using sacd_extract

Scotlynn

using sacd_extract
« on: 8 Oct 2013, 02:28 pm »
Hi Folks,
Struggling my way through my first computer-based system and with that have been playing with some hi rez files and streaming from jriver to my marantz na7004. So far, so good, but I have some sacd iso files that I'd like to burn to play on my Sony XA5400SE to compare to the computer-based audio. I've figured out that I need to convert the iso's to separate dsd files so I can burn them, and it seems the only way to do that is with sacd_extract.

I downloaded sacd_extract 0.3.7 and unzipped the files, and moved the folder to my desktop, but that's as far as I can get. When I try to run the program in a command prompt (by typing sacd_extract), I get "sacd_extract is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I've also tried copying the entire path into the command prompt and I get the same response. I tried running other programs, like notepad, from the command prompt and they run with no problem.

I'm sure I'm just doing something very simple very wrong. - computers aren't my thing and I'm not very tech savvy. Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction to remedy this greatly appreciated.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: using sacd_extract
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2013, 02:42 pm »
Hi.  First off, the use of sacd_extract to burn files for your XA5400ES is the wrong thing to do.  The 5400 doesn't play them.  SACD_extract is to play DSF or DFF files on your computer.  The Sony XA5400ES also will not play SACD-R's so that process (burn the ISO with a standard DVD-R burner and disc) won't work either.   So you need to create what Sony calls a "DSD Disc", a very proprietary and kludgy format that involves authoring.  Here is a walk-through:
http://www.ps3sacd.com/dsddiscguide.html

BTW, if you want to use sacd_extract v37  (for computer playback) simply follow the post I made awhile ago:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.msg1248156#msg1248156

Scotlynn

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2013, 03:02 pm »
Thanks for the link to the sacd_extract instructions, Ted. Ive been goggling all over and saw your name on a number of posts about the issue, but somehow missed that one!

And if I extract to separate DFF files, can't I burn them with something like audiogate to play on the 5400? Again, forgive my ignorance - this is all new to me, and half the time I struggle to figure out what I'm reading when it comes to computer tech material.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2013, 03:15 pm »
You're welcome.  Don't fret...it is very confusing...and I'm in the middle of it and I'm confused half the time.  :)

Yes, you could extract DFF files then follow the authoring steps on the link I gave you, to create a DSD Disc.  That's a lot of work, but ok.  So, follow my link, set up your extraction workplace (root folder, Programs subfolder, etc), extract to DFF (i.e replace my stereo DSF bat file in the instructions with this new one I just created for you below) and then follow the DSD Disc instructions. I apologize for not knowing the full DSD-Disc creation process cuz I've only tried it once, and it is not worth it IMO.  YMMV.  :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Extract%20Stereo%20DFF%20Files.bat

Scotlynn

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:10 pm »
Brilliant, Ted! Worked like a charm.
Thanks so much for all your help.

Shadow601

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2014, 05:49 pm »
Hi Ted.

First post here.

Is there a way to convert dff files to dsf?