BDA-3 DAC

R. Daneel

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #60 on: 5 Dec 2015, 10:53 am »
Good to see positive feedback on the BDA-3. However having just placed an order for the BDA-2 a few weeks ago based on previous comments regarding the performance of the BDA-2 & BDA-3 being at par I cant help feeling a bit dissapointed about my decision. I probably should have waited to see comparisons of the production BDA-3 with the BDA-2.

Hi!

The most exciting thing about Bryston convertors is the fact it uses a completely discrete analogue stage running in class A. Also unusually, it has a discrete input preaplifier before D/A which is also running in class A. But the basic design is excellent with separate power supplies and ground lanes for digital and analogue sections and independent regulation on all critical circuits. This supports the mentioned discrete circuits even further.

All of this is available on all 3 Bryston convertors. The differences between BDA-1 and BDA-2 were slight to say the least. BDA-3 uses differents convertor chips again but they are a lot more similar to the ones in BDA-2. I'd be surprised if the difference between the two was of any significance.

Unless you need DSD and HDMI of course.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 5 Dec 2015, 11:00 am »
That's very interesting. Most DSD DACs require either DoP or the native DSD bitstream, it's very rare in my experience to have a DAC that supports both!  :thumb:

Hi Bill

Recognize too that DOP is still a DSD file and is NOT being converted to PCM.  PCM is just the container to deliver the DSD file.

There are a lot of people that feel Native file playback is not required given DSD DOP while others feel Native files sound better.

James

audio.bill

« Reply #62 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:31 pm »
James, thanks for the response. I understand the DoP is still delivering the actual DSD data but in PCM frames, and have gotten into the debate elsewhere with some who mistakenly believe that DoP is no longer 'true' DSD. Once it is unpacked from the PCM container the resulting DSD data is identical to the original native DSD bitstream. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the DSD playback performance with the BDA-3 using DoP compared to the native files, but would understand if that's a debate you'd rather avoid! When using a media player like JRiver, you can easily output DSD in either DoP or bitstream format with a simple settings change.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 5 Dec 2015, 03:10 pm »
James, thanks for the response. I understand the DoP is still delivering the actual DSD data but in PCM frames, and have gotten into the debate elsewhere with some who mistakenly believe that DoP is no longer 'true' DSD. Once it is unpacked from the PCM container the resulting DSD data is identical to the original native DSD bitstream. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the DSD playback performance with the BDA-3 using DoP compared to the native files, but would understand if that's a debate you'd rather avoid! When using a media player like JRiver, you can easily output DSD in either DoP or bitstream format with a simple settings change.

Hi

Yes I have been playing with JRiver and the BDA3 listening to DOP and Native - going to run some blind tests.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 12 Dec 2015, 08:42 pm »
Hi James

I demoed the BDA-3 with the BDP-2, connected to Kurt’s SP-3, and 4B,

I didn’t think any of us would hear the difference between the SP-3 connection internal D/AC and the optional exteranl  BDA-3, but wholly shit, it was immediately apparent, even with the delay in rewiring.

Kurt is the one who blurted out that he heard the difference in the bass, deeper & more powerful, plus on the highs , plus a wider sound stage!

His response this morning after the demo yesterday.

Wayne.
Audtek Sales

Wayne.. That was a really great demo. Fantastic (Bryston) products for sure.

Can you give me prices for both a BDP-2 Digital Player and BDA3 DAC Silver 19" rack or shelf mount, for our demo rack?

Need to be able to do A/B for clients to review. That's the only way to sell them.

Thanks!
Kurt Schlossberg

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #65 on: 12 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm »
James,

Is there any chance the SP3 might see a DAC-type update, similar to the IAD card for the BDP-2?

- Garrett

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 12 Dec 2015, 11:48 pm »
James,

Is there any chance the SP3 might see a DAC-type update, similar to the IAD card for the BDP-2?

- Garrett

Hi

No really not possible as the sound circuit is an integrated part of the digital surround board on the SP3.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 13 Dec 2015, 04:43 pm »
Hi James

For those of us in the audio biz, it’s always a balance between marketing and reality.

When your guy came to my office to demo the BDP player and new BDA-3 DAC, I asked him to A/B the signal with my current reference system.

Quite an apparent difference, even with a minute or so between swapping the cables. Now my set up is way more extreme than most people, even in that rarified air. As I have a Balance Audio Tech amp, and  a pair of Avante Gardes.

But what a pleasant surprise. A bit of an eye opener as I have been listening pretty consistently through my current system and that has been very reference grade to my ears.

Didn’t know there was anywhere to go that was further!

Hope you are well, and happy holidays

Kurt

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:57 pm »
HI James

Been slammed with business; so this was the first chance I had to listen to my new BDA-3.

A marked improvement over the BDA-2, I mean really noticeable. I put it temporarily in my all Esoteric rig, feeding it from an Olive 04 since it was near by.

The sound itself is much more analog, and flows effortlessly. I also note a broader soundstage. Combined with all the inputs, and super high reliability.

Bryston has hit it out of the park... again!

bjski

« Reply #69 on: 16 Dec 2015, 04:55 pm »
Couldn't agree more!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 18 Dec 2015, 07:57 pm »
Hi James,

I just received the Bryston BDA3 DAC. It is doing well for USB from my few hours of listing, I think my waiting for almost a year has paid-off.

I can listen to SACD from my blu ray transport and BDA3.

The sound is superb!

Well done Bryston Team!

Warmest regards,
Warut
Austria

doveman

« Reply #71 on: 20 Dec 2015, 06:00 am »
Nice to see a silver one, looks fantastic.

Yitshak

« Reply #72 on: 22 Dec 2015, 06:24 pm »
Finely :)

first post over here so hi to James and everyone.

Last week I put order to compleat my second setup with Bryston gear.
Among the ordered items a BDA-3 is included :)

As I run a BDA-2 in the main setup for more then a year...yap I'm running it without
Up sampling option turn out I like it more as it was recorded in native.

But for some moments here and there I had the option to turn on the upsampling
On the BDA-2.

My source is MAC With solid state hard disc.

But in the second setup it will be Windows base.

A question to James: is this option of upsampling on choice still available to us via USB connection or via the download Windows Bryston driver,or for the BDA-3 it is only native?

Reason for asking is that I saw on the new BDA-3 Manuel is that upsampling can't be engage for USB or HDMI
But maybe I misunderstood it correctly?

It's not such a big loss the way I enjoy the BDA-2 day to day without it but I do wanted to know .

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 22 Dec 2015, 06:35 pm »
Finely :)

first post over here so hi to James and everyone.

Last week I put order to compleat my second setup with Bryston gear.
Among the ordered items a BDA-3 is included :)

As I run a BDA-2 in the main setup for more then a year...yap I'm running it without
Up sampling option turn out I like it more as it was recorded in native.

But for some moments here and there I had the option to turn on the upsampling
On the BDA-2.

My source is MAC With solid state hard disc.

But in the second setup it will be Windows base.

A question to James: is this option of upsampling on choice still available to us via USB connection or via the download Windows Bryston driver,or for the BDA-3 it is only native?

Reason for asking is that I saw on the new BDA-3 Manuel is that upsampling can't be engage for USB or HDMI
But maybe I misunderstood it correctly?

It's not such a big loss the way I enjoy the BDA-2 day to day without it but I do wanted to know .

Thanks

Hi

Welcome!

Correct you can not use upsampling with the USB or the HDMI as the signal does not go through a sample rate converter with those inputs.

james

DarqueKnight

« Reply #74 on: 22 Dec 2015, 07:46 pm »
Hi

I really have not had time to discuss in detail with the designer but as I have been playing around with DSD files (uses USB circuit) I was surprised at how close USB  sounded when playing PCM files compared to the AES  in the BDA3 whereas before I always felt I preferred AES over USB in the BDA-2.

james

James,

Can the BDA-3 accept DoP from a BDP-2's IAD's SPDIF and AES outputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 22 Dec 2015, 07:51 pm »
James,

NO just HDMI and USB.

james

Yitshak

« Reply #76 on: 22 Dec 2015, 08:13 pm »
Hi

Welcome!

Correct you can not use upsampling with the USB or the HDMI as the signal does not go through a sample rate converter with those inputs.

james

Thanks.

IMHO the BDA-2 is unmatched and produced the most analog like sound yet I have heard
From digital source.
So it's obvious up hill with the BDA-3.

Looking forward for it.

DarqueKnight

« Reply #77 on: 24 Dec 2015, 09:11 pm »
James,

NO just HDMI and USB.

james

I don't understand why Bryston would offer DoP output via SPDIF and AES on the BDP-2 and not offer DoP input via SPDIF and AES on the new BDA-3. Is it possible that this feature would be offered in near future?

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #78 on: 24 Dec 2015, 09:23 pm »
I don't understand why Bryston would offer DoP output via SPDIF and AES on the BDP-2 and not offer DoP input via SPDIF and AES on the new BDA-3. Is it possible that this feature would be offered in near future?

Exactly how many DACs decode DSD on anything but the USB input?

DarqueKnight

« Reply #79 on: 24 Dec 2015, 09:35 pm »
Exactly how many DACs decode DSD on anything but the USB input?

44, according to the list posted here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

What other manufacturer's are offering is beside the point. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that a manufacturer's top of the line DAC would be able to make full use of all the output capabilities of their top of the line digital player.

Regardless, I have ordered a BDA-3 and it will be paired with my 2nd IAD-upgraded BDP-2.