Danny - Any recommendations for P1 setup?

vfrpilot

« on: 13 Feb 2003, 12:14 am »
Danny, do you have specific recommendations for speaker distance apart, distance to the listener, distance from the back wall, toe-in, etc. ?

I am particularly interested in your thoughts on toe-in.

I currently have the speakers on 24" osiris stands, 58" apart from edge to edge (60" gets a really deep and open soundstage but looses a bit of the middle stage), 30" from back wall, 33" from side walls and 105" to listeners head. about 10deg toe in (though this changes hourly).

PS.  The Sonicaps are wonderful. Thanks for providing the option for this upgrade. Really... Wow!

aaron

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Speaker placement
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2003, 03:28 pm »
Danny, do you have specific recommendations for speaker distance apart, distance to the listener, distance from the back wall, toe-in, etc. ?

It all depends on the room acoustics, room size and listening distance. Using your ears and not being afraid to move the speakers around a lot is the best guide.

Sounds like you have down that already.

try moving your listening distance back a little (if possible) then playing with the speaker placement some more. It might get even better.

Room treatment goes a long way too. Tube traps and sound absorbing panels can make your speakers disappear with a little effort.

Have fun.

eric the red

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2003, 01:25 am »
Aaron-How do you like the Unico/P1 combo :?:  I had a chance to drive my P3s with a 100 wpc ancient Mac amp today and I'm thinking about buying an integrated with more power-I don't think I'm realizing the full potential of these speakers with my Audiomat.-sb

vfrpilot

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2003, 02:13 am »
Don't sell that audiomat until I here it!  Bring the thing by and we can listen to them both. We might have to trade amps straight acrossed. :-)

aaron@probes.com

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2003, 02:36 am »
I've got a Krell KAV-300i integrated coming tommorow-we can have an integrated amp shoot-out as all three amps are pretty well-regarded 8)