Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:05 am »
Please tell me how the Moody Blues sounds. Is that a Speakers Corners?

I have the original first two Big Star records. Classics, of course!

Paul

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #41 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:48 am »
Days of Future Passed is a Speakers Corner reissue on 180g vinyl.  I probably won't have time to give it a listen for a few days, but I'll let you know what I think once I manage to give it a spin.

--Jerome

Berndt

« Reply #42 on: 28 Oct 2009, 02:56 am »
Just had a compulsive buying moment, have been enjoying these quiet, dynamic japanese pressings of my old favorites

Berndt

« Reply #43 on: 28 Oct 2009, 01:55 pm »

The warner bros metallica 45rpm reissues in my experience have been pretty good, contrary to the reports, so far I just have "kill 'em all" and "and justice for all"

this is a french pressing of the pantera classic, the bass mix is not up to the standards of some of my slayer pressings, FWIW.

the recent johny marr remastered smiths reissues are nice and lush sounding, the bass and guitar mix is quite good, the vocals are somewhat diffuse though. Compared to the CD's, they are much nicer, can't compare them to vinyl as I've never heard the originals on lp.

Wayner

« Reply #44 on: 28 Oct 2009, 07:20 pm »
I picked up 2 Devos at the RMAF. Shout! and Oh no, it's Devo! Both are very good. I also have the Freedom of Choice LP. I also have the 2 Depeche Mode LPs that you have, but I have the complete set remastered by Summit records, done very well.

Wayner  :D

vinyl_lady

« Reply #45 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:48 pm »
Please tell me how the Moody Blues sounds. Is that a Speakers Corners?

Paul

Paul,

I have the Speakers Corners pressing of DoFP and listened to it again this morning before going to work. The vinyl quality is excellent--very dark background--silent in the groove until the needle encounters music. I think it is a very good recording--lots of clarity, air and detail--very easy to close your eyes and get lost in the music. I'm a huge Moody Blues fan with mutliple copies of some albums and all of their individual recordings. IMO, this recording is worth having in your collection.

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #46 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:26 pm »
Laura,

What about a recent re-release by Deram SML 707? Is this the one done by Speakers Corner or is it yet another release?  :scratch: I don't understand how one record gets re-released by more then one label. This one that I have is the DSS process and is very quiet. I think it's a very good pressing.

Wayner

vinyl_lady

« Reply #47 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:39 pm »
Laura,

What about a recent re-release by Deram SML 707? Is this the one done by Speakers Corner or is it yet another release?  :scratch: I don't understand how one record gets re-released by more then one label. This one that I have is the DSS process and is very quiet. I think it's a very good pressing.

Wayner

Wayne,

I think that is the one I am talking about. The outside cover says Deram, SSL etc and inside is a sheet that talks about Speakers Corners vinyl reissues so I assumed it was pressed by Speakers Corner. Maybe I'm mistaken about that.:scratch: or at least confused :dunno:

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #48 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:47 pm »
Mine doesn't have any sheet in it, tho I could have easily thrown it away with an empty beer can the first night I listened to it.  :lol:

Wayner

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #49 on: 28 Oct 2009, 10:16 pm »
What about a recent re-release by Deram SML 707? 

Is this the one done by Speakers Corner or is it yet another release?  :scratch: I don't understand how one record gets re-released by more then one label. This one that I have is the DSS process and is very quiet. I think it's a very good pressing.

The only other reissue of the Moody Blues classic albums on 180g vinyl was on Universal, but I don't know for sure if DoFP was among them.  The only reissue currently available that I am aware of is from Speakers Corner.  According to AMG the only vinyl reissue is from Speakers Corner, but I would hardly call them the final word as the site is prone to errors.

Deram ceased to exist as a record label in 1979, but it was used as a reissue label by Decca and London for a time.

--Jerome

Wayner

« Reply #50 on: 28 Oct 2009, 10:25 pm »
here is what mine looks like:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #51 on: 28 Oct 2009, 10:51 pm »
here is what mine looks like:

That is exactly what my reissue cover looks like. Mystery solved, yes? :D
I will take a picture of the Speakers Corner flyer and post it when I get home after work.

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #52 on: 28 Oct 2009, 11:32 pm »
Speakers Corner reissues are usually exact reproductions of the original album cover art and labels.  They include a catalog of current titles in every record...

Here is a 1980s reissue on the London label...

I also have an original 1967 Deram pressing but am too tired to go dig it up.  The Speakers Corner reissue looks the same.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #53 on: 29 Oct 2009, 12:01 am »
These came in today...

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #54 on: 29 Oct 2009, 12:09 am »
I have the Speakers Corners pressing of DoFP and listened to it again this morning before going to work. The vinyl quality is excellent--very dark background--silent in the groove until the needle encounters music. I think it is a very good recording--lots of clarity, air and detail--very easy to close your eyes and get lost in the music. I'm a huge Moody Blues fan with mutliple copies of some albums and all of their individual recordings. IMO, this recording is worth having in your collection.

Laura

I just finished listening to it and I agree with your assessment.  It is hard to say after only one spin, but I think I even prefer the Speakers Corner reissue to the original 1967 Deram pressing.  I'll have to dig my original up and compare.

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

« Reply #55 on: 29 Oct 2009, 12:17 am »
Speakers Corner reissues are usually exact reproductions of the original album cover art and labels.  They include a catalog of current titles in every record...

I also have an original 1967 Deram pressing but am too tired to go dig it up.  The Speakers Corner reissue looks the same.

--Jerome

Wayner,

My copy looks just like the one Jerome posted, with the catalog inside. I also have the original 1967 pressing. I didn't take very good care of my albums in those days so it has some surface noise, but otherwise it is identical to the Sepakers Corner reissue in terms of cover detail and label.

Jerome, thanks for posting this and for your impressions.

Best,

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #56 on: 29 Oct 2009, 12:48 pm »
Well then, my copy must be made by Speakers Corners (who is the old A & M record label). I don't recall the catalog, but may have pitched it when I got the album. I also have the original pressing, but it's old with a few scratches.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #57 on: 29 Oct 2009, 07:19 pm »
A few more goodies in today...

--Jerome

Wayner

« Reply #58 on: 29 Oct 2009, 07:24 pm »
Good God Jerome, did you inherit some cash or are you just going nuts on LP purchases?

W aa

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #59 on: 29 Oct 2009, 10:17 pm »
Wayner, if it were an inheritance there would be a photo of an 18-wheeler sitting in front of my house -- filled with audiophile vinyl. :lol:  My buying comes in spurts.  For a few weeks I might buy a lot, and then get nothing for three or four months.  It all depends on release schedules, what people on forums such as this recommend, and what is on my wish list that I want but have not yet gotten around to.  Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton has been on my buy list for some time, but something else always seemed to come along and take priority.  I'm glad I finally got it.  I also have the MFSL CD and now have a nice vinyl copy to add to it.

--Jerome