RMAF

PLMONROE

RMAF
« on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:48 am »
From all reports it sounds as if you all hit the ball clean out of the park, Steve!  :D  Congratulations!!!

Paul

Mariusz

Re: RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:10 am »
It sure appeared to be one of the best looking and carefully setup rooms of the show.

Congrats :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:08 pm »
Yes, EA room was larger than the majority (less side wall reflections before the sound reached you).  As it was at the end of the hotel, his electrical on the wall he had his amplification equipment wasn't hooked up, like so many others upstairs, to AC systems polluted with a lot of gear.

So, less sags in line voltage, less spurs, noise, etc. to muck things up.  Plenty of fine detail that shined thru with gobs of power provided by his modded Parasounds and the Salks (the big one was there and impressive - Soundscape I think it was called?)

It really sounded good in there and he kept it at sane volume levels for the sake of everyone's hearing after hours of listening (I got there just before close of show).

I think I was probably there for longer than any other room in total....mostly talking with his partner of some years; his wonderful wife, Janet (I had the pleasure of meeting both previously years ago at T.H.E. Show in Las Vegas)

John

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2010, 08:59 pm »
Yes, EA room was larger than the majority (less side wall reflections before the sound reached you).  As it was at the end of the hotel, his electrical on the wall he had his amplification equipment wasn't hooked up, like so many others upstairs, to AC systems polluted with a lot of gear.

So, less sags in line voltage, less spurs, noise, etc. to muck things up.  Plenty of fine detail that shined thru with gobs of power provided by his modded Parasounds and the Salks (the big one was there and impressive - Soundscape I think it was called?)

It really sounded good in there and he kept it at sane volume levels for the sake of everyone's hearing after hours of listening (I got there just before close of show).

I think I was probably there for longer than any other room in total....mostly talking with his partner of some years; his wonderful wife, Janet (I had the pleasure of meeting both previously years ago at T.H.E. Show in Las Vegas)

John

John - I was really pleased that you dropped-in.  Saturday was definitely better than Friday.  It's too bad you didnt hear it on Sunday, even better yet.  I left my fully optioned DAC on the table for most of the show because it didnt have much break-in, but we threw it in on Sunday for grins.  It turned-out that I should have used it all days.  This is the one with 10 internal Hynes regulators.  We also did some more fine-tuning with Amarra EQ.

I think most showgoers would have much better experiences if they just went on Sunday only.  Best sound and less crowds and talking while you are trying to listen.

Steve N,

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:05 pm »
From all reports it sounds as if you all hit the ball clean out of the park, Steve!  :D  Congratulations!!!

Paul

We missed you, but had nice dinner at Garcias with Frank and Dave and our other roommates.  Only drank one amazing Margarita.  Food was good but not great.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:26 pm »
I want to extend thanks to our great roommates who made this all possible, Chris Hoff of B-P-T, Jim Salk, and Bryan Pape of GIK acoustics, and their significant others, the mules... 

http://www.b-p-t.com/

http://www.salksound.com/

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

Bryan surprised all of us by bringing the great stratocaster guitar visual and room treatment.  Janet had to have it so it will be in our media room soon....

The room treatments were nothing short of amazing.  The walls of the room simply dissappeared.

The Salk SoundScapes are nothing short of amazing.  Room-filling bass and ambience.  Sounded great seated or standing, amazing for their short height.  Very low distortion. They require some power and efficiency is not high, so muscle amps are in order, but worth the amazing result.  Build quality and looks are first-rate.  Price is a steal at $14K show pricing.  Any other company would have these priced at $30k+.

I also want to thank Chris VenHaus for his musical contributions and Mach2 for their modded Mac-Mini, which we used on Sunday.  I was pleased to give their product a chance.

I was skeptical that changes in the computer would have any effect when using my new async USB interface, but it had an effect.  The focus was better.  If you are looking at spending a lot for a S/PDIF cable or power cord, I would recommend buying one of these Mac-Minis from Mach2 instead.  It will make a bigger difference and cheaper.  See:

http://www.mach2music.com/

Steve N.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 08:58 pm by audioengr »

dmccombs

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:17 am »
Steve,

I have followed your work on Jitter, and have several GIK absorption panels in my personal system.  I about flipped when Kevin told me we would get the chance for you, Chris, and Bryan to hear our Mach2 MacMini.  I figured you'd give the Mach2 a listen, maybe give us some constructive feedback (which we would have greatly appreciated), and we'd be on our way.  I never imagined our Mach2 MacMini would end up in your room for the show.  It was very kind of you to give us this wonderful opportunity.

Getting to work with you, Chris, and Bryan on Sunday (and Saturday night), was terrific .  Kevin and I appreciated your open mindedness to new and different gear.  It shows how passionate you all are about getting the best possible sound.  I guess that is why you all make such wonderful products.

You guys had a great setup.  Thank you for letting us help in some small way.  We learned so much.   :thumb:

Darrell McCombs
Mach2Music
www.Mach2Music.com

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:29 pm »
Steve,

I have followed your work on Jitter, and have several GIK absorption panels in my personal system.  I about flipped when Kevin told me we would get the chance for you, Chris, and Bryan to hear our Mach2 MacMini.  I figured you'd give the Mach2 a listen, maybe give us some constructive feedback (which we would have greatly appreciated), and we'd be on our way.  I never imagined our Mach2 MacMini would end up in your room for the show.  It was very kind of you to give us this wonderful opportunity.

Getting to work with you, Chris, and Bryan on Sunday (and Saturday night), was terrific .  Kevin and I appreciated your open mindedness to new and different gear.  It shows how passionate you all are about getting the best possible sound.  I guess that is why you all make such wonderful products.

You guys had a great setup.  Thank you for letting us help in some small way.  We learned so much.   :thumb:

Darrell McCombs
Mach2Music
www.Mach2Music.com

Darrell - Yes, we are passionate all right, all of us.  Lots of engineering types in our room as opposed to marketing and sales.   We are maybe not as social, but we get the job done.

I'm just dissappointed that we didnt have the Mach2 in the system from the beginning, or at least on Saturday....

Maybe next show.

Best Regards,
Steve N .

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:45 pm »
Nice to meet you Darrell.  I did enjoy the modded Mini.  It was well worth having in the system IMO.  It just made things bigger, quieter, and more effortless - all of which led to a bit more richness in the system.  If you like dynamics, detail, extension, a black background, and clean presentation, that setup did it. 

Some people would prefer a bit more warmth and that could certainly have been done with Amarra parametric EQ.  Or, insterting a tube preamp could do the same thing if desired.  The only EQ we used were 2- 1db cuts to tame a couple of things where Jim was still tweaking the crossover and we didn't have the physical parts to make the hardware changes at the show.

At any time, you can't please everyone.  In a show situation, it's even harder.  We had comments ranging from wanting more warmth to wanting more detail (?!) to more high treble (!?)  We chose to allow the pieces to function as is and show their strengths rather than trying to tailor it to one preference or another. It's all a matter of preference.

If you heard the system on Friday and not on Sunday afternoon, there was a dramatic difference.  Thanks to all who came by to listen and especially those who came back multiple times.  We appreciated the feedback.

Bryan

Housteau

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:06 pm »
It was amazing to witness and hear the room change each day from Thursday afternoon to the close of the show on Sunday.  To be honest, I thought it was sounding nice on Thursday and Friday morning.  So, I thought you were on fairly strong footing to begin with.  Then with some crossover changes, the moving of room treatments and speaker positioning and it just got better and better.  I felt the room was pretty solid on Saturday, but with those hardware changes, wow, another not so subtle step up for Sunday.  It really makes me wonder what could have taken place by Monday, or that following Tuesday?  Afterall, it usually takes me quite a long time to dial things in at home, sometimes years :).  But then, you certainly did have quite the team there, with Jim, Bryan and Chris to help make it all happen.

Dinner Saturday evening certainly was another highlight with such good people, conversation and an overall great time.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:06 pm »
Some of us that couldn't attend RMAF will greatly appreciate photos of the room.  The more the better.  Here, somewhere else, links to already posted images.  Please.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Newk Yuler

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:59 pm »
I meant Steve's room but those links are much appreciated.

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2010, 10:51 pm »
I just got home, so I have to get these off the wifes camera.

Here is one from Jason I think (Pez) - a little dark:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86946.20

Steve N.

fsimms

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:36 pm »
There are three excellent photos of the speakers in the Empirical room in the center of the second row of pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/sets/72157625186777024/

Bob

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2010, 01:32 am »
There are three excellent photos of the speakers in the Empirical room in the center of the second row of pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/sets/72157625186777024/

Bob

Here 

Here

And Here :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:52 am »
Steve,
Great room and GREAT music!!  LOVED, loved, loved the Mahler 2 with Klemperer, one of my all time favorites!  I actually had NEVER heard a SALK speaker that I did not detest before I heard your room.  Of course, the Salk room was really good this year, those Songtowers with the RAAL tweeters were far better than the ones from last year.  And the GIK room treatments were HOT!!  But I confess that I missed the giant ribbon speakers w/open baffle subs from last year. 

It was great to talk with you again, wish I had more time this year to hang out...

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:27 pm »
Steve,
Great room and GREAT music!!  LOVED, loved, loved the Mahler 2 with Klemperer, one of my all time favorites!  I actually had NEVER heard a SALK speaker that I did not detest before I heard your room.  Of course, the Salk room was really good this year, those Songtowers with the RAAL tweeters were far better than the ones from last year.  And the GIK room treatments were HOT!!  But I confess that I missed the giant ribbon speakers w/open baffle subs from last year. 

It was great to talk with you again, wish I had more time this year to hang out...

A pleasure as always.  I just wish that you had heard it on Sunday.  Even better.

I am also a fan of ribbons, but I'm not sure they have enough punch to fill that room.  I'm not shipping mine to shows anymore.

Steve N.

indirstr8s

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »

Here 

Here

And Here :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

What is the black unit in center?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:46 pm »
That is a BPT power center for the amps.

http://www.b-p-t.com/cpc-signature-plus.html

Bryan