The Buss Output Impedance

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
The Buss Output Impedance
« on: 7 Jul 2011, 05:48 pm »
I was reading through this thread http://www.psaudio.com/ps/forum/viewthread/2100/P0/ and read Paul's comments:

What we have determined over all these years of building regenerated power devices is that the three most important issues of power to be dealt with are:

1.  Low output impedance.  Lower than the wall.
2.  Dynamically regulated voltage.  This is where the voltage never waivers under dynamic (musical demands) conditions.
3.  Perfect shape sine wave.  This is where we add missing energy back to correct the sine wave shape.  We measure the results as distortion.

Unfortunately, only a regenerator like the Power Plant can address all three of these major issues.  Isolation transformer, balanced transformers and passive filters all make every single one of the above desired results WORSE not better. 

He goes onto to say:
Yes, a Power Plant produces well over 100 times LESS output impedance than what comes out of the wall - so instead of raising it like everything else on the market does, it lowers it - and dramatically so.

What are your thoughts on this?  Does the Buss lower output impedance? 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: The Buss Output Impedance
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2011, 07:01 pm »
I was reading through this thread http://www.psaudio.com/ps/forum/viewthread/2100/P0/ and read Paul's comments:

What we have determined over all these years of building regenerated power devices is that the three most important issues of power to be dealt with are:

1.  Low output impedance.  Lower than the wall.
2.  Dynamically regulated voltage.  This is where the voltage never waivers under dynamic (musical demands) conditions.
3.  Perfect shape sine wave.  This is where we add missing energy back to correct the sine wave shape.  We measure the results as distortion.

Unfortunately, only a regenerator like the Power Plant can address all three of these major issues.  Isolation transformer, balanced transformers and passive filters all make every single one of the above desired results WORSE not better. 

He goes onto to say:
Yes, a Power Plant produces well over 100 times LESS output impedance than what comes out of the wall - so instead of raising it like everything else on the market does, it lowers it - and dramatically so.

What are your thoughts on this?  Does the Buss lower output impedance?
The short answer is: yes, of course.

Any power supply needs to be low noise, low impedance to be effective and applicable to quality audio reproduction.

The wall output impedance is generally given to be ~ 1 ohm.  The PFC network in an UberBUSS is about .001 ohm, but it is in parallel with the wall impedance and the load will vary upon the the PFC.  Under normal operating conditions, the output impedance is less than .1 ohm.

I agree with what Paul has to say in theory, but application sometimes proves to be different.  Also, the target use has to be considered.  For noise reduction, balanced transformers measure superior at my home.  Dynamically regulated voltage is less important the dynamic current capability.  The PP are limited here.

As a past owner of Power Plants, they worked well as long as the use did not exceed the headroom capabilities of the PP.  Dynamis headrrom on them appeared to be < 3dB which is not suitable for large power amps.  The PPs are essentially class AB stereopower amplifiers putting out 60V RMS to the outputs with one inverted to give AC.  Even my 20W Cary Class A amps would run a P600 out of current with the resultant dynamic compression of the music.  They did sound very good on froint ends, especially when driven with an UberBUSS

The PowerPlants would be ideal for the new generation of digital amps, methinks.

The new BatteryBUSS has an output impedance of < .01 ohm, FYI.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2011, 07:06 pm »
Thanks for the info Dave.   :thumb:

I've always had great success with balanced power and that is still one of the things that I'd like to try again with the current setup.  Someday...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:16 pm »
Thanks for the info Dave.   :thumb:

I've always had great success with balanced power and that is still one of the things that I'd like to try again with the current setup.  Someday...
Yeah, balanced power is very cool.  I spec that in studios for the really important pieces of gear.

In my old system (before battery power) the line up was: dedicated circuit > Pass&Seymour outlet >Topaz Ultra Iso TX > UberBUSS which split to a P300 for the front end and the power amps were plugged into the Uber.  The Topaz is not a balanced TX but still a good one.  I thought that was a very quiet rig until I went to battery.  :o  Now THERE is a cold shot to the brain.

My sub amps are on AC through the Uber.

Any results that you want to share with the Atma-sphere amps?  I would think that balanced would be good with them.

Power supply is where it all starts: without a good heart the brain and the muscles just don't work well.

Dave

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2011, 01:28 am »
As a past owner of Power Plants, they worked well as long as the use did not exceed the headroom capabilities of the PP.  Dynamis headrrom on them appeared to be < 3dB which is not suitable for large power amps. 

EXACTLY! My main gripe with power conditioners & regenerators is that they "ROB" the dynamics! On my 104 dB K-horns, you can clearly hear what's missing!

The Buss Line of products appear not to limit dynamics! Kudos to you, Dave!

My $0.02,
Pete