M3 vs M3 Turbo S

rugby1111

M3 vs M3 Turbo S
« on: 22 Oct 2019, 04:22 am »
I'm about to buy a used pair M3, but how do I tell if it's M3 Turbo S vs regular M3? The serial field only has numeric handwritten serial numbers while some of the online pictures i found online of M3 Turbo S have "___ Turbo S" in the serial field. The current owner said he was told by the dealer he got the speakers from told him they're indeed M3 Turbo S.

yakbob

Re: M3 vs M3 Turbo S
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2019, 04:40 pm »
I don't recall my M3 Turbo S serial having any indicator of S status.

I think one visual way to tell is if both the positive and negative wires connecting the compression driver on the back are Duelund (both having black fabric insulator). I believe the non S versions used red and black vinyl insulated wire.

vondy

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2019, 05:34 pm »
I'm not home to check but I want to say mine say Turbo S on the crossover plate. Mine have the red and black twisted wire.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2019, 06:24 pm »
I'm about to buy a used pair M3, but how do I tell if it's M3 Turbo S vs regular M3? The serial field only has numeric handwritten serial numbers while some of the online pictures i found online of M3 Turbo S have "___ Turbo S" in the serial field. The current owner said he was told by the dealer he got the speakers from told him they're indeed M3 Turbo S.

Ask for the serial number and call spatial audio, they should be able to tell you.

undertowogt1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2019, 09:40 pm »
I dont have Duelund (both having black fabric insulator) wire but I surly have M3 Turbo S. Heres a pic of how mine look

bravo

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:50 am »
I have the M3 Turbo S too, the back plate is exactly same as yours. The 2 speaker binding post is WBT not Duelund.

kidgleason

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2020, 11:02 pm »
Bumping this topic because I was going to start a new thread with the exact same title.

Has anyone heard both the M3 Turbo and the M3 Turbo S and can say whether the new compression driver in the S is a substantial improvement over the regular version? I'm currently searching the used market for the M3 Turbo and it appears that the S version sells for quite a bit more ($1,000 or so). I'm curious whether anyone thinks it's worth that kind of markup or not. Thanks in advance!

Tarheel

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2020, 08:37 pm »
A real comprehensive review by Steven Stone of hometheaterreview.com on the Turbo S pushed me in that direction.  Google the review if you like.

ric

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2020, 02:37 pm »
When you say "substantial improvement" that is a wide open topic, but probably the best thing to do would be to call Clayton (if possible) and him. It can be assumed that any upgraded version will sound better--my advice is to spend the money. Your pocket book will only hurt for a little while....

Tarheel

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:21 pm »
I think there is a pair of M3s on usaudiomart for $800 unless they have sold.