The Real Reason Why Modern Day Music Is So Awful

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: The Real Reason Why Modern Day Music Is So Awful
« Reply #60 on: 2 Jul 2018, 06:22 pm »

That was painfully bad.

Written by Harry Nilsson - much better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJnl3eWILw

Most of vintage pop songs until the 1980s was much better than current ''music'', in 1971 Hurricane Smith was in the top with the first ecologic song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VERqLmrngS8
He even was EMI sound engineer and was the ''Norman Smith'' producer seen in Beatles and Pink Floyd albums, a winner.

HT cOz

« Reply #61 on: 2 Jul 2018, 06:25 pm »
I like to listen to all kinds of music and I have an appreciation of today’s artists.  I think it’s important to stay relevant and be sure to be able to enjoy music as a family.  If I show my kids that I can dig their music, perhaps it will help them enjoy my music and the music of my parents.  Drake, Stone Temple Pilots, and CCR  :thumb:

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #62 on: 2 Jul 2018, 08:22 pm »

That was painfully bad.

Written by Harry Nilsson - much better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJnl3eWILw

That's my whole point as how do painfully bad garbage like that even get produced. She cant sing, she cant rap, her lyrics are crap and her beats suck....I guess its all about connections.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #63 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:41 am »
I blame Barney, that f*#king purple dinosaur. Nothing was like this until that fat b@$tard showed up on the scene.  :cuss:

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #64 on: 3 Jul 2018, 06:10 am »
Music is like food.

Pop music is "good" food. Grilled ham-n-cheese, SpaghettiOs with hot dogs cut up in it, and chicken nuggets with tator tots. Good in moderation. But is generally unhealthy if you consume it all the time.

Audiophile music is like organic kale. Quality stuff but has no flavor and is consumed by strange people.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #65 on: 3 Jul 2018, 06:27 am »
Not quite foods flavor, the truth is simpler, these artists have no voice, they need autotune, the guys do not know how to compose and have poor language understanding, so the result is the current situatiuon.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #66 on: 3 Jul 2018, 12:56 pm »
Back in the 60s record companies were all scrambling to find their own Beatles. There was money to be made but they had been caught with their pants down, utterly unprepared for the "British Invasion". The Beatles had turned out to be a social phenomenon like none before and nothing since. In their effort to capitalize on a wave they could neither understand nor control, record execs became very adventurous as to who and what they would record. This "gold fever" led them to give almost anybody a chance. That provided tremendous diversity and a plethora of talent emerged as a result. I'm sure there is a similar force lurking now but it is suppressed almost entirely by corporate stricture and bottom line decision making. Add in the fact that FM radio was unfettered by the likes of Clear Channel and you get a reasonable sense of what keeps the lid on creative expression reaching a wide audience today.
Most corporate decisions now are either made by, or require the approval of, bean counters. The focus is entirely on ROI and message control. Don't bother to seek relief from this problem until after WW III.

charmerci

« Reply #67 on: 3 Jul 2018, 03:53 pm »
Back in the 60s record companies were all scrambling to find their own Beatles. There was money to be made but they had been caught with their pants down, utterly unprepared for the "British Invasion". The Beatles had turned out to be a social phenomenon like none before and nothing since. In their effort to capitalize on a wave they could neither understand nor control, record execs became very adventurous as to who and what they would record. This "gold fever" led them to give almost anybody a chance. That provided tremendous diversity and a plethora of talent emerged as a result. I'm sure there is a similar force lurking now but it is suppressed almost entirely by corporate stricture and bottom line decision making. Add in the fact that FM radio was unfettered by the likes of Clear Channel and you get a reasonable sense of what keeps the lid on creative expression reaching a wide audience today.
Most corporate decisions now are either made by, or require the approval of, bean counters. The focus is entirely on ROI and message control. Don't bother to seek relief from this problem until after WW III.

I remember when a very young LeeAnn Rimes hit the airwaves. Here was a 13 year old with tons of talent and potential in which I heard good things from for so young BUT the music industry and the bright lights (fame and fortune!) grabbed a hold of her and I've only heard (though I don't follow her) mostly overly produced mediocrity. What a shame - and our loss.

Stercom

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jul 2018, 04:47 pm »
Go to your local college. Go in the music department and find-out when and where their composing students/faculty are performing their music. Next go to the student union building and see where the local bands are playing. Then go to these local concerts. I'm betting you won't say "modern day music is so awful' There is great new music being made and performed everyday.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #69 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:41 pm »
Go to your local college. Go in the music department and find-out when and where their composing students/faculty are performing their music. Next go to the student union building and see where the local bands are playing. Then go to these local concerts. I'm betting you won't say "modern day music is so awful' There is great new music being made and performed everyday.

YES!  Thank you :thumb:

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #70 on: 3 Jul 2018, 10:06 pm »
I really like Allen Stones songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Hy6kp5kIs

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jul 2018, 02:46 am »
It's a mistake to tune out of current music because the popular tunes don't appeal to you. Good music is still being made, you just don't find it through popular channels, which for the most part has always been the case. Perhaps even worse, should a good artist find themselves in the heavy rotation, it soon is replayed to the point of revulsion. So I am not actually too saddened by the situation; it can never be a good thing to be turned off by an artist with otherwise genuine merit.

I'd have to look up the data again, which I'm not inclined to spend time on, but something like 1 out of 100 artists ever earn enough to repay the advances from the Label. And that is not new. But that one artist provides the revenue necessary to keep the Label viable. So that is the business end which explains the situation; that "Crap" you hear on the radio (or wherever) is a key part of keeping "good music" available to us all.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

NHSkier

« Reply #73 on: 4 Jul 2018, 02:20 pm »
Some new music worth checking out:

Lindsay Ell
John Butler Trio

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #74 on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:38 pm »
Play From Your Heart would be a novel suggestion to those stuck in the realm of what is "commercially viable". Lack of sincerity and spontaneity is the death blow to creativity, in any art form.

https://youtu.be/RLeQ7oxUAKc

Have we ever defined what "Modern Day Music" actually means or is it a continuously moving target in this case?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #75 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:33 pm »
Any topic that begins with "the Real Reason why....(fill in your gripe here)" seldom if ever settles the argument.  Conspiracy theories often are part of the "Reason..."   :duh:

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #76 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:35 pm »
Have we ever defined what "Modern Day Music" actually means or is it a continuously moving target in this case?

No, we have not.

All kinds of music, commercial and non-commercial is being made. It's safe to say that some modern popular music is garbage, and a little bit of it is ok.

Can we address not just the talent of modern artists, but the circumstances that allow them to heard easier? Not only are mega-corporations pushing certain artists, certain types of artists, and certain messages/ideals, but the digital age is allowing garbage artists to be see/heard easier than they could have in the past.

Emsquare

« Reply #77 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:42 pm »
I don't accept the premise to begin with. There is a lot of exceptional music being written and performed right now. Every decade has its stellar contributions as well as things that are mind numbingly boring. The music industry invests in music it can sell. I think it was observed that the primary demographic is 13 year old girls, somewhat recently. But... The internet has changed everything. Some of the very young musicians can make a study of their inspirations so easily nowdays. I would argue that the level of musicianship is reaching new heights because of that. If you can find it. People have just as much passion for music as they ever did. Victor Wooten impressed me as much as any bass player I am familiar with and he isn't done yet. I remember having my head turned by Stanley Jordan because he played like nobody I had seen before. Now it isn't quite as unique. Evidence...

https://youtu.be/sMbW4sptVnE

WGH

« Reply #78 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:55 pm »
Modern day music is wonderful, those who think it is awful are looking in all the wrong places.
Listen to KXCI for a week and you will discover a dozen's of new favorite artists in every genre. https://kxci.org/

But if you insist in believing new music is awful then you will enjoy the feature article about Bhad Bhabie (Bad Baby) in the NY Times Magazine, it's really a good read:

The Big Business of Becoming Bhad Bhabie
How a troubled Florida teenager went from the “Dr. Phil” show to signing a major-label record deal as a rapper.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/magazine/the-big-business-of-becoming-bhad-bhabie.html?hpw&rref=magazine&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Read the article then watch the videos, I really liked the images and humor in "Gucci Flip Flops"
Bhad Bhabie "Hi Bich Remix"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEYmQlWBeAE

BHAD BHABIE "Gucci Flip Flops"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsp7IOr7Q9A

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #79 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:20 pm »
I don't accept the premise to begin with. There is a lot of exceptional music being written and performed right now. Every decade has its stellar contributions as well as things that are mind numbingly boring. The music industry invests in music it can sell. I think it was observed that the primary demographic is 13 year old girls, somewhat recently. But... The internet has changed everything. Some of the very young musicians can make a study of their inspirations so easily nowdays. I would argue that the level of musicianship is reaching new heights because of that. If you can find it. People have just as much passion for music as they ever did. Victor Wooten impressed me as much as any bass player I am familiar with and he isn't done yet. I remember having my head turned by Stanley Jordan because he played like nobody I had seen before. Now it isn't quite as unique. Evidence...

This title thread refers to pop FM top 40.