Amp for HT2-TL

Rocket

Re: Amp for HT2-TL
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2009, 11:31 am »
Hi,

I used an 88 watt per channel to power my ht2's and they had plenty of power for the speakers.  Your problem arises that in the future you would like the possibility to upgrade to ht3's or ht4's.  The speakers are quite inefficient and from comments I've read the speakers are recommended for amplifiers that are 200 watts per channel.

I can't comment on AVA gear except to say that it is well reviewed, appears to be in your price range and they provide the right amount of power that you may need.

I had this same dilemma when chosing a new amplifier because I would like to upgrade to ht3's in the future.  I went with a 300 watt per channel amplifier in the end.

Btw ht2's really rise to the occasion every time you upgrade a component in your system.

Regards

Rod

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm »

Hey Pete, the local dealer here has used Atma-Sphere MA-1's for $7500, less than 1/2 the $17k for a new pair.
[/quote]

Well if you guys kick in $7000 I'll go for it!

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:48 pm »

Hey Pete, the local dealer here has used Atma-Sphere MA-1's for $7500, less than 1/2 the $17k for a new pair.

Well if you guys kick in $7000 I'll go for it!
[/quote]

I'll get that fund drive started.  :lol:

coke

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:53 pm »
Looks like if I put my 5.1 stuff on hold, I can afford to get an AVA Ultra 550 amp, Ultra Preamp, and soon after an Ultra DAC.

Should give me a nice 2 channel system to start with, and I'll add 5.1 later on.

I hope I don't have to upgrade from HT2-TLs for many years, but there's always a chance that I could for some reason.  I think the above system should give me enough flexibility for just about anything.

martyo

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2009, 01:19 pm »
Looks like if I put my 5.1 stuff on hold, I can afford to get an AVA Ultra 550 amp, Ultra Preamp, and soon after an Ultra DAC.

Should give me a nice 2 channel system to start with, and I'll add 5.1 later on.

I hope I don't have to upgrade from HT2-TLs for many years, but there's always a chance that I could for some reason.  I think the above system should give me enough flexibility for just about anything.

That will be a VERY nice set. As for the upgrading,"have to" are probably the operative words.  :P           8)
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2009, 02:27 pm by martyo »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2009, 01:35 pm »
That would be killer and handle any speaker.  Does the preamp come with a bypass?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:20 pm »
The Ultra EC preamp has a switchable External Processor Loop allowing an easy connection to a HT processor.  The SL versions use one set of the two switchable tape loops to achieve the same result.

We want to drive the front main speakers with the high quallity stereo preamp and amplifier after matching HT levels with the precision stepped volume control on the preamp. Then the master multi-channel volume control on the HT unit will control everything.

I have a .pdf file showing the complete hookup if anyone wants it. Just e-mail me for it.  It is also available somewhere else at AC but I forgot where.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

vintagebob

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:29 pm »
The Ultra EC preamp has a switchable External Processor Loop allowing an easy connection to a HT processor.  The SL versions use one set of the two switchable tape loops to achieve the same result.

We want to drive the front main speakers with the high quallity stereo preamp and amplifier after matching HT levels with the precision stepped volume control on the preamp. Then the master multi-channel volume control on the HT unit will control everything.

I have a .pdf file showing the complete hookup if anyone wants it. Just e-mail me for it.  It is also available somewhere else at AC but I forgot where.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

AVA HT integration.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71366.msg668574#msg668574

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2009, 06:10 pm »
Frank,

Any plans to add a "true" HT bypass to future peamps?  This way the preamp could be turned off and the volume wouldn't have to be matched to achieve it.  I mean no offense, of course.

Edit:  I'll be honest here and admit that's the reason I went with a different vendor.  I wanted to go AVA, but messing with all that stuff is not my cup of tea.  Again, I mean no offense whatsoever. 

srb

« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2009, 06:16 pm »
Frank,

Any plans to add a "true" HT bypass to future peamps?  This way the preamp could be turned off and the volume wouldn't have to be matched to achieve it.  I mean no offense, of course.

Also for purity of signal it would be bypassing the preamp volume control and associated preamp circuitry.  Why send that HT signal through two preamps?

Steve

coke

« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2009, 06:52 pm »
Not sure how this would affect SQ, but it might be an option.

Would run both coax and HDMI out of blu ray.

Coax from Blu ray to DAC. RCA from DAC to Pre.  RCA switch between Pre and Amp.

HDMI from blu ray to Receiver - Receiver preouts to RCA switch

I'd basically just have to push a button to take the DAC and preamp out of the chain, and use the receiver as a pre.

Stylus

« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2009, 07:37 pm »
Frank,

Edit:  I'll be honest here and admit that's the reason I went with a different vendor.  I wanted to go AVA, but messing with all that stuff is not my cup of tea.  Again, I mean no offense whatsoever.

IME most processor/tape loops function ahead of the preamps volume/tone controls, so it is a true bypass and you should not have to worry about volume matching.  The only downside I can see is they will not work with the preamp turned off like a lot of HT Bypass' will.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2009, 09:08 pm »
In general the line stages in HT units won't drive their way out of a paper bag.  Thus we would expect better sound with our line stage in series than running the amplifier direct from the HT line stage.  Our preamps have low input capacitance, pure resistive 47K ohm input impedance, very high drive current and low ouput impedances.  They are an easy load for your HT processor to drive and drive amplifiers and cable runs very well indeed.

Try it, I bet you will like it.  With our precision stepped volume control you only have to match levels once and then remember how many steps to set it at for future HT use.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 27 Oct 2009, 09:59 pm »
So I take it the answer to my question is "no" then?  What about adding a subwoofer output?  I know, it's audio blasphemy, but many of us would utilize it.  Is that something I could have specially created, along with a HT bypass that works with the preamp turned off?  Just curious, as I'd love to move up to an AVA preamp down the road.  Thanks for the input, Frank. 

coke

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:25 pm »
Just got off the phone with Frank.

Ultra 550 amp and Ultra SL preamp ordered.  :green:

edit: Completely overlooked that.  lol, engineers aren't supposed to be able to spell anyway.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:29 pm »
Just got off the phone with Fank.

Wait until Frank hears about this.

srb

« Reply #36 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:34 pm »

Fank is the alter-ego phone consultant and deal closer.

Frank designs and builds the amplifiers.

Coke, sounds like in a month or two you will be in two channel heaven.  Congratulations.

Steve

martyo

« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:38 pm »
Should be very nice.  :thumb:

coke

« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:48 pm »

:scratch:

Mudslide

« Reply #39 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:57 pm »

:scratch:

Not to worry, coke.  That's an Official DMurphy Needle.  (But then, I don't know who Fank is either.   :wink:)

Congrats on the forthcoming system.  You're gonna be in audio nirvana!