Piano Black RM1 Neos on Audiogon - Asking $850US

sharper

« on: 8 May 2003, 01:39 pm »
Price seems reasonable. Thought I'd pass it on.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1057407959

drphoto

« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2003, 09:02 pm »
Already sold. Not to me though.  :(

HarleyMYK

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 10:11 pm »
I got them!  Thanks Sharper.  

Shipping and PayPal added about $130 to the price, but I still thought it was a pretty good deal.  Of course I would have rather had wrap around oak, but what the heck.

I plan to try them with a pair of nOrh Le Amp IIs that I have on order and a used nOrh ACA that picked up last month very reasonably.  I have an old Thorens and a CD-1 (actually a QDS-15) as sources when I put it together.

I think this makes up for missing this one ebay VMPS Subs.

Thanks again for the heads up!

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2003, 11:35 pm »
Harley,

Just wanted to give you two heads up. One, it has been common fashion to charge paypal users 3% on AG.  I think this is pretty foul play imo.  They get their dough faster, they should cover that convenience, not you.  Secondly, many have been charging the user 3% regardless of payment method.  This is sh*tty, no other way around it, because paypal only charges them the 2.9% (not 3%!) fee if CC were the method of payment.  It is true, many buyers on AG use PP for CC purchases, but I typically use direct from checking account (no fee) on PP for faster transactions.  This benefits both ends, and shouldn't be charged a fee!  Make sure you aren't being hosed here!

Second thing I thought I would bring up was I saw those VMPS subs on ebay too.  I emailed the seller asking questions.  He wasn't too forthcoming, but when I did get answers out of him, I found they were not megawoofers, no soundcoating, no nothing extra.  Keep this in mind.  Also since he was local I was willing to arrange an exchange (not having to be at his house if he didn't want) but the guy was a total prick and it made me question his entire ad and his description of the product.  Write it off as a hassle you avoided.

HarleyMYK

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2003, 12:22 am »
Well, I got the nice guy.  We had a wonderful prompt set of 11 exchanges - the last few just on hi-fi stuff.  He ate a small part of the shipping, so I didn't mind paying the 3% paypal.  The extra 0.1% is $0.95 - but I agree.  And it is coming out of my bank account not my credit card, so I don't get any frequent flyer miles and paypal makes the whole $28.50 :(

I usually look at the whole deal and see whether I want to negotiate.  I thought this one was OK.  I have been wanting to audition some VMPS speakers, and this looked like a low risk way to go.  Next upgrade (whenever that is) I won't feel too bad as I will hopefully be able to sell these for close to what I paid for them.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2003, 12:24 am »
Hi Harley,

Welcome to the VMPS camp.  (I trust these are your first?)

I am the Local VMPS dealer and if you need any setup help or have any questions call or post me.

Also if you want to hear the RM40s or (I just got these today :P ) the 626Rs let me know.

As I said I just got the 626Rs in today and "Holy Sweet Cheeses", the FST tweeter is a winner.

I have only run them through a quick set up and popped a few "reference cuts, and my Jaw is still not off the floor.

I'll write a more detailed report later, but I am amazed at the incredible sound and I haven't touched a pot yet.

I can't beleive the audiophile press is not all over this speaker.

Also, all you local guys, Randy, Mad Dog, Sa-Dono, and all, call or post me to come in and hear for these for real.

WOW!!!

I just posted Brian two words "Holy SH**"

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2003, 12:37 am »
Not to hijack the thread, but to respond to Josh:

Once your Paypal account has had a credit card payment received, ALL future payment receipts are charged the 2.9%.

I prefer to waive the 2.9% fee when I'm selling something because it makes the payment process so much simpler.

Harley - good luck with the RM1's.  Be sure to give them plenty of power.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2003, 01:22 am »
Brad is right.  I found out the hard way and it cost me about $90 on an amp deal a time ago.

I now have one Paypal account to take CC and another to take transfers so it doesn't happen again.

And Harley, I have almost finshed a "tweak" test (to make sure it works) and will post it soon.

I think it is remarkable and will work for most RM1/RM2/RM40 owners.

I find it improves just about every aspect of the sound, especially the Bass, Midbass, female (and male) voices, and the real metalic sheen associated with instruments like cymbals, triangles, and even the small metal discs on tamborines.

Coming SOON... :o  Look for it.

Ernest

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2003, 01:39 am »
PayPal charges 2.9% of the total; I ask people to pay 3% but that's of my asking price.  They add 3% and PayPal takes 2.9% of that.

I have no problem asking buyers to pay the fee.  They get to choose how to pay me.  They can always send a check.  If I only accepted payment via PayPal then I would not feel good about asking them to pay the fee.

I've sold quite a fee things this way and no one has ever complained.

HarleyMYK

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2003, 02:10 pm »
I looked into the PayPal thing and it is actually 2.9% + $0.30 so technically if it is under $300 and they charge 3% you are coming out ahead.  It also looks like we should suggest that sellers open up a personal account in the future, so they can save the fee on checking account transactions.

John, thanks for your multiple offers.  I sent you a PM.

I believe the RM1s are 4 ohm, and the Le Amp IIs I am getting are supposed to be between 300 and 400 watts at 4 ohms (180 watts into 8 ohms) - so even though the quality is unknown at this point, it will hopefully do OK on the power end of things  :wink: .

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2003, 02:54 pm »
Congrads Harley!  Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to give you the heads up and Brad and John are right in regards to the PP charges.  I will start another thread, maybe suggesting we come up with a short FAQ here on paypal fees that we can point sellers to that don't understand the difference.

theborg

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2003, 02:57 pm »
And congrats Josh, that was our 20,000th post  :D