wrinkle in Raal?

MikeDavis

wrinkle in Raal?
« on: 4 Mar 2011, 11:54 pm »
Hello all, i recently acquired a beautiful pair of HT1-TLs and am absolutely loving them (powered by a Marantz PM-11s2 ... previous thread).  They sound wonderful!  However, i noticed that one of the RAAL ribbons has what can best be described as a wrinkle in whatever material it is thats visible head-on.  I notice no difference in volume or performance between the two speakers.  Just curious if this is normal or if the wrinkle could create distortion (albeit, nothing i can discern in my current setup).   

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: wrinkle in Raal?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2011, 04:54 am »
Hi  If you saw how low-mass tha foil ribbon element is, you could understand how there might be a little wrinkle now and then.  One of my RAALs has a wrinkle, and it measures identically to the other one.  RAAL has a replacement kit for the element, but I really doubt that you need it, unless the wrinkling is really serious. 

Rocket

Re: wrinkle in Raal?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2011, 10:50 am »
Hi,

Previously to own salk sound HT2's I owned a speaker using raven 1 ribbon tweeter.  From time to time the ribbon would break and I had to replace it.  I could never get it to sit just right and it always had a bit of a wrinkle but it never impacted on the sound.

Probably best to ignore it unless you can fix it easily.

Regards

Rod