Amps with XLR inputs

jackmonkeyhat

Amps with XLR inputs
« on: 3 Dec 2013, 08:43 am »
Gents, I'm looking to upgrade the tried and trusted Emotiva XPA-2 and need some guidance.  This is to work with the Song Towers, a Rythmik Sub, the W4s Dac-2  and if I'm lucky a CAPS 3.0

Requirements (aside from sounding better than the emotiva):
-Smaller footprint (width of around 15 inches or less would be ideal)
- Has XLR inputs so I can still run a 2.1 set-up.

Music wise, I'm playing a range of Country, Jazz, 60s - 80s music (digital). At some point I may dust off my vinyl though. If it helps I felt the emotiva/Dac-2 combo was fine, but way of sounding like a live band that I hope I'd get from Norah Jones high res tunes.

Seems like my options are:
The W4S Mamp
W4S SX-1000/500 Monos.

Anything else I should consider or wait for or any feedback on the Mamps or sx monos?
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2013, 04:56 am by jackmonkeyhat »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Amps with XLR out
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:11 pm »
I use Hypex Ncore digital amps in my SongTower setup. They are wonderful. There are plenty of posts on these amps on this site. If you don't want to do a kit, you can find them assembled (sometimes for sale used at a slight discount).

guf

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:10 pm »
I used the w4s sx1000 for HT2-TLs, songtowers and SS8s. All with the W4S dac2 as my pre. If i could do it again i's get the less powerful ones and save my self a little money. They had plenty of power. Overall i loved them for the past year. Making a few changes to my system but no plans to change out the sx1000's, yet.

laulau

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2013, 09:54 pm »
You may also want to consider a DSonic Class D amp.
http://www.d-sonic.net/

They are rumored to now be using modules from either Pascal-Audio or Abletech instead of the IcePower modules of past.

I'm currently using one of their stereo models with my ST RAAL/Rythmik HT system and it has been a great performer for  me: gobs of power, dead quiet, articulate, well controlled bass and cool as a cucumber.  I couldn't be happier...well, unless I had a pair of those big 1500 watt monos that I really have no rational need for.    :)

jackmonkeyhat

Re: Amps with XLR inputs
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2013, 06:20 am »
Thanks all. Any idea of sites that sell pre-assembled hypex ncore amps?

strateahed

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2013, 06:49 am »
Here's an industry ad for getting the Hypex built for a reasonable cost IMHO: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118831.msg1249326#msg1249326

You source the parts. Order the amp/power supply modules from Hypex.nl. The case and all the connectors can be purchased directly from Silicon Ray (Google it). Additionally you can go to Parts Connexion if you want add some tweaks or enhancements ... like Cardas XLR inputs, Furutech IEC inlet, or upgraded fuse for power supply. Ship to James Romeyn, or have everything shipped direct from the source. I'm in the process of piecing everything together for the build. Seems like the way to go for someone (like me) who doesn't want to DIY.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2013, 01:44 pm »
Thanks all. Any idea of sites that sell pre-assembled hypex ncore amps?

What this?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120137.msg1263373#msg1263373

Also Kraemer Designs is a vendor on this site, and they sell a very attractive amp.

jackmonkeyhat

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:24 am »
Thanks all. Some of those great threads lead me to the Job 225 amp, which is a definite improvement over my Emotiva XPA-2.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:54 pm »
what about Audio Research

these are true full balanced topography
a lot of units are just balanced connectors

they do balanced right

a little pricey but they are built like a tank and you can find one used on audiogon

SCompRacer

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2013, 06:26 pm »
Another plus for the Wyred SX-1000's.

Monarchy Audio has some small foot print XLR input offerings in various power SS or tube-mosfet configs. My friend has a pair of the SE-100's.

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/Products.htm

ernest787

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2013, 06:33 pm »
I use a crown xls 2000 with my STRT.

I have no complaints at all with it

Ericus Rex

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2013, 06:45 pm »
If you can get around your size constraint the new Rogue ST-100 is a kick butt amp.  Can you handle the tubes?!?!

http://rogueaudio.com/Products_100.htm

Austin08

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2013, 06:59 pm »
If you can get around your size constraint the new Rogue ST-100 is a kick butt amp.  Can you handle the tubes?!?!

http://rogueaudio.com/Products_100.htm

I am fan of Rogue amp. I own a pair of m180s, they are seriously butt-kickers.
Enough to said, IMO, Salk speaker is very revealing speaker as least in my case-the SS8. So choosing the right components is much easier.

loving_it

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:00 pm »
Gents, I'm looking to upgrade the tried and trusted Emotiva XPA-2 and need some guidance.  This is to work with the Song Towers, a Rythmik Sub, the W4s Dac-2  and if I'm lucky a CAPS 3.0

Requirements (aside from sounding better than the emotiva):
-Smaller footprint (width of around 15 inches or less would be ideal)
- Has XLR inputs so I can still run a 2.1 set-up.

Music wise, I'm playing a range of Country, Jazz, 60s - 80s music (digital). At some point I may dust off my vinyl though. If it helps I felt the emotiva/Dac-2 combo was fine, but way of sounding like a live band that I hope I'd get from Norah Jones high res tunes.

Seems like my options are:
The W4S Mamp
W4S SX-1000/500 Monos.

Anything else I should consider or wait for or any feedback on the Mamps or sx monos?

I have a pair of  W4S Mamp along with a W4S  STP-SE its a awesome combo - I would buy the Mamps     Also Peachtree uses the same modules as the Mamps   Peachtree 220 for around 900.00  I had both and they sound very close

spence

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2013, 09:51 pm »
Class D Audio makes great amps at great prices. I've got one, and it crushes my Crown XLS 1500, especially with revealing speakers. If your speakers aren't revealing, then you're ok with the Crowns.