Re: Why point to point wiring is #1 with tube amps
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2011, 07:36 pm »
Mr.Hyodo agrees with you:

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2011, 08:59 pm »
You'll notice on the above photo that the power tube sockets are not mounted to the PC board. This is a huge step in the right direction. That's why I like the ST-70's approach and similar setups.

Look again...

IMO, the ST-70 is way over-rated for its sonics. They are certainly plentiful. There are many examples of excellent tube amplifier designs using PCB as well as PTP techniques. Plenty of horror stories of both as well.
-Bill

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #22 on: 2 Oct 2011, 04:40 pm »
Everything has its ups & downs. I had an ST-70 once and thought the transformers were pretty good and loved the layout in regards to an easy to make kit.

The sound? The originals are not terribly good at resolving high detail, yet had a nice balanced tone. I have no clue what the born-again ST-70's are like and imagine some improvements have been made.

My style of point to point wiring is 100% early American and reflects what can be seen in an early Scott, Fisher, Baldwin, Conn, Thomas or Stromberg Carlson amplifier.

My wiring reflects their early work, but it's not a carbon copy. They had a tendency to wrap wires around posts so they couldn't be unwrapped without breaking the post off. I make it so repairs and upgrades do not requite the destruction of posts or nearby components.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #23 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:26 pm »
Repaired board:

Circuit board (Audio/VOX/Key up) control to a 1979 Kenwood TS-180S. I had to partially rebuild this board because someone with no soldering/repair skills attempted a repair. The result was torn traces and a manual keyup toggle on the side of the transceiver.  :?

There are components & wire bridges on this side due to factory revisions. The board as shown is now completely within factory specifications. You can still see an overheated trace from when the relay control transistor originally shorted out. The glaze was burned off, yet the trace survived and remained glued down.

This is a demonstration of a badly damaged board and how it should look after a good repair has been made. I have worked on worse (burned through boards) and revived them.

The moral is: Badly damaged boards can be repaired, BUT they will never be like new again physically. There is always a BIG scar.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:28 pm »
Totally OT but...

Are you in your mid 30's?  I was browsing something and saw a picture of you and was surprised.  That's all. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #25 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:40 pm »
I am 38, soon to be 39 in January. How time flies!

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 4 Nov 2011, 10:52 am »
I am 38, soon to be 39 in January. How time flies!
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
I am 63, soon to be 64 in February
(The day before St-Valentine).
Time flies like a speeding bullet...
Soon I will be 100 years old and I wont have done half of what I want to do.
Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:00 pm »
I wonder if time really exists as a force of nature, or is it just an illusion in the minds of living beings, due to aging. :scratch: