The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak

BudP

Re: The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:02 am »
In a bit of a hurry right now but here goes.

Mike B, Yes, but you need to plan on all of the drivers, including tweeter, unless it is a RAAL or an 80's Panasonic true Ribbon. The mid woofers will easily keep up with these drivers once EnABL'd

Jim D, Sometime in the first quarter of next year we will make the speaker cables available. We are currently working on a sleeve that is something other than natural or bleached white, just to get the WAF up and to keep you from noticing that these things don't fall into line with the current fad of anaconda snakes. They are also impervious to all floor materials and power cords, but will accept an external signal when draped across the core of a power transformer. I know you all like to do this...... Interconnects have zero shielding, but have the same external immunity as the speaker cables.

Wind Cheater, Rules for true  Litz are, 10 times or more of surface area, in comparison to an equal metal cross section of a solid piece of wire.  Also must have either type one or type two multiple twist braiding.  The third Litz law is to have an RAC that is less than a .01% more than the RDC per foot, at 3 times the highest frequency of interest. Not a hard and fast rule and more useful in RF than in audio, but you are still looking for that equivalence to a single crystal of metal, with length being of little or no issue to the signal. So many "Litz wires" from that period did not meet these limits, some exceeded them to no great purpose.

For purposes of cables it is actually better to have each wire coated with a dielectric, rather than a bulk covering and for silver the less the better for most dielectric materials. In addition, silver is really tough to deal with sonically. It has a faster transient response and more upper mid range support than copper, even the 5+ nines copper we use in our Litz. So care must be used with that metal and I don't recommend it for general usage, just to hard to control.

Bud

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:26 am »
Where is the post on the speaker cables?

BudP

« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2010, 07:20 am »
Where is the post on the speaker cables?

Dunno, don't want to know, those things are just pure poison.

Bud

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #63 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:30 am »
Bud,
I have a pair of near field studio monitors (Klein + Hummel 0300s) which are internally tri-amplified. Would this tweak have less effect when the speaker wires are as short as they are likely to be in this instance?
In a similar vein, would it have effect at microphone levels?

thanks, Russell

Wind Chaser

« Reply #64 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:50 pm »
By golly... they really work.  Using two 20" single strands of CMP CAT 5e, I twisted them into loops as per the first post.  To be honest I wasn't expecting much, but the difference on my system is considerable.   

I’m going to investigate this further with different lengths and types of wire.  The combinations are really endless.  And this is such a simple, quick and easy tweak to do.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:55 pm »
By golly... they really work.  Using two 20" single strands of CMP CAT 5e, I twisted them into loops as per the first post. 

Pics?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #66 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:33 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:46 pm »
Thanks.

So you use one twisted pair from a Cat 5e cable...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #68 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:24 pm »
Exactly, one twisted pair makes two GEs.  Keep in mind this is CMP... not CMG or CMR.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:39 pm »
Looks like the solid core copper wire version.

The CMP CAT5e plenum wiring can come in different insulation materials for the conductors.  Do you know what type you have, FEP, PTFE, etc?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:44 pm »

The CMP CAT5e plenum wiring can come in different insulation materials for the conductors.  Do you know what type you have, FEP, PTFE, etc?

What do we have?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #71 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:54 pm »
24awg solid core, FEP insulation.   :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #72 on: 21 Nov 2010, 05:53 pm »

J MPP

This is one seriously very impressive tweak.  I'm flat out astonished - they certainly work well in my system.

Mike B.

« Reply #73 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:04 pm »
You really need to follow Bud's recipe and see how good it can get. Small gauge litz wire with very little added dielectric.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #74 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:59 pm »
J MPP

This is one seriously very impressive tweak.  I'm flat out astonished - they certainly work well in my system.

When I checked MPP CAT5e Plenum cable, most are 24awg solid core, the insulation is FEP, same as what we have! :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #75 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:29 pm »
The stuff I'm using is just a matter of what I happen to have on hand.  As you can see in the above picture, they are open loops.  My first thought was I hope they don't pick up RF and act like an antenna.  At some point I'll try different lengths, twisted and non twisted, multiple strands and different types of wire.  The possibilities are.... endless.

There's nothing subtle about what this tweak does, at least in my system. The difference these little wires make is night and day!  Hands down, bar none the best tweak I have ever tried. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #76 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:48 pm »
There's nothing subtle about what this tweak does, at least in my system. The difference these little wires make is night and day!  Hands down, bar none the best tweak I have ever tried. :thumb:

And that's not based on a cost to performance ratio either.  If these little wires were concealed in an 'air tight' box and someone made some BS claim like - they contain a top secret military compound, I would have believed him. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:49 pm »
One just needs to be certain that they use the white / orange for the very best sound.   :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #78 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm »
According to one cable manufacturer, red is the best color.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm »
According to one cable manufacturer, red is the best color.

Oh, so you're giving up a little performance...

Who is that btw?