What do you all suggest

Spinerep

What do you all suggest
« on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:30 pm »
Hello there!

Little about me…

about 3 years ago, I was fortunate enough financially to be able to order a pair of HT2-TL's from Jim.  i was also fortunate enough to be within driving distance and had a chance to go visit Jim and his staff and see some of the care and dedication put into each and every one of the speakers he sends out with his name.

Unfortunately some things happened in my life and I had to sell those speakers to raise money for a medical need in my family. 

Well, I am past that now and ready to get back into Saulk speakers. 

I have also since moved to a smaller house and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the "bookshelf" type speakers offered.  These would be used as main's.  In a 2 channel environment for now music only.

My budget is approx 1500 but could stretch to 1800.

Any thoughts?  I know they will sound much different then the HT2's but looking for something very accurate.

thanks much!

Spinerep...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: What do you all suggest
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2014, 01:42 am »
Hello, Spinerep.

I've put a lot of time recently into reading up on the available monitors from Salk, so I can offer some quick thoughts.

Given your price range, there are three models (to my knowledge) that fit: WOW1, CAOW1, MBOW1. Unfortunately, I have not heard any of these speakers, so I can't comment on their sound.

Enjoy your search/purchase....

Descriptions:

WOW1

Rich wanted a small, high quality mini-monitor that would fit on a bookshelf.  So he needed a speaker with a front-firing port. We looked at various drivers and settled on the Seas Excel W12 with a 3/4” Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.  While the resulting sensitivity is somewhat low (83db), the speaker plays down to an F3 of 48Hz!  This is quite remarkable for a speaker that is only 7” wide, 9” deep and 10 3/4” tall.

When members of the Southeast Michigan Audio Club heard these sweet little speakers at a recent club meeting we hosted, the first three people entering the room asked what kind of sub we were using with them.  Of course, there was no subwoofer in the system.

“The WOW1 is no one trick pony. Its presentation is strikingly capable from top to bottom, its abilities just as evident during nearfield use perhaps even more so. It's easily revealing enough to show strengths or weaknesses in a signal chain, yet steers clear of the grating, overly clinical sound chosen by some designers for its "accuracy". Factor in the stunning finish and impeccable build quality, throw in a generous helping of great customer service including real-time build updates and easy access to the company founder, and I really can't think of anything else Salk could add to improve upon this experience. Having sampled much of the competition in this price class and beyond, I'm comfortable placing the WOW1 at the top of the heap, whether in a traditional setup or a desktop system. Highly recommended.” - John Grandberg review - Inner|Fidelity     >|  read more   

applications The WOW1’s are perfect for building a small system with high sound quality.  Their size allows their use in spaces that will not allow for a larger bookshelf or tower speaker. available finishes As with all of our custom speaker products, the WOW1's can be ordered in virtually any finish you desire. WOW1 pricing Normally, speakers of this quality retail for $1800.00 to $2400.00 per pair, depending on the finish. But because these are custom produced and you are purchasing direct, you can expect to pay considerably less. WOW1 pricing starts at $1199.00 per pair

MBOW1 and CAOW1

The MBOW1 uses the Peerless of India M130 midwoofer and the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter (same as in the Ellis 1801's). The CAOW1 is essentially the same speaker but substitutes the Seas CA15RLY (same as used in the Song-Series speakers) for the M130. The CA15 is a slightly superior driver. Both models were designed by Dennis Murphy. They are essentially the same speaker as our SongSurround I’s, but the crossover features 2nd order slopes for an extremely smooth transition between the drivers. Many consider this design to be the ultimate bookshelf speaker in this class. You must hear them to understand the difference.

applications The MBOW1/CAOW1 is ideal for mid-sized rooms in either high-end two channel applications or high-end home theater applications when used as left and right mains, left and right rears and even as a center channel. available finishes As with all of our custom speaker products, the MBOW1/CAOW1's can be crafted in virtually any finish you desire. For example, the MBOW1's above were produced in fiddleback mahogany with African bosse pomelle front baffles.

MBOW1/CAOW1 pricing Speakers of this quality can retail for as much as $1400.00 to $2000.00 per pair, depending on the finish. But because these are custom crafted and you are purchasing direct, you can expect to pay considerably less. MBOW1/CAOW1 pricing starts at $999.00 per pair

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:05 am »
Hello there!

Little about me…

about 3 years ago, I was fortunate enough financially to be able to order a pair of HT2-TL's from Jim.  i was also fortunate enough to be within driving distance and had a chance to go visit Jim and his staff and see some of the care and dedication put into each and every one of the speakers he sends out with his name.

Unfortunately some things happened in my life and I had to sell those speakers to raise money for a medical need in my family. 

Well, I am past that now and ready to get back into Saulk speakers. 

I have also since moved to a smaller house and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the "bookshelf" type speakers offered.  These would be used as main's.  In a 2 channel environment for now music only.

My budget is approx 1500 but could stretch to 1800.

Any thoughts?  I know they will sound much different then the HT2's but looking for something very accurate.

thanks much!

Spinerep...

I would be surprised if the monitors sounded "much different" than the HT2.  Having heard the SongTower, HT2-TL, and SoundScape 10, they all have a similar sound.  I would expect the monitors to also have a similar sound. ;)

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:35 am »
I love Salk speakers and Jim is as good a person as I've ever met.  That being said, given your price constraints I would get a pair of Philharmonitors, from Philharmonic speakers and a Rythmik servo sub.

Philharmonic is the speaker company that Dennis Murphy owns.

MichiganMike

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014, 02:13 pm »
Have you considered previously owned options?  There is a pair of Salk surrounds listed on Audiogon for $450.  These speakers are in Michigan, so you may be able to audition them.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2014, 03:01 pm »
Wait till you're closer to having $2000 and then just order basic SongTowers.

JonnyFive

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2014, 03:18 pm »
Wait till you're closer to having $2000 and then just order basic SongTowers.

Agreed.  The pain of dinking around with monitor stands combined with better bass in the Songtowers would be my motivation here. -Jon

guf

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2014, 05:29 pm »
Agreed.  The pain of dinking around with monitor stands combined with better bass in the Songtowers would be my motivation here. -Jon

agree and agree. There are often songtowers in the 1400$ range on here.

Spinerep

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2014, 06:40 pm »
Really?  song towers will sounds "that" much more accurate than say WOW1?  or something from Dennis' stable like the monitors.

Gzerro

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2014, 07:14 pm »
Really?  song towers will sounds "that" much more accurate than say WOW1?  or something from Dennis' stable like the monitors.

I have both - Songtowers in my main system and WOW1s in a bedroom system.

At low volumes in a small room there really isn't alot of difference, and the WOWs maybe actually are a bit more natural in the midrange. The front ported design allows them to live happily on a shelf (stands would be better but if you are limited in space it isn't a dealbreaker). They have much better bass than you might expect from a small speaker, but they don't have the dynamics or impact of the Songtowers. If you are into rap, metal, or electronica and occasionally want to crank the volume, the WOWs are going to leave you wanting more.

The main advantage of Songtowers is they can be played alot louder and fill a much larger room due to their greater efficiency, and also are more impactful and dynamic. They are a match for the WOW1s in just about every other respect.

So it is really a trade-off based on your tastes in music, size of your room and flexibility in where you can place them. A used set of Songtowers is in your budget and are starting to be seen more regularly these days as people upgrade to the newer Salk designs such as the Veracity ST, so you could go either way.