Help Understanding Okto DAC8 Stereo

cloudbaseracer

Help Understanding Okto DAC8 Stereo
« on: 27 Mar 2021, 09:24 pm »
https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm

I am looking into this unit and see that it has a ethernet port on it.  I want to stream music from my computer using CAT 5 (as I do now with my current DAC) and do not have the ability or desire to use USB.  What I don't understand is what Okto Research means when they say it has a Raspberry Pi option that must be wired into it? Will this unit not take a signal from computer without additional hardware? 

Also, on the order sheet it has a selection for a custom output voltage.  What would I want to choose?

Thanks!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Help Understanding Okto DAC8 Stereo
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2021, 09:54 pm »
My only warning with Okto is the lead time...it is well documented.  You could wait 4-6 months at this point.

For your questions.  The stereo version you have an option to have an RPi4 built in so then your ethernet would go direct.  Whereas the dac8 Pro has to be external.

Output voltage might need to be adjusted depending on on your use/gain setup. 

There was a used one that I saw  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fs-okto-dac8-stereo.21378/

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2021, 11:55 am »
My only warning with Okto is the lead time...it is well documented.  You could wait 4-6 months at this point.

For your questions.  The stereo version you have an option to have an RPi4 built in so then your ethernet would go direct.  Whereas the dac8 Pro has to be external.

Output voltage might need to be adjusted depending on on your use/gain setup. 

There was a used one that I saw  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fs-okto-dac8-stereo.21378/
That one's sitting at my house right now, just for grins  8)

There is a small hard wired type jumper that plugs into the back from the Pi4 (inside) USB output to the DAC USB input. See pic at lower right. Ethernet cable plugs right in between them.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2021, 04:54 pm »
How is this unit? I was thinking about the Mola Mola Tambaqui but i have not heard it so I am not sure if it really is the ultimate DAC like they say. This Okto seems like it could be a great option. Do you use it as a volume control pre also?

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2021, 06:30 pm »
How is this unit? I was thinking about the Mola Mola Tambaqui but i have not heard it so I am not sure if it really is the ultimate DAC like they say. This Okto seems like it could be a great option. Do you use it as a volume control pre also?
Make that "ultimate measuring DAC". I had the Tambaqui (not at the same time) and it is also very good, I'm not sure about $8-10k good. What you get with the Okto is remarkable clarity and black background, no detail left out, while it makes very good music, all for a crazy low price. I've been listening to it through a Modwright KWH 225i integrated, so haven't used it as a preamp yet. Note that they strongly recommend XLR's, there is no SE output on it at all, so you need a preamp/amp with balanced inputs. It is functionally very solid and user friendly, using an Apple remote. It sounds very pleasant, lots of information, slightly on edge of an up front presentation, overall just very nice listen to. Then, I put my Bricasti M1SE back in and I immediately felt that "ahhh" feeling of the sound being a bit more relaxed, smoother, while easily matching the clarity and information retrieval the Okto excels at. The M1 is also 7x (new) the price of the Okto. It probably comes down to a matter of taste on the presentation, and I just prefer the more relaxed M1. That said, the Okto is a bargain that will never disappoint on its own. I'm very impressed with it.