Bryston CD3

Joe Frances

Re: Bryston CD3
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2018, 05:02 am »
"There is also no headphone output—either on the front or the rear panel which, because I do a lot of headphone listening and prefer my headphones to be as close to the original source as possible (so as to have the least circuitry in the way) I view as a fairly significant oversight… but you might have a different opinion."

All in all a fairly positive review...but I think the last headphone out I've seen on a dedicated player, besides on a Discman was a 1990s Pioneer.  :dunno:
He'll shall need to audition the BHA-1  :thumb:

I think all McIntosh CD/SACD players have headphone jacks as well.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2018, 06:01 pm »
Having read the review in detail, I believe the reviewer lost track of the basic concept of the BCD-3.  Adding a headphone jack and the associated headphone amplifier and volume control would negate the overriding concept, viz., KISS!

Just a thought from a STAX guy.

sweetspot

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2018, 07:58 pm »
James, In a few reviews on line, they've made mention of a metal drawer in the new bcd-3. I took delivery of a new bcd-3 this week, and the drawer is plastic. Did you run out of the metal drawers and are now using a new supplier?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2018, 08:21 pm »
James, In a few reviews on line, they've made mention of a metal drawer in the new bcd-3. I took delivery of a new bcd-3 this week, and the drawer is plastic. Did you run out of the metal drawers and are now using a new supplier?

Not as far as I know - the draw is metal.

james

won ton on

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2018, 01:06 am »
My bcd 3 has a plastic drawer with metal rails on each side.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2018, 01:53 am »
Hi Folks,

Here's a picture of the drive which is metal.

I will ask about the drawer itself.

james

Calypte

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2018, 06:51 am »
I have no dog in this fight, but aren't the loaders in most CD players -- no matter how exhalted their brand names -- standard, off-the-shelf items from one or two (tops) Chinese manufacturers?  I don't recall seeing ever one with anything other than a plastic drawer. 

AndrewA

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2018, 01:44 pm »
The CD transport is manufactured by Austrian company StreamUnlimited.

There is a lot of metal involved.  The tray on my BCD-3 has a faint Nextel-like finish.  I wouldn't want to be putting the business side of CDs on to metal, anyway.

Photon46

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2018, 03:38 pm »
I have no dog in this fight, but aren't the loaders in most CD players -- no matter how exhalted their brand names -- standard, off-the-shelf items from one or two (tops) Chinese manufacturers?  I don't recall seeing ever one with anything other than a plastic drawer.

Esoteric (Teac) and Luxman definitely do not use off the shelf outsourced drives. They are bespoke in-house manufactured. The drawer in my Luxman is solid metal.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2018, 04:09 pm »
The disc is lifted above the surface during playback, so the drawer material has no impact on the SQ once it is shut.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2018, 05:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

From engineering.

Hi James,,

The tray is metal, we've never had plastic trays in the BCD 3

Dan

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2018, 05:25 pm »
Having read the review in detail, I believe the reviewer lost track of the basic concept of the BCD-3.  Adding a headphone jack and the associated headphone amplifier and volume control would negate the overriding concept, viz., KISS!....yes agreed for sure . This would be just extra electronic clutter from the purist concept of this device....The BCD3 is a fabulous player from witch I am still hearing things previously hidden on my BCD1....bravo Bryston...
Just a thought from a STAX guy.

sweetspot

« Reply #32 on: 23 Dec 2018, 05:34 pm »
Thank-you James, If engineering says it's a metal tray-metal it is. Have had the bcd-3 player for about a week and a half now. Been doing a lot of serious listening in that time. Jaw dropping is the first thought that comes to mind! This player replaces the bcd-1 which I thought "It can't get any better than this!" Well it did. How much information are on these cd's? This has taken my all Bryston system to a much higher level.Kudos to you for pushing for this player against the wishes of others.  Again, thank-you for being, Bryston.            Cheers, Keith

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #33 on: 25 Dec 2018, 02:44 am »
A Blessed and Merry Christmas for all of us.

George

redbook

« Reply #34 on: 26 Dec 2018, 03:29 am »
Thank-you James, If engineering says it's a metal tray-metal it is. Have had the bcd-3 player for about a week and a half now. Been doing a lot of serious listening in that time. Jaw dropping is the first thought that comes to mind! This player replaces the bcd-1 which I thought "It can't get any better than this!" Well it did. How much information are on these cd's? This has taken my all Bryston system to a much higher level.Kudos to you for pushing for this player against the wishes of others.  Again, thank-you for being, Bryston.            Cheers, Keith.... Yes ,I find the same thing....Redbook cd is much better than believed ...I'm hearing things never heard before through any previous player including the BCD 1...

rmurray

« Reply #35 on: 26 Dec 2018, 02:51 pm »
Thank-you James, If engineering says it's a metal tray-metal it is. Have had the bcd-3 player for about a week and a half now. Been doing a lot of serious listening in that time. Jaw dropping is the first thought that comes to mind! This player replaces the bcd-1 which I thought "It can't get any better than this!" Well it did. How much information are on these cd's? This has taken my all Bryston system to a much higher level.Kudos to you for pushing for this player against the wishes of others.  Again, thank-you for being, Bryston.   .......Same here . After  the past year with the BCD3 I find amazing new life in my cd collection...so glad  Bryston decided to  remake  a redbook player of this caliber...rmurray.. :thumb:         Cheers, Keith

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #36 on: 26 Dec 2018, 04:04 pm »
I ordered my BCD-3 last January and took delivery in February. It's been in constant use since, spinning RedBook classicals. The improvement over the previous Sony and Cambridge spinners is clearly noticeable.

I was using a Bryston BP6 preamp until breaking in a BP17c in late October - - a further increase in musicality in the mid and lower bass and in the soprano's top notes. 

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood: " They'll have to pry this BCD-3 spinner out of my dead hands!"

Thanks to the Bryston guys who saw the need for such a CD spinner - - and then delivered this superb CD-3 !

redbook

« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2018, 06:01 pm »
I ordered my BCD-3 last January and took delivery in February. It's been in constant use since, spinning RedBook classicals. The improvement over the previous Sony and Cambridge spinners is clearly noticeable.

I was using a Bryston BP6 preamp until breaking in a BP17c in late October - - a further increase in musicality in the mid and lower bass and in the soprano's top notes. ...... 

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood: " They'll have to pry this BCD-3 spinner out of my dead hands!"

Thanks to the Bryston guys who saw the need for such a CD spinner - - and then delivered this superb CD-3 !
.......exactly .. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: