AVP-18

matt996sps

AVP-18
« on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:39 pm »
Hi all,
I just found the AVP-18 on the NuForce web site and ... I want it now !  :D
April 30 is the release date in US, I live in Italy so probably I have to wait some additional days.  :(
Someone have more detailed info on this full digital processor ?
Some other good products news are coming in the AV area ? Maybe a matching 5 channels power amp ?

Matteo

John Casler

Re: AVP-18
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2013, 04:57 pm »
Hi Matteo,

I am not able to divulge future products, but I might say, "stay tuned" to this circle, if those are things you are looking for.

I am quite excited about what NuFORCE is doing in the next few months, including the AVP-18 which promises to be a Giant Killer. :thumb:

sac8d4

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:36 pm »
Looks like a feature laden Digital Processor. Love the aesthetics.. matching the Ref 18 monoblocks and the P20 preamp. It unfortunate,  NuForce didn't try to improve on the AVP-17's analog section. I can only imagine how may folks will pair this with the OPPO BDP-103. Add an amp and you are set with your electronics!

NuForce has peaked my interest in what DAC chip they are using. If I remember correctly, their previous products used a Cirrus DAC chip set.

If NuForce wants to send me the AVP-18, I will be more than happy to compare it to my AVP-17 accompanied by a NuForce rig. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2013, 07:07 pm by sac8d4 »

pre

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2013, 04:23 am »
@Nuforce Team,

It is good to have "integrated" product upgrades. In case this new AVP-18 would have the bit perfect output over  USB, it  would be a killer product also for  2ch  (with the famous pure direct "button" idea). 

OT  .... letter to Santa:

Please also make a higer end version AVP that has XLR outs  to support your MCH  and dual mono power amp product lines. Have the HIGH Class D/A  section without op-amps or in such way that the op amps can be replaced with discrete modules. And needs the DSD support and USB out for bit perfect pure direct 2 ch sound  in case no discrete modules used or some compromises done in L+R+Center area. Have also 2x subs out for front. Pico level clock like in Auralic Vega.

Alternative wilder out of the box idea is to create a fully digital multichannel SW-pre where the multichannel sound outputs are all USB type and 2 video outputs for HDMI directly to TV & Projector (no up-scaling  to keep the commodity video part modular and clean)  and you have then  the D/A  engine(s) boxes separately with XLR outs.   And you offer the MCH DA (with USB input) boxes with pico level clock.  DSD ned to be supported also.

Another thing is the brand and product series naming policy. Please concider that and where you  in general use number 18 or 20 etc.

In case the OT part of the message was cloudy, please understand. I rely on that Santa can read all kind of messages and get the key points...

matt996sps

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2013, 01:49 pm »
Hi Matteo, I am not able to divulge future products, but I might say, "stay tuned" to this circle

I'll do  :D
What I'm thinking is an audio setup like this, just because I still want a top 2channel system with a 5.1 evolution:

AV preamp: AVP-18 connected to:
---> 2Channel Integrated IA-18 for main speakers
---> two STA-100 for center and rear speakers or a multichannel amp matching the AVP-18
Oppo 105 as a source with analog connection to IA-18 and digital to AVP-18

Do you think it will works well ?

I don't know about the Nuforce roadmap, but I think the company is doing a great job in terms of product lineup
in both the commercial and high-end market and about sound quality, always a huge improvement year by year.

Probably I'll add to the products list a new upgrade card for Oppo 103/105 or a DA converter and a music server at P20/Ref18 level.
The MSR-1 was a great idea but IMHO not implemented in the best possibile way. Probably today technologies are more mature to think something new and successful in music server / streamer area. (I have about 1800-2000 cd and still waiting to digitalize them all ...)

Bye,
Matteo

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:55 am »
It unfortunate,  NuForce didn't try to improve on the AVP-17's analog section.

Just spoke with Casey, and He said:

"AVP18 has an improved analog section vs. 17. The volume controller and Opamps are all several level above the 17 ".

So it should actually be fitting of the "18" level designation.

I have known about and been waiting for this model myself for some time.

At this time, I expect we will be showing and demoing the AVP-18 at The Home Entertainment Show (May31-June 2) in Newport Beach CA.

While I will post this in a separate post, we will be in room #535 in at the HILTON.

sac8d4

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:17 am »
Sounds interesting......I guess I will just wait and hear about the AVP-18 when it is released.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2013, 09:22 pm »
I now have the AVP-18 in my DEMO HT system, which has had some VERY GOOD PrePros (like the BRYSTON SP2/ONKYO Pro 5509, and others) and initially right out of the box, it sounds far better to me, than anything I have used previously.

Simple, Elegant, Practical, and Great Performing.

I immediately heard a nice improvement to the sonic envelopment/immersion on the very first listen.

Game of Thrones "never" sounded this real.  This showed off the ability to decode CABLE.

Argo, Life of Pi, James Bond and Zero Dark Thirty all had new dimension and dynamics via an OPPO BDP-103 as a source.

And if my audio memory is good, it smoked the 5.1/7.1 analog outs on the player run through my last PrePro.  :thumb:

All of this is with minimal set up, and NO room correction/equalization.

Super easy to set up and good GUI and Menus.

While I will be showing this at The Home Entertainment SHOW May31-June2, it will surely be coming back home with me for my personal system. :green:

matt996sps

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2013, 08:28 pm »
So we already noticed (Newport Show post) from John that a MSP-18 Music Server will come soon ...
but what about the matching 5-7 channel amplifier with the  STA-100 modules inside ?
Matteo

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2013, 08:39 pm »
So we already noticed (Newport Show post) from John that a MSP-18 Music Server will come soon ...
but what about the matching 5-7 channel amplifier with the  STA-100 modules inside ?
Matteo

Hi Matteo,

While NuFORCE hesitates to prepublicize gear that is approaching (due to production and release date issues), I think it would be safe to say that with patience, you might see something in the next month. (edit: or two)
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm by John Casler »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm »
AVP-18 is shipping, we have them in stock.  The scheduled MCA-20 first ship date is end of August, with MCA-18 following soon.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:12 am »
Well now that Casey has mentioned it, the next (slated) MultiChannel Amp is the MCA-20.

It is 245wpc x 8 @ 4 ohms and is scheduled to be priced under $2000 ($1995)

Stacked under/over the AVP-18 ($1095) you have an absolutely incredible HT Processor/Amp combo!!

sac8d4

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2013, 03:06 am »
MCA-20 245wpc x 8 channels Is that a typo? Is it really 8 channels? How many channels is the MCA-18? What are the differences (specs/features) in the MCA offerings? As a follow-up question, what is the differences between MCS series and the original NuForce MCH amps?

Can we get a mock up photo of the MCA series?

When is the analog version of the AVP coming out?

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:15 am »
MCA-20 245wpc x 8 channels Is that a typo? Is it really 8 channels?

No it is not a typo on my end.  To my knowledge it is 8 channels.

How many channels is the MCA-18?

To my knowledge it is also 8 channels.

What are the differences (specs/features) in the MCA offerings?

I don't have much more than the power ratings of 245wpc (MCA-20) and 100wpc (MCA-18) both @ 4 ohms

As a follow-up question, what is the differences between MCS series and the original NuForce MCH amps?

Well for one thing the Power Ratings are slightly different, and they are 8 channels rather than 7/5/3.  Beyond that, information is not yet available at my level.

Can we get a mock up photo of the MCA series?

From what I have seen the styling will be the same as the AVP-18 and MCP-18.

When is the analog version of the AVP coming out?

That is not something I can announce, but if Casey or Jason feel they are ready, then they might offer a time period.

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2013, 06:19 pm »

John Casler

Another AVP-18 and DAC-80 report from WHAT Hi*FI
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2013, 05:52 pm »

Here is another report on the AVP-18 and DAC-80 from WHAT HI*FI.

ricardojoa

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2013, 06:33 pm »
What is the word of this unit, using it as a 2.1 chanel preamp. Main reason for this is the peq function and bass management for the 2.1 set up.

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2013, 06:39 pm »
What is the word of this unit, using it as a 2.1 chanel preamp. Main reason for this is the peq function and bass management for the 2.1 set up.

Hi Ricardo,

Yes, it can be set to 2.1 and the PEQ will function at that setting.

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2013, 02:54 am »
Hi Ricardo,

Yes, it can be set to 2.1 and the PEQ will function at that setting.

Hi John,

how does the AVP18 processor compares sonically to P20 or the P9 analogue preamps? Regarless of bass management, it seems a processor for two chanel is a no for hifi.

CarterB

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2013, 11:48 am »
Does anyone have the dimensions? The website unhelpfully says "17"

Also, the most unique feature for me is the digital out--I like the option of sending it to a higher end DAC or DSP. I assume it sends two channels to the digital out? If so, could it send the other channels to the existing preouts?