Trip To Magnepan

Roger Gustavsson

Re: Trip To Magnepan
« Reply #80 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:42 pm »
I think it is a bad idea to let the midrange driver of the T-IVa go all the way down to 80-100 Hz, it will easily blow. I have not used my reburbished T-IVas yet. They will be shrinked in width to about 86 cm. Low bass drivers close to sidewalls. Mid and tweeter and decoupled panel.

josh358

« Reply #81 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:27 pm »
I think it is a bad idea to let the midrange driver of the T-IVa go all the way down to 80-100 Hz, it will easily blow. I have not used my reburbished T-IVas yet. They will be shrinked in width to about 86 cm. Low bass drivers close to sidewalls. Mid and tweeter and decoupled panel.
Hi Roger, sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm not talking about changing the XO of the midrange driver, rather of the outside bass panel which is tuned higher than the center bass panel. So it would run

L outside (midbass) bass panel - L mid/tweeter panel                           R mid/tweeter panel - R outside (midbass) bass panel
           ^
80 hz crossover
            v
wall - L inside (low bass) bass panel - R inside (low bass) bass panel

The drivers would all be operated within their normal frequency ranges but the outside and inside bass panels (tuned to the midbass and the low bass respectively) would now handle separate frequency ranges, reducing their maximum SPL but allowing me to locate the two bass panels in another part of the room. They'd be together and against the wall to minimize cancellation and I'd probably run the signal mono.

Of course I'm not sure exactly what frequencies they're tuned to so I could screw up the 6 dB/octave acoustical equalization by doing this. I'll have to check the resonance frequencies first in case I have to use a different crossover point. (I'm assuming I'd have to EQ them anyway, for any number of reasons.)

Congrats on scoring the IVa's, by the way, I didn't know you'd gotten them. Not clear on what you're planning to do. Is it

wall - low bass panel               space               mid/high panel - high bass panel (decoupled)

or

wall -- bass panel - mid/high panel, with the second bass panel gone missing?

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #82 on: 23 Jan 2015, 06:18 pm »
Hi Josh,

If you are interested, I will write you a story on my Tympani project.

Roger

josh358

« Reply #83 on: 23 Jan 2015, 08:45 pm »
Hi Roger, sure, I'd be very interested!