LS Center in the wild

Danny Richie

Re: LS Center in the wild
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:56 pm »
I have had something in mind to do a thin line array (not a line source) that is similar to the center channel. Something that will match the output levels and dynamics of the LS's. It would look a little like the design that I did for Carnegie Acoustics that never went into production, but would be a true three way design with a WWMTMWWWW configuration.

See a pic here: http://www.carnegieacoustics.com/images/cafsad11.jpg

They could also be used as left and right mains.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm »
I have had something in mind to do a thin line array (not a line source) that is similar to the center channel. Something that will match the output levels and dynamics of the LS's. It would look a little like the design that I did for Carnegie Acoustics that never went into production, but would be a true three way design with a WWMTMWWWW configuration.

See a pic here: http://www.carnegieacoustics.com/images/cafsad11.jpg

They could also be used as left and right mains.
With that configuration of drivers, if it was on it's side, wouldn't it have to be "off-center" (4W below and 2W above [left/right] the MTM)?

** EDIT - or is this for the surrounds? :oops:

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm »
This is just for the surrounds.

Or, they could be used as mains.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm »
Danny, is that a sealed or ported design?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm »
Hi Greg,

Not Danny, but...The woofers on either side of the tweeter are sealed. The upper two and lower four are ported. It's a true 3 way design.

Best,

Ruben

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:10 am »
What Ruben said...

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:37 am »
Thank You Ruben and Danny!

soundofrockets

« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2012, 06:17 am »
its a little late in the night.  but here is the promised pixs.  not very good quality but you can still see the workmanship of Ruben. simply beautiful

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:33 pm »
Nice! :thumb:

Here's one more. :D

Best,

Ruben

Skiman

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:47 am »
Taking Danny's advice, I finally was able to install the male tube connectors on my 10 AWG speaker wire. The 'trick', in my case, was to cut off the existing wire that had been twisted by my existing bannana plugs, and strip some more insulation back so that the exposed wire was now straight. It still would hang up on the internal groove, but a slight twist would then allow the wire to be fully inserted. I also trimmed a tiny bit of the corners of the wire ends, making them a little rounded so they wouldn't hang up at the internal groove. Crimp, a dab of solder, heat shrink tubing, and it's done.

Color me shocked at the improvement! I played a familiar piece immediately prior to installing the tube connectors (S'Wonderful by Diana Krall from the 5.1 SACD) and made sure the volume control position was unchanged. Her slightly husky voice now sounded even better, with the words more clearly enunciated. Listening to other familiar recordings confirmed the improvement. All this due to nothing more than a different connector! Now I'll have to look in to the feasibility of changing the connectors on my LS9s.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:06 pm »
Taking Danny's advice, I finally was able to install the male tube connectors on my 10 AWG speaker wire. The 'trick', in my case, was to cut off the existing wire that had been twisted by my existing bannana plugs, and strip some more insulation back so that the exposed wire was now straight. It still would hang up on the internal groove, but a slight twist would then allow the wire to be fully inserted. I also trimmed a tiny bit of the corners of the wire ends, making them a little rounded so they wouldn't hang up at the internal groove. Crimp, a dab of solder, heat shrink tubing, and it's done.

Color me shocked at the improvement! I played a familiar piece immediately prior to installing the tube connectors (S'Wonderful by Diana Krall from the 5.1 SACD) and made sure the volume control position was unchanged. Her slightly husky voice now sounded even better, with the words more clearly enunciated. Listening to other familiar recordings confirmed the improvement. All this due to nothing more than a different connector! Now I'll have to look in to the feasibility of changing the connectors on my LS9s.

Welcome to the club.

Makes you wonder what differences could be had from better wire now huh?

Early B.

« Reply #31 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:34 pm »
I'd love to try the tube connectors, but my speakers have binding posts plates like these:

Is there a simple way to retrofit the tube connectors?

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 8 Oct 2012, 02:03 pm »
You can make you a decorative wood block insert. Then insert the tube connectors into it.