DIY Acoustic Panel as Fireplace Insert

Audiosaurusrex

DIY Acoustic Panel as Fireplace Insert
« on: 19 Jan 2020, 12:37 am »
Hi everyone,
I am looking to make an Acoustic panel for my fireplace as an insert and wondered if it should have a solid back? I have seen both designs “open back” and “sealed”.
Any ideas as to which might work better?
Appreciate any input.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: DIY Acoustic Panel as Fireplace Insert
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2020, 02:40 pm »
My GIK 244 panels, both the "full range" and "range limiter", have an air gap behind the high density fiberglass.  The "range limiter" has a solid panel (membrane) on the front of the high density fiberglass.  Both are very effective.

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2020, 03:07 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am looking to make an Acoustic panel for my fireplace as an insert and wondered if it should have a solid back? I have seen both designs “open back” and “sealed”.
Appreciate any input.

In looking at your setup pic, my opinion is that treating that fireplace won't gain you much of anything.  It likely already functions as a great diffuser.  What is a problem in your room is the corner and wall behind the left speaker, and that window to the right of the right speaker.  There would be much more to gain there.

The reason for the open back design of some acoustic panels is that the sound going through the panel, out the back to a boundary, then back through the panel effectively makes the panel function as if it was thicker allowing it to affect lower frequencies.  My corner treatments are 4" thick, open back panels to help them function as bass traps.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2020, 03:30 pm »
Hi everyone,
Appreciate any input.

My fireplace is in the middle of the front wall, about five feet behind the front baffle of my speakers. The fireplace is partially obscured by the TV and center channel speaker, resulting in a fireplace opening of 16" x 36". Should I consider an acoustic panel in front of my fireplace, as well?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2020, 03:57 pm »
In looking at your setup pic, my opinion is that treating that fireplace won't gain you much of anything.  It likely already functions as a great diffuser.  What is a problem in your room is the corner and wall behind the left speaker, and that window to the right of the right speaker.  There would be much more to gain there.

The reason for the open back design of some acoustic panels is that the sound going through the panel, out the back to a boundary, then back through the panel effectively makes the panel function as if it was thicker allowing it to affect lower frequencies.  My corner treatments are 4" thick, open back panels to help them function as bass traps.
Thanks TJHUB,
I am going to try to treat the corner with a bass trap, What are your thoughts about diffusers behind the speakers themselves? and also what should I do with the window? I was going to do curtains. Not sure a bass trap would work in that space.
Appreciate your thoughts.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2020, 04:51 pm »
What you would gain IMHO is to reduce any resonances from the firebox and the flue.  A very thick panel pretty much filling the box would be a good choice.  With something that thick, you can get by with lighter density absorption material.  If you want to reduce it to just low/low mid absorbtion, use a limp damped membrane.  A tight membrane that is free to move is going to have a very narrow range where the limp damped would likely operate from say 200 Hz and down.  The lighter the membrane, the higher the top end of the range will be.

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2020, 05:41 pm »
Thanks TJHUB,
I am going to try to treat the corner with a bass trap, What are your thoughts about diffusers behind the speakers themselves? and also what should I do with the window? I was going to do curtains. Not sure a bass trap would work in that space.
Appreciate your thoughts.

I was happy to see bpape post, but I think you should add a room pic with a "where should I start" type of question rather than just asking about the fireplace.

I haven't yet tried any diffusion treatments in any of my rooms, so I dare not comment.  What you should do is play music through your setup at your normal listening level, and stick your head in the corners and behind your speakers to realize just how much sound energy is bouncing around.  Also, try that near the fireplace as well.

Maybe post a pic showing more of that right side? 

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2020, 09:38 pm »
I was happy to see bpape post, but I think you should add a room pic with a "where should I start" type of question rather than just asking about the fireplace.

I haven't yet tried any diffusion treatments in any of my rooms, so I dare not comment.  What you should do is play music through your setup at your normal listening level, and stick your head in the corners and behind your speakers to realize just how much sound energy is bouncing around.  Also, try that near the fireplace as well.

Maybe post a pic showing more of that right side?
Great Idea TJHUB I will do that.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2020, 11:18 pm »
So these are photos of my listening room.
A little challenging but would appreciate any advice on acoustic treatments.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2020, 11:29 pm »
I'm sure others can speak to room treatments, but I'd first consider ways to "wall off" the three room openings, especially the large one on the right of the right speaker.

I have a room opening in the back of my room, and whenever I do critical listening, I use a folding door to cover 95% of the opening. It definitely makes a difference.