjamon

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2020, 03:31 am »
Come on, Mick, you don't live with either... you live with both!!!   :lol:

But on the "boxy" front, while I would agree they sound very open when set up right and with the right equipment, you really have to be in the sweet spot to get that experience.  Since they run up pretty high in frequency with their main 10" driver, they do beam in upper midrange and lower treble frequencies.  So, they can sound "boxy" when listening off-axis. 

Yet, for $1K, you get a very nice natural hickory finish and a speaker that can really crank as well as play soft and sweet at low volumes too.  An awesome package for the price, and worth waiting for, IMO.  And I strongly recommend the capacitor upgrade - whatever level your budget can allow.  The better the caps, the more refined the DW's become. 

jjss49

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2020, 03:55 am »
op

they appear here, audiogon and us audiomart with some regularity

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2020, 05:04 am »
HIFI SHARK - lists all current ads that I know of.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2020, 05:09 am »
Thank you, everyone, looks like I just need to be patient and a set should come up!

morganc

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2020, 05:38 am »
Also: Place a wanted ad here on Audiocircle. 

jjss49

« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2020, 04:07 pm »
also i don't know if clayton sometimes takes older models as trades for customers buying new ones... you might shoot him an email check with him

most manufacturers don't like to mess with used gear, but do so sometimes for very good customers

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2020, 04:48 pm »
Well audiocircle ended up being the place to find the speakers I wanted!

Thank you @ltonkin for reaching out, they are beatiful.  Drove from Reno to the Bay Area and back yesterday, lot's of driving but was worth it.

Everybody Here Wants You from Jeff Buckley is on right now, the sharp, fast hitting bass on the song is meant for these speakers.  Lot's of tweaking to do to the room but this is the fun part.