Need help, again....OppO BDP 105 Analog outputs and HDMI????

Bear

Ok so I just picked up an OPPO BDP-105d to replace my BDP-83.  I am trying to run my cable box via HDMI to my Sony STR DA5300ES Reciever to 105d with HDMI output 1 to TV to  105d analog(5.1) outputs back to Sony analog multi-channel inputs output through Sony pre-outs to powered speakers.

Problem:  no output from analog outs when using HDMI input signal.  I can confirm I get sound from 105d analog outputs into Sony multi-channel inputs and output via Sony pre-outs to powered speakers while playing an SACD.

I currently have the center channel of the 105d analog outputs connected directly to powered speaker and no sound using 105d HDMI back input from Sony HDMI output.

Is this configuration possible?  It seems as though the 105d has no analog output via HDMI input?  I Have HDMI audio in 105d set to Auto per this:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/customer-services/troubleshooting/no-audio-through-analogue-output.aspx

What am I missing?  Faulty unit?

Thank You,
Shane

PS.  I have peckerd with this for a couple hours.  Convinced I am missing a simple setting, which I hope to be the case though it would be immensely embarrassing I would find a magnitude more satisfaction to have this properly working.

Phil A

Does this help - it is for the 103 or 105

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

ebag4

I am using the analog outs of my 103 from a HDMI input.  I don't recall doing anything special to make it work other than go into the audio settings and setting it up for 5.1 speakers.  I "believe" the SACD works because the internal settings of the OPPO do not impact SACD unless you set it up as a PCM output.

Phil A

I have two 103Ds (in separate systems) and did nothing special to either and have analog outs hooked up.  I use them more for video but in one system I have a hard drive attached with various files including DSD.

Phil A

Page 16 of the 103D manual has a section on "Alternate Audio Connections" and just indicates to hook up the analog outs

Phil A

Further back in the manual is a section "Recommended Audio Format Options"

Bear

Thanks guys,

Yeah Phil, I been backwards and forwards through the users manual, as well as coming up with the site you linked to.  Im going mad... :scratch: :D

I can find anything special about making it work....but I can't get it to work.  I would call it a faulty unit, however I get sound playing an sacd or a blu-ray audio disk.   Im going to test my Sony receiver multi-inputs while playing hdmi video and see if hdmi shuts off multi-channel input to eliminate or verify as an issue.

ebag4

If you haven't already, you might try the front HDMI input to see if it acts the same. 

Bear

Ok HDMI selection on Sony AVR is not the issue, I have my iphone hooked up to multichannel in and playing while displaying hdmi video out from Sony AVR(sourced from cable box via HDMI) to OPPO 105 input to BACK HDMI and out to TV via HDMI 1 output(oppo in A/V sync mode).  Either I am missing a simple setting which I can not find or the HDMI input Audio is mot making it to analog output.....Just thought to check front input.   BRB

Bear

If you haven't already, you might try the front HDMI input to see if it acts the same.

Great idea!!! I posted just after you :thumb:

Bear

Re: Need help, again....OppO BDP 105 Analog outputs and HDMI????
« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2015, 04:51 pm »

Yep, acts exactly the same.  I can select HDMI on Sony AVR and get sound, select "Multi Channel IN" and nothing.  Hell for a second when I connected my Iphone to multi-channel in I was getting HDMI input sound multi-channel input sound.

Im confident it is not an issue with the Sony AVR hdmi input/output/multi-input/pre-output switching etc....must be the Oppo HDMI to Analog output somehow.  Seems like a setting or firmware related issue with it being both inputs though.  ARGH! :banghead:

This was supposed to be a quick component swap and then re-configure and refine my remote. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  Now im f%##!N@ P#**3D!! :lol:

ebag4

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:00 pm »
Looking at the way you are setting it up (per your initial post) it seems to me you may have an extra connection???  Why not have the cable box HDMI out go to the Oppo>Oppo HDMI Out to Sony HDMI Input and Multichannel Inputs then feed the Sony HDMI out to the TV?  I may be missing something but this would appear to be more straightforward.

Nevermind, I see you are wanting all video to be processed by the Oppo.

Bear

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:04 pm »
Looking at the way you are setting it up (per your initial post) it seems to me you may have an extra connection???  Why not have the cable box HDMI out go to the Oppo>Oppo HDMI Out to Sony HDMI Input and Multichannel Inputs then feed the Sony HDMI out to the TV?  I may be missing something but this would appear to be more straightforward.

Nevermind, I see you are wanting all video to be processed by the Oppo.

:thumb: You are correct Sir!  I will also connect a pc/server via usb if I ever get past this.  I think Im going to have to exchange this one.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:11 pm »
Might you need to set the video function in the Sony to pass-through? I think you're double processing the video signal. :scratch:

Bear

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:20 pm »
Might you need to set the video function in the Sony to pass-through? I think you're double processing the video signal. :scratch:

Perhaps this is stripping the audio signal as well?  Ok, let me connect cable box direct to Oppo, I initially had it connected this way but did not have the analog outputs connected.  Will report back.

Bear

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:33 pm »
Ok,  passing the hdmi cable an extra trace seems to be the issue.  I was hoping to use my sony receiver as an HDMI switch/pre-amp(for now) and pass all the signals through to the oppo.  Now to find out if Sony STR DA5300es has pass through?

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:46 pm »
Yes. I think this double-up on HDMI processing is the issue. It's likely part of the HDMI security protocol (for both HD audio and video). HDMI is intended to go from A to B, or A to B to C, not A to AA to B To C.
If you're getting audio, it is likely down mixed 24/96 resolution passing through, not full resolution.

Yes. Look into your Sony manual. I'm sure there's a pass-through function. This will keep the signal an "A" as received by the Oppo (converted to B), then output to C (TV & Sony analog input).

Bear

« Reply #17 on: 8 Mar 2015, 06:17 pm »
yep, sadly, I initially considered this, albeit briefly.  Staying true to my inner dunce, I quickly dismissed it as video was performing flawlessly and appeared quite good.  Once again, I am the source of my own frustration. :duh:

Thanks to all for the help! :thumb:

Now, on to my next self inflicted "source"(if your gonna publicly humiliate oneself, why not further the damage with a few bad puns?) of torture.

Cheers

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 8 Mar 2015, 08:40 pm »
I have my units just using HDMI one to the receiver (and then to the display) and in the main system I have the analog outs to the preamp (I have an integrated system but use file playback so it is just there if someone comes over).  In the secondary system I have the analog outs going to a preamp too (it too is an integrated system - both have preamps with HT Bypass) and I do use those analog outs for me on occasion to playback a file or listen to a disc so I don't have to drag the signal through the receiver.  The Oppo Media Control App works nicely too.

Bear

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2015, 09:50 pm »
It doesn't appear that my AVR has a HDMI pass thru mode, which is preventing me from setting everything up as I originally intended.  I want all audio and video to be passed thru the oppo while I use the pre-amp section of the Sony AVR and take advantage of the 6 HDMI inputs.  The sound on this Ol' Sony's analog pre-amp section is not terrible, but I much prefer to have as much audio and video processing done by the BDP105 as possible.

I may have to get a quality HDMI switcher.