Sony UHPH1 Universal Player

witchdoctor

Sony UHPH1 Universal Player
« on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:16 am »
I can't believe what Sony delivered in this player. First of all a great DAC for music. I stream from the PC to the UHPH1 using Jamcast and bypass the need for USB. Compared to the DAC in my Marantz 7702 processor this sounds more open and closer to vinyl. If I only used this player as a DAC it would be well worth the $300 investment. Then you add the streaming ability. It has a lot of apps and I can stream Amazon video, Hulu, YouTube, Vudu, Spotify etc. The VQ is excellent and the player can upscale to 4K (but does not play 4K discs) and 3D. I have a 3D projector (but not 4K) and both the upscaling and native 3D are excellent. The player can decode BRD or send a bitstream to your processor.  I let the player decode unless it is an Atmos or Auro 3D disc. This machine also does gaming. I got a wireless controller and a Sony Playstion online subscription with access to 250 games. I have not tried SACD's or DVD-A yet but will soon. I don't think I ever received better value for a purchase, this machine costs less than one of my cables! Highly recommended.

rotarius

Re: Sony UHPH1 Universal Player
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:41 am »
Witchdoctor, I own this bdp also.  Were your listening impressions with the DSEE upscaling on?  I find the sound to be rather flat with DSEE turned off.  Have you figured out a way to bypass the auto shut-off after 15 minutes? 

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2017, 10:55 pm »
Witchdoctor, I own this bdp also.  Were your listening impressions with the DSEE upscaling on?  I find the sound to be rather flat with DSEE turned off.  Have you figured out a way to bypass the auto shut-off after 15 minutes?

Yes, I prefer the DSEE on. I haven't figured out how to turn off auto shut off.
Have you tried Qello Concerts app yet? Did you know you can set up Plex on this too?

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:07 am »
I did not know about Plex.  I am streaming flac files from my rpi to the Sony with very good results.  Much better than connecting the hdd direct to the Sony via USB port. 

BigChubby

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2017, 06:12 pm »
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I didn't want to start another one.

I'm in total agreement on the UHP-H1.  It was probably one of the best A/V deals going.  It's a shame Sony discontinued it.  When it came out, it got dinged for not being a 4K Blu Ray player.  It seems most everybody overlooked the audio piece of it.  The internal DAC sounds quite good and the analog outputs, which are rare on inexpensive BR players make it a great SACD platform.

I bought mine from Best Buy when they were closing them out for $200.  I ended up buying a second one for my primary audio system.  With a Samsung SSD hanging off the USB port, it makes a great alternative to having to have my laptop on to access my files.  I use one of those small 10 inch LCD monitors mounted to a rail on one of my racks for music selection.

In addition, the other one is connected to the TV and has been an outstanding DVD/BR player.  Dual HDMI outputs, again, are rare on a player in this price range.  I think this will be the player that got away and nobody noticed.

Samac

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2017, 10:14 pm »
Agree 100%

I picked one up when they first came out. The picture is off the charts good and the audio with movies and music is very good. The audio kicked up a few more notches when I began using the digital out to my dac.

It has worked flawlessly. I really hope it gives me many years of service. :green: :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott