WITHDRAWN GR Research Super V pair + Rythmik A370PEQ amps for sale

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: GR Research Super V pair + Rythmik A370PEQ amps for sale $2800
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2018, 02:30 pm »
How much time have you spent adjusting the Servo's, and what tools do you have at your disposal? Have you tried any room treatments?

It took me quite awhile to get the Bass where I wanted it to be using several different tools and playing around with room treatments. You may find that getting that straightened out can clean up other frequencies.

SoCalWJS,

Dan's diligent work here, is a testament to how much he has already done in that regard.

Here are some more detailed pics of his room and setup.

Dan, your decay times from 150-300 Hz are a bit short/quick; that's a double edged sword but I wouldn't dwell on it too much given that it is a very small octave although an important one for music. The instability of a center image, I agree, would be a more dire issue but I can't help much unless I am there. I am planning on a trip to the Raleigh/Durham area in May for some business.

Best,
Anand.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2018, 02:56 pm »
One suggestion is to add more either diffusion or absorption below the first reflection point diffusors as a test.  Possibly even some pillows stacked as a test.  The servo subs work up into the range you are thinking gives the unstable image, and voice is still in that range. 

I use the hard fiberglass panels wrapped in Gilford cloth at mine and go from floor up.  Worked in my setup where I had those speakers.

I also had a problem with slap echos in my room that was stopped with absorption over the areas where I could hear it with hand claps. 

Just some thoughts.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2018, 04:01 pm »
SoCalWJS,

Dan's diligent work here, is a testament to how much he has already done in that regard.

Here are some more detailed pics of his room and setup.

Dan, your decay times from 150-300 Hz are a bit short/quick; that's a double edged sword but I wouldn't dwell on it too much given that it is a very small octave although an important one for music. The instability of a center image, I agree, would be a more dire issue but I can't help much unless I am there. I am planning on a trip to the Raleigh/Durham area in May for some business.

Best,
Anand.
Geesh....How did I miss that thread??  :duh:

Look's like he's done all of the things I've thought of with regards to room issues.

danvprod

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2018, 04:48 pm »
@Hal -- good thoughts. I have actually removed the diffusors and RPGs behind the speakers. So the only treatment I have in the room right now is the 5 bass traps. I almost pulled the trigger on some GIK freestanding bass traps with scatter plates to put behind the speakers or in between them over the windows. But then decided against it.

I definitely have a flutter echo between the side walls. It is clearly audible when I clap. I do still need another bass trap behind me as well to go to the ceiling.

Fabric wrapped hard panels at the first reflection points is a good idea as well. I suspect they are involved with the unstable center image. It's one of those things that you end up keying into in your system, and then you end up catching it and it frustrated you, and that causes you to not like listening to the system, which is the opposite of what it should be.

Anyways, appreciate all the suggestions. Always open to experimenting. Here is a more recent measurement:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2018, 06:16 pm »
Dan,

Don't know if you want to take this to the Acoustics or GIK forum but here goes anyway. It seems that you are satisfied for the time being with your low frequency response and decay.  And you have now shifted your attention to the area above 300 Hz (300-20khz specifically). This might be easier with REW but I bet Fuzz Measure is equally as good although I am unfamiliar with it.

That being said, I don't know if the above measurement was just one speaker or both of your Super V's together. I would recommend measuring only one speaker at a time (above 300Hz) to avoid phase interactions, and comb filtering which will render measurement inaccuracies in the higher frequency regions. You want to see how each speaker matches the other, particularly over the bandwidth of 250Hz to 4khz.  1/6th to 1/12th octave smoothing is enough. Higher than 1/12th octave and it gets difficult to interpret in room measurements particularly in the area above 300Hz. The vertical scale can span 50dB (as shown) but if you can change it to be 5dB increments, it might be more instructive.

Best,
Anand.

danvprod

« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2018, 01:24 am »
Just updated my system thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151568, which is a better place to troubleshoot this, perhaps.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2018, 03:14 am »
Dan, Here's what I have found, first make sure you listen to Anand :thumb:. O.K. that's not what I was going to say but it's true :lol:

Here are a few things that really helped with my center stage. I brought my speakers at least 5' into the room, I realize this may not be possible. I added 6" GIK absorption panels at the first reflection points and installed floor to ceiling corner traps in the front corners. I have my audio rack on the side wall so nothing is in between the speakers. All of these things helped and I now have an amazing center stage. The instruments and voices float in the center of the speakers from the floor to about 7' high or more. My speakers are about 3' off of the side wall and about 5' or so off of the front wall. They are toed in so they are almost facing me. I sit about 10' away and the Super Vs are about 10' apart. You can see my room in my gallery. It is 20' x 30' x 10' so I don't know how any of this would work in your room but thought I would try and help.

Also, I have had my MHDT Havana in this system and really liked it. I also used my Joule Electra LA150MK11SE with my Super Vs and that was very nice as well. Now I have a Lampi Atlantic Plus with VC and currently I'm using a 1200AS2 amp that is kindly being loaned to me. Yes, the midrange does a great job of keeping up with the servo subs with this amp. The sound is fairly warm with the 1200as which surprised me. I've been looking at the Rouge Audio 1200AS2 based amp myself and If I get that sooner than later I would be happy to let you try it.

Greg

bavmike

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2018, 04:05 am »
Dan, Here's what I have found, first make sure you listen to Anand :thumb:. O.K. that's not what I was going to say but it's true :lol:

Here are a few things that really helped with my center stage. I brought my speakers at least 5' into the room, I realize this may not be possible. I added 6" GIK absorption panels at the first reflection points and installed floor to ceiling corner traps in the front corners. I have my audio rack on the side wall so nothing is in between the speakers. All of these things helped and I now have an amazing center stage. The instruments and voices float in the center of the speakers from the floor to about 7' high or more. My speakers are about 3' off of the side wall and about 5' or so off of the front wall. They are toed in so they are almost facing me. I sit about 10' away and the Super Vs are about 10' apart. You can see my room in my gallery. It is 20' x 30' x 10' so I don't know how any of this would work in your room but thought I would try and help.

Also, I have had my MHDT Havana in this system and really liked it. I also used my Joule Electra LA150MK11SE with my Super Vs and that was very nice as well. Now I have a Lampi Atlantic Plus with VC and currently I'm using a 1200AS2 amp that is kindly being loaned to me. Yes, the midrange does a great job of keeping up with the servo subs with this amp. The sound is fairly warm with the 1200as which surprised me. I've been looking at the Rouge Audio 1200AS2 based amp myself and If I get that sooner than later I would be happy to let you try it.

Greg

The 1200AS? Did you pull the module out of the amp and listen direct? What do you consider your Lampi Atlantic? A superclock?

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2018, 07:11 am »
The 1200AS? Did you pull the module out of the amp and listen direct? What do you consider your Lampi Atlantic? A superclock?

My Lampizator Atlantic Dac was designed and built from the ground up by the well known LuKanz Fikus who is an electrical engineer from Poland. According to him He picks all of his own parts from around the world and designs his dac circuits from scratch. He then installs these dac boards into his own housings which many know have changed through the years. These circuit designs become some of the best dacs on the planet. 

ICEpower is a Danish company that used to be part of B&O before they split off. According to them they build some of the best class D amplifiers in the world. They were designed by a team of engineers over many years. ICEpower then sells these amp boards to audio companies big and small who incorporate them into their own housings before selling them to the consumer. There are several companies throughout the world that use these same boards. It's up to the consumer to find a good company they trust and feel comfortable with. 

Greg
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2018, 08:12 am by gregfisk »

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 26 Apr 2018, 05:36 pm »
Dan, sorry for the off topic post, hopefully I won't need to do that again.

If you have a chance to try a high powered amp with your Super Vs before you sell them I think you would be surprised what they can do. Especially class D amps since my Crown XLS1500 also allowed the midrange driver to keep up with the servo subs.

Greg

danvprod

« Reply #30 on: 26 Apr 2018, 06:48 pm »
Not off-topic! I love the troubleshooting and feedback and on what works and what doesn't with the super Vs. I just wanted to capture it in my system thread so I can keep track of all of it.

rockdrummer

« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2018, 01:59 pm »
Okay, I have been watching this thread a lot. I am in the position where I have super v speakers, blown away by how they sound, have been lucky to have such help here, and still wanting more...

My center image is great. Voice hovers magically. I'm wondering how much more imaging to look for. Do instruments really get separated in the super v with decent room treatment? How much to expect?

If this should be in another thread of its own, I understand. I don't know if it's an easy answer.
Thanks so much!
Open baffle and servo subs is the bomb!
Ben

danvprod

« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2018, 02:24 pm »
@rockdrummer. I posted some updates to what's going on to my system thread that you might be interested in (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151568). What amp do you use with your Super Vs?

Dan

rockdrummer

« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2018, 07:39 pm »
I use a Bottlehead Stereomour.  I need to spend more time with that thread. 

Ben