Update for my speakers

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Update for my speakers
« on: 5 Mar 2021, 06:39 pm »
I built my Super 7 monitors a couple of years ago.  I made two changes today.  When I first wired them up I used push on speaker clips in case I made any mistakes.  Today I finally got around to solder the wires properly.  My crossovers have a sonicap on the tweeter.  I added 0.1uF Miflex KFPM-01 copper caps as bypass.  The resolution on these things is unreal.  I started with some Dave Brubeck and immediately noticed brushes slide, diddle, and bang on the snare which also sounded more real.  I've heard this music hundreds of times but the brushes on the snare never drew my attention like they do now.  It's like a focus knob got turned up.  The sound is also less anchored to the speakers.  It's a small change and yet remarkable for roughly $20 and a little soldering work.

« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2021, 08:08 pm by corndog71 »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Update for my speakers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2021, 06:43 pm »
Very nice!
I got the Miflex bypass caps along with my X-Statik crossovers yester, so I'm really exited to hear how they sound once the project is finished!
Glad to hear that all the changes made have really opened up the clarity & detail in your system!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2021, 07:33 pm »
Yes, IMO there's almost no limit to how good the Super 7's can sound.  As you upgrade wiring/caps/coils/resistors, they just sound better and better and better.  Same with the gear feeding them.  They scale up to match any level of equipment you put in front of them. They are truly world class speakers.

jn316

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2021, 07:38 pm »
Man, so wish I'd have jumped on the Super 7 monitors a year ago. The timing just wasn't right financially.
If you ever want to sell yours, Corndog, I'd be interested.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2021, 08:50 pm »
I built my Super 7 monitors a couple of years ago.  I made two changes today.  When I first wired them up I used push on speaker clips in case I made any mistakes.  Today I finally got around to solder the wires properly.  My crossovers have a sonicap on the tweeter.  I added 0.1uF Miflex KFPM-01 copper caps as bypass. The resolution on these things is unreal.  I started with some Dave Brubeck and immediately noticed brushes slide, diddle, and bang on the snare which also sounded more real.  I've heard this music hundreds of times but the brushes on the snare never drew my attention like they do now.  It's like a focus knob got turned up.  The sound is also less anchored to the speakers.  It's a small change and yet remarkable for roughly $20 and a little soldering work.
Nice to hear that there was an audible difference!

Just for clarification - did you ADD the Miflex to the crossover, or did you SWAP OUT the Sonicap with the Miflex?

corndog71

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2021, 09:07 pm »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2021, 11:37 pm »

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought you already had Sonicap (Platinum) bypass Caps and swapped/added the Miflex.   :oops:

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2021, 01:27 am »
I have Sonicap platinum bypasses but on my other speakers.

These Miflex caps ( not the paper in oil version) are still great caps.  I’ve used them before in one of my tube amps.  I’m still surprised how much they brought to the 7’s.