Amp recommendation

Steve Vol

Amp recommendation
« on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:57 am »
Here's another amp question from someone new to the audio game.  I've ordered a pair of Jim Salk's gorgeous HT3's but am needing some amplifier recommedations or advice.  Currently I am considering the a BAT VK500, a Van Alstine Fet Valve 550EXR or a Bryston 4B SST.  Any feedback or comparison between these amps or other recommendations would be appreciated.  The BAT and Bryston can be picked up used on Audiogon for about the same price range as a new Van Alstine, so that is my expected price range.

Hopefully my HT3's will be ready sometime around July!

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Amp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2006, 02:18 am »
I would add into the equation the Channel Island D-200's.

I used these on my HT3's and was suprised by how good they were top to bottom.  Do a search to see my comments and observations.

I have only heard the Bryston amp out of the choices you have listed and not in my own system.  I wasn't overly fond of the Bryston sound (thought it was a little bland, lacking in detail and boogie factor, and just not my cup of tea.

My own reference is now the BAT VK-600SE, but I don't know how much of that sound trickles down to a VK-500.

Off topic...what finish/options did you get on your speakers?

George

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Amp recommendation
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2006, 02:24 am »
Passlabs  x1000, x2, 2000w assisted class-a too good and loud latest
technology, on the other hand there's the GGA a100 10w CLASS-A-PURE
quality sound at quality volume!

zybar

• Volunteer
Amp recommendation
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2006, 02:28 am »
Quote from: G Georgopoulos
Passlabs  x1000, x2, 2000w assisted class-a too good and loud latest
technology, on the other hand there's the GGA a100 10w CLASS-A-PURE
quality sound at quality volume!

What purpose did your post serve other than to highlight your product and show you know nothing about the Salk HT3's?

The Passlabs amps are nowhere near the price point the original poster specified and your 10watt amp isn't going to match up with the Salk HT3's.

Please try and provide some value when answering somebody's post for help or information.

George

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Amp recommendation
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2006, 02:32 am »
ok sorry, i was making a general comment/recommendation

please accept my sincere appologies

kind regards

Steve Vol

Amp recommendation
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2006, 02:54 am »
George, thanks for the comments.  I read from your posts where you have recently acquired the VK600.  Other postings I have read lead me to think that while not as good as the VK600, that the VK500 is as least similiar with some of the good qualities to its big brother.

In answer to your question, I ordered the basic set up with Mascobar ebony and the Claro Walnut baffles.  As a longtime music lover but new to the audio game, wasn't sure if I needed too many options or not.  Still making alot of decisions about audio gear.  

Steve

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Amp recommendation
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2006, 03:03 am »
Steve....Good luck with you new speakers !! 8)
    As for amp's....I know a fellow Raver
Levi owns both a Bryston and a BAT 500....you might send him a PM.[/list:u]
    And I've read that Jim Salk has a new Van Alstine , you could get his comments.[/list:u]
      What else will you have in your system ?[/list:u]

gongos

Amp recommendation
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2006, 03:36 am »
Quote from: zybar
I would add into the equation the Channel Island D-200's.

I used these on my HT3's and was suprised by how good they were top to bottom.  Do a search to see my comments and observations.

I have only heard the Bryston amp out of the choices you have listed and not in my own system.  I wasn't overly fond of the Bryston sound (thought it was a little bland, lacking in detail and boogie factor, and just not my cup of tea.

My own reference is now the BAT VK-600SE, but I don't know how much of that sound ...

I have to agree with Zybar here. I just received a pair of D-200's, and they're really nice. They're every bit as good as the Fet Valve 550 I owned. Dynamic, great balanced sound from top to bottom. Plus, they only weigh 15lbs.

zybar

• Volunteer
Amp recommendation
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2006, 04:03 am »
Quote from: Steve Vol
George, thanks for the comments.  I read from your posts where you have recently acquired the VK600.  Other postings I have read lead me to think that while not as good as the VK600, that the VK500 is as least similiar with some of the good qualities to its big brother.

In answer to your question, I ordered the basic set up with Mascobar ebony and the Claro Walnut baffles.  As a longtime music lover but new to the audio game, wasn't sure if I needed too many options or not.  Still making alot of decisions about audio gear.  

Steve

Steve,

Sounds like a sweet combination for the HT3's.

In terms of the BAT amps, if it fits into the budget, try to get an SE version.  or at least a BAT PAK.  Improving the power supply is a good thing in general and a very good thing for a power amp.

Check with Jim on the AVA amp as he just picked up some gear from Frank.

George

95bcwh

Amp recommendation
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2006, 04:13 am »
Quote from: gongos
I have to agree with Zybar here. I just received a pair of D-200's, and they're really nice. They're every bit as good as the Fet Valve 550 I owned. Dynamic, great balanced sound from top to bottom. Plus, they only weigh 15lbs.

D200 is a 100 bucks more expensive than Fet Valve 550EXR, so AVA still win!! :mrgreen:

Wally King

Amp recommendation
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2006, 12:30 pm »
Well, I've had a AVA 550exr for about a year and a half, and will hopefully have a new pair of HT3s shipping to me next week, so I'll soon be attempting to wax eloquently on the beautiful music they'll be making together.

samplesj

Amp recommendation
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2006, 12:31 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
D200 is a 100 bucks more expensive than Fet Valve 550EXR, so AVA still win!! :mrgreen:

Ok, so just buy a UCD400 amp from Kevin (DIYCable), or buy the raw modules and built it yourself.  

While Dusty's D200 is supposed to be modded, it is still fundamentally a UCD400 module.

95bcwh

Amp recommendation
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:21 pm »
Quote from: samplesj

Ok, so just buy a UCD400 amp from Kevin (DIYCable), or buy the raw modules and built it yourself.  

While Dusty's D200 is supposed to be modded, it is still fundamentally a UCD400 module.

Oh..have anyone actually compared the two and can confirm that the UCD400 and D200 sound the same?

I always wanted to learn how to DIY audio equipment...but  need to learn how to build simple things first before I build an amp. I also have to be good in soldering first, so for the time being, that remains a remote dream. :roll:

texas steve

Amp recommendation
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:25 pm »
Oh..have anyone actually compared the two and can confirm that the UCD400 and D200 sound the same?

I always wanted to learn how to DIY audio equipment...but  need to learn how to build simple things first before I build an amp. I also have to be good in soldering first, so for the time being, that remains a remote dream. :roll:

Get your HT3s yet??

Occam

Amp recommendation
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:39 pm »
Quote from: samplesj
...While Dusty's D200 is supposed to be modded, it is still fundamentally a UCD400 module.

While the Porsche 356 is supposed to be modded, it is still fundamentally a Volkswagon Beetle.... :roll:

I've not heard the D200, although I have heard the various incarnations of the stock Hypex modules and they're not something I'd be happy with in MY system. Nor can I (or you?) opine on what Dusty's implementation offers over a stock Hypex. That would require a side by side comparison.
I will comment that a good (even great) component, built to a price point, can be substantially different both objectively and subjectively with mods/enchancements, and that the effort to do so competently requires substantial resources in both time and material.

FWIW,
Paul

samplesj

Amp recommendation
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:47 pm »
Quote from: Occam
While the Porsche 356 is supposed to be modded, it is still fundamentally a Volkswagon Beetle.... :roll:

Hey I'm not really trying to slam Dusty.  I do know that I've read some stuff on DIYAudio talking about the degree of modding.

That isn't a fair analogy at all.  The frame, engine or almost any other part isn't the same at all.

If you had said a particular Lexus was just a modded Toyota or a Mits Eclipse (gen 2 - not newer 3s) was just a modded Eagle Talon the it might be more reasonable.

Bob Reynolds

Re: Amp recommendation
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2006, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: Steve Vol
Here's another amp question from someone new to the audio game.  I've ordered a pair of Jim Salk's gorgeous HT3's but am needing some amplifier recommedations or advice.  Currently I am considering the a BAT VK500, a Van Alstine Fet Valve 550EXR or a Bryston 4B SST.  Any feedback or comparison between these amps or other recommendations would be appreciated.  The BAT and Bryston can be picked up used on Audiogon for about the same price range as a new Van Alstine, so that is my expected price range.

Hope ...

Hi Steve,

Suggesting an amp without knowing the preamp and without knowing whether connections are balanced or unbalanced is fruitless. There are literally 10s of "good" amps on the market, but synergy plays a big part in building a good system. Knowing your listening preferences also will play a part, as well as, how far away from the speaker do you sit and how big is the room. The HT3 was rated at 85dB, so you'll need some power to drive it. Remember that for every 3dB it takes double the power.

Good luck,

Bob

Steve Vol

Amp recommendation
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2006, 05:45 pm »
Bob, thanks, good points.  I currently have a Yamaha RX2400, but that was my starter unit to get going.  As I read and learn more, I am in the upgrade or build a better system mode.  So, I am looking to build as I go and decided to start with amp(after the HT3's) and probably follow with the same brand of preamp.  So, if the decision is a balanced BAT, would probably get a balanced Bat preamp also.  

As far as my room, I have a dedicated 13 x 22 ft room that is used for HT, 2 channel and multichannel.  The room is carpeted with curtains on the windows and bookshelves accross the back of the room.   I sit about 10 -12 feet from the speakers and listen to rock and jazz and as I mentioned earlier, HT.  Unless I am off base, I have been looking at amps in the 200 + watt range and from reviews I have read, had narrowed my selection to the aforementioned amps although I would consider others.

Wally King,  I look forward to hearing your comments when you get your HT3's in.

Will also look into the D-200's,  Is that a tube or SS amp?

Thanks for the respones as I see alot of good advise via Audio Circle.

Steve

Bob Reynolds

Amp recommendation
« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2006, 07:06 pm »
Steve, so currently you use an AV receiver for 2-channel, multi-channel and HT. Do you plan on building a true multi-channel system or merge the HT into a 2-channel system?

If you are going to let the HT share the 2-channel system as the front left & right channels, then make sure the preamp you get has a "Theater" or "Processor" or "Unity Gain" input. This allows the volume control to be done by the AV pre/pro and passes through the 2-channel preamp. Many of the better preamps have this feature today.

There are some excellent multi-channel amps on the market and though the cost is greater they are actually a better value on a $$$/watt basis. Some of these amps can be purchased with only 2 channels in the beginning and then add additional channels as funds allow. Also, if your speakers are bi-wireable, a multi-channel amp will let you easily bi-amp them.

Depending on the level of system you are tying to build a good AV pre/pro may be sufficient for 2-channel music instead of a 2-chanel preamp.

You have a nice sized room and you sit pretty far back. If you don't already have one, you might want to pick up an analog SPL meter and measure how loud you typically enjoy music and movies. You should be aware that sitting that far back allows more of the room to influence the sound of the system than if you were 7 - 8 feet from the speakers. You get less direct sound sitting further away -- more room reflections.

As someone mentioned the D-200, I assume they mean the Channel Islands Audio 200 watt monoblock. It's a class D amplifier. If you are considering that "class" of amp, then take a look at Bel Canto and Rowland as well (oh, NuForce, too). Lots of folks are jumping on the class D bandwagon.

Hope I haven't confused things too much.

Oh, one other comment. If you have a choice, I urge you to pick balanced connections (XLR) over unbalanced (RCA).

-- Bob