Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #100 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm »

Confessions of a Knife
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult

I See Good Spirits & I See Bad Spirits
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult

vinyl_lady

« Reply #101 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:57 am »
Mr. Moderator--

John, I would like to request that this topic receive a sticky. It seems to have suffcient recurring interest.

thanks,

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #102 on: 10 Nov 2009, 01:50 am »
Mr. Moderator--

John, I would like to request that this topic receive a sticky. It seems to have suffcient recurring interest.

Hear, hear!!  Seconded.

--Jeorme

TheChairGuy

« Reply #103 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:50 pm »
Mr. Moderator--

thanks,

Laura

Indeed it does...and is now :thumb:

Thanks for the nudge as it is definitely a 'sticky' worthy topic :)

John

vinyl_lady

« Reply #104 on: 12 Nov 2009, 04:38 pm »
Thanks John  :beer:

Happy listening

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #105 on: 13 Nov 2009, 08:04 pm »
Just stopped in to the local record shop

They bought an 8000 lp record  collection   all mint or near mint i was going through it today they havent even had time to check it all out This is going to cost me money Saw an 1956 Ella and Louie lp that was perfect WOW did i say this is going to cost me money  :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #106 on: 13 Nov 2009, 08:25 pm »
Ed,

We are going to have to start a collection plate.  :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #107 on: 13 Nov 2009, 09:03 pm »
Do we need a vinylholics anonymous thread?  :lol: :lol:

I'm envious. I wished my local record store would find a similar collection. What's the closest airport?  :)

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #108 on: 14 Nov 2009, 04:19 pm »
Do we need a vinylholics anonymous thread?  :lol: :lol:

Probably.  :D

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

« Reply #109 on: 15 Nov 2009, 02:42 am »
A late Saturday afternoon visit to my local record store, 4000 Holes. Insipired by Bill's visit to Double Decker Records.  :D

Bob (store owner) was playing The Mars Volta record. Heard enough to buy it. As evidence that I have lived a sheltered music life, this is the first Nirvana record I have owned. The Wailers were considered one of the best Seattle/Tacoma area bands of the late 50s-60s. This will be my first listen. This was the only Richie Furay record I did not have. Buffalo Springfield and Poco sure spawned a lot of solo careers. The Bob Lind looked interesting. Cleaning time . . .

Laura

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #110 on: 15 Nov 2009, 02:55 am »

They bought an 8000 lp record  collection   all mint or near mint i was going through it today they havent even had time to check it all out This is going to cost me money Saw an 1956 Ella and Louie lp that was perfect WOW did i say this is going to cost me money  :lol:

Where are they going to put them Ed ? :scratch:

Guess a few thousand at your place and at Bill's.... :wink:

D.D.R on Facebook...

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #111 on: 15 Nov 2009, 03:26 am »

Where are they going to put them Ed ? :scratch:

Guess a few thousand at your place and at Bill's.... :wink:

D.D.R on Facebook...

Wrong store Lonewolf

were talking Main Street Jukebox

And even a glancing shot of My Musical Guru Missy who's sold me so much of the music that i post weither its Sleater kinney
or
Live at Basin Street East [LIVE] [IMPORT] Missy into it

Ed
Lambert Hendricks & Ross

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #112 on: 16 Nov 2009, 10:43 pm »
Looks like we had an unexpected break from AC for a bit.  Glad to see the forum up and running again.

I had a bunch of vinyl delivered today....some 50 albums or so.  Some are long-time wants, others were buys of opportunity, and a few were guilty pleasures.

Some Rolling Stones...that copy of Let It Bleed is really nice.

The copy of Layla is a first pressing.  I thought the Be-Bop Deluxe album was a nice find.

Excellent copies of Trafalgar, Silk Degrees, and The Royal Scam.

More to come...

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #113 on: 16 Nov 2009, 10:59 pm »
....the rest of today's haul.

Nice UK pressing of Mr. Fantasy and a wonderful clean pressing of Bridge of Sighs and Yeah!.

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

« Reply #114 on: 16 Nov 2009, 11:56 pm »
Jerome,

I am green with envy :green: Is all of this "new" vinyl?

I could use a noise free copy of Let it Bleed. That's my favorite REO album and I bought the Travelling Wilbury's vinyl box set a while back to go with my original pressings of both albums. Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart has been a long-time favorite and Janis Ian is a nice purchase. In fact, it's all good--just that these jumped out at me.

Happy cleaning and listening,

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #115 on: 17 Nov 2009, 12:23 am »
Jerome,

I am green with envy :green: Is all of this "new" vinyl?

Hi Laura,

No, it isn't all "new."  The only new albums here are in the picture with The Smiths reissues.  The rest are used vintage records.  Many of those are first pressings but some are reissues.

I could use a noise free copy of Let it Bleed. That's my favorite REO album and I bought the Travelling Wilbury's vinyl box set a while back to go with my original pressings of both albums. Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart has been a long-time favorite and Janis Ian is a nice purchase. In fact, it's all good--just that these jumped out at me.

The Stones albums were purchases of opportunity from a dealer that I know and trust.  I also have the 180g DSD reissue of Let It Bleed but I haven't had time to compare.  The Janis Ian album was simply a better copy than the one I already owned.

Happy cleaning and listening

This should keep me busy for a while, though I still have a couple of smaller orders on the way.

--Jerome

kenreau

« Reply #116 on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:44 am »
No, it isn't all "new."  The only new albums here are in the picture with The Smiths reissues.  The rest are used vintage records.  Many of those are first pressings but some are reissues.

The Stones albums were purchases of opportunity from a dealer that I know and trust.  I also have the 180g DSD reissue of Let It Bleed but I haven't had time to compare.  The Janis Ian album was simply a better copy than the one I already owned.
--Jerome

I was going to post a ? regarding the Stone LIB as well.  Same DSD question.  Reportedly as good as the originals.  I would really like to know what you think re: sound quality.

Also - The Layla album, ATCO, UK or US pressing? 

Thanks
Kenreau

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #117 on: 17 Nov 2009, 04:55 am »
I was going to post a ? regarding the Stone LIB as well.  Same DSD question.  Reportedly as good as the originals.  I would really like to know what you think re: sound quality.

Please understand that I have a lot of vinyl here that I have to clean and play test and I have more on the way.  I'm curious about how they compare as well but I might not get to this for several days...but I will get to it.

Also - The Layla album, ATCO, UK or US pressing?

ATCO US pressing.  This adds to my RSO and Simply Vinyl pressings.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #118 on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:41 pm »
Ok Kenreau, I did a limited listening comparison this morning.

The 180g DSD reissue on the left and the London (DECCA/ABKCO) pressing on the right.  I have a friend who owns a copy with DECCA in the upper right hand corner.  You should know that London was part of the DECCA family of labels.  I am going to listen to my friend's copy this weekend but I suspect that it will sound exactly the same as my London label pressing.

I carefully listened to Gimmie Shelter.  I regret not having time to devote to a critical track-by-track comparison.  Usually one can at least expect a contemporary heavy vinyl pressing to have an advantge in the quality of the vinyl since it is heavier.  But LIB was recorded at a time when records were still pressed on relatively heavy vinyl.  In terms of heft, the 180g DSD remaster doesn't offer anything that the vintage LP doesn't.  Both are pressed on thick heavy vinyl and neither will flex.

Moving on to the sound quality, there is no doubt in my mind that the DSD remaster is the better sounding record.  This doesn't really surprise me.  I own all the Stones ABKCO Hybrid SACD remasters and many people agree that they have great sound.  The London pressing is rolled off in the low frequencies, and it doesn't really make for room filling sound.  In contrast, the 180g DSD remaster has a full-bodied and rich sonic character that reveals the music as it should sound.  The original has collector value, no doubt about it.  But the 180g DSD remaster is what I would recommend to anyone looking for a great sounding version of Let It Bleed on vinyl.

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

« Reply #119 on: 17 Nov 2009, 04:04 pm »
Thanks Jerome!

Have a great day

Laura