MPS-2 with BP-25

stonedeaf

MPS-2 with BP-25
« on: 18 May 2019, 08:18 pm »
so here's my question - I see the MPS-2 as listed /able to power a BP-25 ? Is this true ? I understand the 12v DC  input wouldn't be used on the 25 (of no use to me personally) -but otherwise they mate up ? Have I got it right that the 37v DC +/- that the  MPS-2 puts out is just regulated down to the 24v DC that both the 25/26 use -the 25 regulator doesn't find this a challenge (compared to the 28 V DC the MPS-1 puts out ?)? Finally - isn't the DC  plug into the BP-25 different from the later Bryston remotely powered products ? IOW-doesn't that plug on the back panel of the 25 need to be changed ?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: MPS-2 with BP-25
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2019, 10:37 pm »
Doing a search in the Bryston forum: offers:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121466.msg1278882#msg1278882

Basically says:
"Without any changes to a BP-25MC can a MPS-2 replace the MPS-1 using a stock cable from the BP-25MC"
and the answer from Mike Pickett:
"Your BP25 can be powered by an MPS2 without modification, using a XLR6M to DIN cable, provided at no charge when ordered with the MPS2.  This won't take advantage of the separate low voltage supply in the MPS2, but should improve performance to a certain degree.

Upgrading the BP25 to a BP26 will allow you to take full advantage of the MPS2.

=====================================================
So I guess you would need to order the XLR6M to DIN from Bryston

stonedeaf

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2019, 11:04 pm »
Thanks Elisabeth. I think ? the low voltage supply is the 12V that is only used for allowing your pre-amp to be the master and turn on or off the other remote controlled products further down the signal path - not some thing I've ever had to do . OTOH- gotta hand it to Bryston - my BP-25 is 20+ years old -  pretty close to no one else in the Hi-Fi world upgrades old preamps to current SOTA and on top of that for extremely reasonable dollars :-) . There's a good reason Bryston products re-sell for real money.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2019, 11:18 pm »
In some other Bryston Circle thread ... yes, I read the 12 volts only does that, remote turn on/off of other components That is the 12v ONLY function in the MPS-2 for the BP-26