Roon and eero: One Solution

Zuman

Roon and eero: One Solution
« on: 10 Feb 2024, 09:05 pm »
I've dealt with a continuing battle between my eero mesh network and Roon. It seems that every time there's a power or internet outage Roon and eero stop talking to each other. Yes, I've tried just about all of the suggestions from the Roon Community forum and elsewhere on the Web, including disabling firewalls, etc. It seems that it's a well-known issue.
Most recently, my NUC - running Roon ROCK - refused to update from 2.0 to 2.0.28. The error message from Roon was that it couldn't verify the update and that I should check my internet connection. I was pretty sure that the connection was good because Roon was running properly and happily performing all of its user-facing functions, and, as we know, 2.0 required an internet connection.
Today I decided to create a separate non-eero network for my audio system. I plugged a Linksys router into a nearby eero's Ethernet port and set up a new Linksys network. Then I connected my NUC to the Linksys router and used the new Linksys network for my NUC and my NAD M50.2 digital player/vault.
Once I'd connected my phone, tablet, and laptop to the new network, I started Roon, navigated to Settings and About, and watched the NUC immediately update.
I like eero (I have seven of them distributed over a fairly large area, and I get good coverage throughout), but I'm going to keep my Linksys network for my audio system. The Linksys router and one of the eeros sit about 12 inches apart, connected by a short LAN cable. Now that the eero's only job is to feed internet to the Linksys, it seems that everyone's happy.