BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

R. Daneel

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #140 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:16 pm »
Hi Antun

I hope to show the finished version at the Toronto Audio Show in November.

James

Hi James!

Excellent! So it's a definitive go for the BOT-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:48 pm »
Hi James!

Excellent! So it's a definitive go for the BOT-1?

Yes baring the unforeseen

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #142 on: 24 Aug 2013, 04:19 pm »
Yes baring the unforeseen

James

That's exciting news!

The day it becomes available will be the day when all my other transports will go to their well deserved retirement. I shall not be needing anything else.

Cheers!
Antun

Karhu

« Reply #143 on: 29 Aug 2013, 07:58 pm »
James,

Great news that the BOT-1 is going into production.  :D
Do you have any idea as to the time frame for supply to the UK.

Will it be available with switchable led colour like the BDP-2?

Cheers,
K

Alpha10

« Reply #144 on: 30 Aug 2013, 10:13 am »
Hi James, now that the BOT is getting close to final design and seeing the light of day. Are you going to be able to share with us soon capabilities (plus roadmap ambitions..) with both the BDP1 and BDP2?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 30 Aug 2013, 10:51 am »
Hi James, now that the BOT is getting close to final design and seeing the light of day. Are you going to be able to share with us soon capabilities (plus roadmap ambitions..) with both the BDP1 and BDP2?

Cheers

Hi Alpha

Sorry how do you mean 'roadmap' - we are not planning any changes on the two models other than software of course.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #146 on: 30 Aug 2013, 11:27 am »
Hi Alpha

Sorry how do you mean 'roadmap' - we are not planning any changes on the two models other than software of course.

james

Hi James, I meant roadmap for the BOT. You and Chris had hinted that there would be more to come, evolutions. There was also some discussion around the different capabilites being available depending on whether you had either a bdp1 or a bdp2. I was just trying to find out what functionality the BOT is bringing us.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #147 on: 30 Aug 2013, 02:19 pm »
Hi James, I meant roadmap for the BOT. You and Chris had hinted that there would be more to come, evolutions. There was also some discussion around the different capabilites being available depending on whether you had either a bdp1 or a bdp2. I was just trying to find out what functionality the BOT is bringing us.

Cheers

Oh sorry misread that Alpha - the idea with the BOT is just a dedicated drive that would connect to the esata connection on the BDP-2 and allow you to listen to a CD through the memory of the BDP-2 or rip the CD to an attached drive or NAS connected to the BDP-2.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #148 on: 30 Aug 2013, 03:13 pm »
Hi James!

Is there any particular reason why eSata was chosen instead of USB? The eSata basically has Sata read/write speeds so it should be faster than USB but even so, the USB would have been quite enough. Are there other reasons for using eSata?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 30 Aug 2013, 04:32 pm »
Hi James!

Is there any particular reason why eSata was chosen instead of USB? The eSata basically has Sata read/write speeds so it should be faster than USB but even so, the USB would have been quite enough. Are there other reasons for using eSata?

Cheers!
Antun

There are but I will let Chris answer that one.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #150 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:11 pm »
Oh sorry misread that Alpha - the idea with the BOT is just a dedicated drive that would connect to the esata connection on the BDP-2 and allow you to listen to a CD through the memory of the BDP-2 or rip the CD to an attached drive or NAS connected to the BDP-2.

james

I take it there is no support for the BDP-1 then, from the above?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #151 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:15 pm »
I take it there is no support for the BDP-1 then, from the above?

Cheers

HI

I know Chris is still looking at that but I think the lack of processing power is the issue if you want to add the BOT.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #152 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:57 pm »
There are but I will let Chris answer that one.

james

I would appreciate that, thank you!

Cheers!
Antun

Alpha10

« Reply #153 on: 30 Aug 2013, 08:02 pm »
HI

I know Chris is still looking at that but I think the lack of processing power is the issue if you want to add the BOT.

james

Damn, I thought that might be the case. I bought too early, never mind.

Cheers

Karhu

« Reply #154 on: 30 Aug 2013, 09:16 pm »
James/Chris,

I have an SSD drive connected to the internal sata cable; can I still connect the BOT-1 to the external e-sata?

Have you done any testing with SHM-CD's with the BOT-1, if so, have you noticed if the SQ increase is evident in the ripped file as played by the BDP-2?
I ask as there are a couple of CD's I intend to purchase that have a SHM version to be released, and It would be helpful to know if I should wait for the upgrade version.

Thanks,
K

Vipers

« Reply #155 on: 1 Sep 2013, 10:04 am »
Damn, I thought that might be the case. I bought too early, never mind.

Cheers

Sounds like time to come over to the BDP-2 Alpha :wink:

Alpha10

« Reply #156 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:54 am »
Sounds like time to come over to the BDP-2 Alpha :wink:

To be honest, I think I will be waiting to see what happens next. Given the UK pricing of the BDP2 and that it has the same sound card, so no real gain for me. I will just carry on ripping on my PC. I would have bought a BOT1 if it worked with my bdp1.

Roll on the BDP3 ( all in one player and ripper with even better sound card and a drive enclosure )  :P :P

Cheers

R. Daneel

« Reply #157 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:22 pm »
James, what's the update on BOT-1? The last thing I read is that you were looking for someone to finish the hardware.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #158 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:30 pm »
James, what's the update on BOT-1? The last thing I read is that you were looking for someone to finish the hardware.

Yes Chris is still working on it but has been spending all his time on the new Manic Moose software for the BDP-2.

jamesd

R. Daneel

« Reply #159 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:17 pm »
Thanks James!

But I never really got a reply to my question regarding the eSATA connection and why it was chosen over USB. Was it necessary to do that because the BD drive is inherently eSATA or because of some other reason?

Also, would it be prudent to say that discs played directly will sound equally good as BOT-1 -ripped versions? Would the BDP be able to do all the error-correction on-the-fly?

I guess what I am asking is this - would the BDP / BOT combination work as something of a "memory player" where the disc is read much faster than normal read speed, loaded into memory onboard and then read from that memory?