BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

drummermitchell

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #60 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:53 pm »
Using an ADC converter(Benchmark).

srb

« Reply #61 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:06 pm »
Using an ADC converter(Benchmark).

Then I think it would be a matter of software and whether Bryston felt the added feature could result in any added sales, but I'm guessing the number of vinyl people who have either a separate ADC or a phonostage with built-in ADC is fairly small.

Then the features often wanted for vinyl transfer such as noise/click/pop removal, track separation, etc. are probably better addressed by a computer and full-featured software such as Pure Vinyl.

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:22 pm »
Hi Chris, James

before you start grin too loudly, what would the BOT1 do or do better that the HDX can not do? http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/hdx

I must confess I fear a Bryston digital system, that in itself is really wonderful, but in fact lags quite a bit behind the Naims in this world in terms of sophisticated design (check/compare the display for starters), userfriendliness (check their App) and overall specs and functionality.

A Bot that only rips and plays from memory hardly answers to market demand I would guess?
Building a whole new system around playing CD's seems a bit awkward, since we already can rip them from our seats or desks (instead of having to walkover to the stereo...) and build lists and the lot. And, as you stated before repeatedly, the CD's end is nigh. The very reason Bryston stopped manufacturing the BCD1  :scratch: :scratch:

What else is up your sleeve. There must be?

Marius

Your judging a book by its cover Marius

Marius

« Reply #63 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:39 pm »
Nope.
Im not judging. Im asking.
About the contents of the book.

Marius

Your judging a book by its cover Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #64 on: 16 Mar 2013, 06:12 pm »
Nope.
Im not judging. Im asking.
About the contents of the book.

Marius

I read it for the articles  :lol:

james

zolta

« Reply #65 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:45 pm »
Hi Chris, James

before you start grin too loudly, what would the BOT1 do or do better that the HDX can not do? http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/hdx

Marius

A major difference between the Bryston gear and the Naim products is Naim are all-in-one.  I prefer a digital player where I can choose a different DAC.  With Bryston you are not locked into a device where the technology is forever changing, as we see with DAC's

keet360

« Reply #66 on: 18 Mar 2013, 04:05 am »
If there was an option for this to be a transport for the BDA instead of just the BDP, I would be very interested.

BrysTony

« Reply #67 on: 18 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm »
If there was an option for this to be a transport for the BDA instead of just the BDP, I would be very interested.

+1

Tony

skunark

« Reply #68 on: 18 Mar 2013, 05:51 pm »
A major difference between the Bryston gear and the Naim products is Naim are all-in-one.  I prefer a digital player where I can choose a different DAC.  With Bryston you are not locked into a device where the technology is forever changing, as we see with DAC's
Naim does offer hardware upgrades on their internal DACs for those "all-in-one"....  Very few manufactures actually offer upgrades like that.    Also they do sell other items besides their "all-in-one" products.     Also, you can still get an FM Tuner and actual CD drive in those little beasts.  Perfect for an office, bedroom or an uncluttered room. 

+1 as well

I can get behind a hdd enclosure for the BDP long before i can get behind a usb cd-rom drive.   If the CD Transport and HDD enclosure were available today, I would have both.   (and a naim all-in-one for the office :) )

Alpha10

« Reply #69 on: 18 Mar 2013, 06:46 pm »

I can get behind a hdd enclosure for the BDP long before i can get behind a usb cd-rom drive.   If the CD Transport and HDD enclosure were available today, I would have both. 

+1

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #70 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:55 pm »
The bot also contains space for two 3.5" hard drives locate opposite of the toroidal transformer.

Cheers
Chris

Alpha10

« Reply #71 on: 18 Mar 2013, 08:02 pm »
The bot also contains space for two 3.5" hard drives locate opposite of the toroidal transformer.

Cheers
Chris

Cheers I appreciate that. But, if you have a BDP1 like me, one of the early adopters, you can't really use the optical part of the BOT, all you need is a drive enclosure, to make use of the optical drive you would need to upgrade to a BDP2, which already has an internal drive so you might not need the BOT as an enclosure. So doesn't really make sense, to me. I would love to support this product as it is part of what I want, the drive enclosure, but falls short of working with my player and is not the full Bluray player which would make my Bryston experience complete.

Cheers

RonCH

« Reply #72 on: 18 Mar 2013, 09:48 pm »
I like the BOT, and I will be be buying one.  I like how Bryston is leveraging the power of the BDP-2 for the BOT and that you can control the CD player from a Web Application.  I'm hoping that we'll be able to control more Bryston products in the future via the BDP-2 ( like pre-amps and the SP3 ).  I think the BOT is a clever way to provide a CD player at its price point. 

Anyway I'm in:  I'm going to buy a BDP-2 and a BOT in the near future.

skunark

« Reply #73 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:17 pm »

Cheers
Chris

I believe the quoted reason to drop the HDD enclosure was because of price..  I'm not really sure I understand how that doesn't apply here, not that I need to know...   

What about these options for the BOT-1:
* adapter to stack 2 SSDs or 2 mobile hdds...
* raid 5:  it would be better to make room for 3 hdd so you can enable raid5, otherwise if you can stack the 2.5" and 1.8" drives
* BTRFS filesystem:  The added checksum features would be great to have if you are ripping your CDs and using the BDP as your primary storage.
* Offsite storage?   Seems like crashplan or some other solution that supports linux would be good idea if you are ripping CDs.

Sadly the norm these days for new artists is to release records and digital downloads, and it's rare to purchase the CD.    SACD/DSD, DVD Audio, and blu-ray discs have always been rare and have always enjoyed them for the artists I like, but I really never make a point to select that format.  I do also have my slow but trusty oppo bdp-95 for for the odd formats.

Jim

skunark

« Reply #74 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm »
I like the BOT, and I will be be buying one.  I like how Bryston is leveraging the power of the BDP-2 for the BOT and that you can control the CD player from a Web Application.  I'm hoping that we'll be able to control more Bryston products in the future via the BDP-2 ( like pre-amps and the SP3 ).  I think the BOT is a clever way to provide a CD player at its price point. 

Anyway I'm in:  I'm going to buy a BDP-2 and a BOT in the near future.

If you do like that integration.. i was floored for what Naim offered..  you can power on/off, volume, control radio, cd-player, internet radio and upnp audio all from a single application.   Even has an app to help integrate your music to the player.       A sore point with me is the lack of consistent 12v trigger connectors and the fact that the BDP and BDA uses the same on/off remote code.      Only if i could have the BDP-1 and 2B SST2 in the naim all-in-one...

drummermitchell

« Reply #75 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm »
To much integration for me,separates I like.
I think Naim forgot the cassette deck in there with everything else.
Some like all in one which is fine,depends what you want I suppose as we all like different things.

steve in jersey

« Reply #76 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm »
Like a few others participating in this thread I've also stopped listening to the actual CDs in favor of listening to the "ripped" files off of  my drives. I however would be very interested in having a "dedicated" audio grade component take over this ripping task from  non- "single task" dedicated, multiple function, multiple setting pieces of equipment.

I believe one of the reasons people are resisting making the switch to "discless" audio is they've had mixed results as far as the quality of playback they've experienced compared to the better traditional playback they've heard. If there are any "Truths" to Computer Audio, one is "Everything is significant".

Given the choice of having the guess work taken out of achieving near perfectionist results, on a consistent basis, or "I enjoy the challenge of making exceptional rips, every time". Guess which choice an "Audiophile"(not a Computer/Audio Enthusiast) would pick.

The somewhat amazing thing is the outstanding results that many of us non Tech/Engineer background types have accomplished. It's time for those in the Audio Industry to step up "Their Game". I'd much rather spend more time as an "Audiophile"

I for 1 think that the BOT-1 has a very exciting potential

mkaiser

« Reply #77 on: 19 Mar 2013, 02:22 am »
Hi Chris,
With the unit containing a Blu-Ray DVD drive is it possible to have it transport DVD and Blu-Ray video to a pre/pro or receiver that can do all the video processing. The thought of a drive also doing video transport would make for a full audio/video unit and keeps Bryston out of the whole video processing and all the headaches and changes in technology that comes with video.
I guess what i am saying is think of a Oppo player minus all the onboard video processing and internal DAC's and just sending it to a receiver or pre/pro to handle all that.  :scratch:

Mark

Marius

« Reply #78 on: 19 Mar 2013, 08:27 am »
Hi Steve,

I second your thought, and would like to add that another main reason for some hesitation on my part with the BOT in this separate-from-the-BDP-box design, is that the ripping process is prone to numerous errors in the tag-part. To me it seems that the industry-ad's and manufactors that promise this simple and successful ripping process live in a non existent world. Almost every single (classical) cd I rip has to be completely manually edited, because of the errors in the Internet Databases or the complete unavailability. And Im not even talking about the multi-disk spanning recordings. Or the language-issues these databases result in most of the time. (always in English while the bigger part of the library has another mother-tongue). Or Album Art!

Having a BOT won't resolve that I suspect, so I would end up having to edit these automated rips behind my Macbook after all. Reducing the advertised advantage of the BOT to being a memory reading transport, which the BDP already is with the rips that succeeded up to know... Only difference is we now have to wait for the cd to start playing, and up to 2-3 minutes for the last track?,  instead of the direct acces the old BCD gave us. (still gives in my case :thumb:)

Or am I missing something? (wouldn't want to judge ) Make it into a BAM-1, and I'd start saving up...

Cheers,
Marius

Like a few others participating in this thread I've also stopped listening to the actual CDs in favor of listening to the "ripped" files off of  my drives. I however would be very interested in having a "dedicated" audio grade component take over this ripping task from  non- "single task" dedicated, multiple function, multiple setting pieces of equipment.

I believe one of the reasons people are resisting making the switch to "discless" audio is they've had mixed results as far as the quality of playback they've experienced compared to the better traditional playback they've heard. If there are any "Truths" to Computer Audio, one is "Everything is significant".

Given the choice of having the guess work taken out of achieving near perfectionist results, on a consistent basis, or "I enjoy the challenge of making exceptional rips, every time". Guess which choice an "Audiophile"(not a Computer/Audio Enthusiast) would pick.

The somewhat amazing thing is the outstanding results that many of us non Tech/Engineer background types have accomplished. It's time for those in the Audio Industry to step up "Their Game". I'd much rather spend more time as an "Audiophile"

I for 1 think that the BOT-1 has a very exciting potential

RonCH

« Reply #79 on: 19 Mar 2013, 09:15 am »
If you do like that integration.. i was floored for what Naim offered..  you can power on/off, volume, control radio, cd-player, internet radio and upnp audio all from a single application.   Even has an app to help integrate your music to the player.       A sore point with me is the lack of consistent 12v trigger connectors and the fact that the BDP and BDA uses the same on/off remote code.      Only if i could have the BDP-1 and 2B SST2 in the naim all-in-one...

I too find the Naim software really slick. 

Really!?!  The BDP and BDA use the same on/off remote code!  That's pretty annoying.

What do you mean by: the lack of consistent 12v trigger connectors ?