Dodd preamp owners

Tomy2Tone

Re: Dodd preamp owners
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:00 am »
I ended up ordering an Astron lps to try with the Dodd after a recommendation from a forum member. A buddy of mine has a Vinnie Rossi ps that we’ll get to see how it works as well.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:59 am »
I still use my Dodd Pre-amp. I haven't found anything better yet. The naked Visha resistors took it up a notch and so did the use of the Jupiter caps in the coupling position. The sound can be varied quite a bit with the coupling caps.

Also, not all batteries are the same. The bigger 100 amp hour Power Sonic batteries are my favorite. The bigger batteries really improve dynamics.

The Russian DR tube was a must as well.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:10 am »
I still use my Dodd Pre-amp. I haven't found anything better yet. The naked Visha resistors took it up a notch and so did the use of the Jupiter caps in the coupling position. The sound can be varied quite a bit with the coupling caps.

Also, not all batteries are the same. The bigger 100 amp hour Power Sonic batteries are my favorite. The bigger batteries really improve dynamics.

The Russian DR tube was a must as well.

Part of the research I found was you recommending the 100AH batteries. Would still like to try one down the line. The Astron was cheap enough to start with. If things go well I’ll definitely love doing upgrades over time.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2019, 03:20 pm »
This is one of those designs that puts very little in the signal path. So how good it sounds can have a lot to do with all of the little things in the chain. Caps, connectors, wire, tube, etc...

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2019, 04:10 pm »
Part of the research I found was you recommending the 100AH batteries. Would still like to try one down the line. The Astron was cheap enough to start with. If things go well I’ll definitely love doing upgrades over time.

I will be interested on your take on this. In my system, the Astron sounded better than the batteries. I was very surprised.